Trizomik

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Hey all,

Its nothing new here but what would you guys do with that:
P4 2.6 HT
Intel D875PBZ running at 800fsb
(fyi: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d875pbz/)
2gb Kingston PC3200 (not value-add if I'm correct, just recently bought)
PSU TrueBlue from Antec
(fyi : http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=22481)
I use sonic tower no fan as heatsink 49 Celsius under load
I got Radeon 9800 pro 128mb

What, or how, would you get this thing faster? OC option are pretty much inexistent, I might have to try to OC the Radeon, I cant recall if I got the option or not. I've already changed the fan on it and this one will not make the whole year.

If I had money, Id change everything out of it, but the more I read about OC the more I'm interested into giving another life to this machine.

I dont expect to receive any solutions, other than buying a new motherboard with OC capability. Who knows, so far I've only read about OC, never did any myself. So lets say that I’m new in this.

Woot...my first post

telim

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Heres what you do. Sell your computer. Sell some other stuff. Or maybe get a temporary job. Make ~$500, then quit. Buy a computer from this century.

My suggestion:

C2D E6300
A 965 based motherboard
2GB of DDR2 Ram (2x1GB Dimms)
Seagate 250GB SATA Hard Drive (if u need a hard drive)
GeForce 7900GT (or something like it). I picked up a new OEM geforce 7900GT for $160 USD and it's great.

Overclock all of the above (Cept the harddrive...)

You'll love it. Worth a little effort in collecting the money.

Your stuff just isn't worth the effort. It'd make a good file-server computer if you can afford to keep it, but not much else. (use it as a torrent-box).

You can't overclock that Radeon 9800 enough to "Breathe new life" into that box. You COULD replace it with a better AGP card (see many articles here at TOM's) like a Radeon X1950 PRO, but thats a waste of money imo since AGP is a dead-end upgrade path wise.

The motherboard/processor isn't really worth much and wont overclock enough to show "Real world" results.

The ram is at least "sellable" but again, obsolete.

Overclocking that system (as it is) will maybe net you 5-15% more preformance.

Its time to dump and run buddy.

Trizomik

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Lucky me, I got a full time job.
Less lucky when it gets to pay the bills.

Anyhow, thats an idea there.

I "just" need to make enough money now ;)

I'm not the greedy type of guy who needs countless GB of space... I got 2 80 gb drive in raid. 160gb to me is plenty!

However I might change to gain more speed...but thats later.

bliq

Distinguished
Lucky me, I got a full time job.
Less lucky when it gets to pay the bills.

Anyhow, thats an idea there.

I "just" need to make enough money now ;)

I'm not the greedy type of guy who needs countless GB of space... I got 2 80 gb drive in raid. 160gb to me is plenty!

However I might change to gain more speed...but thats later.

Speed for what is what I'm wondering... If you just want to play games better, drop $200 into a 1950 pro AGP and that should provide a nice speed bump...

If you need a pure processing speed bump, just replace the mobo and chip. If you want to do it really cheaply, as in maybe $200, get a S939 board and a 3800+ X2 or 4200+ X2. That way you can probably reuse your DDR RAM and your GFX card.

Trizomik

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Here's cheap and faster than what you have:

Keep your power supply, case, and HDDs... doable?

I certainly can keep those. I believe the PSU it pretty good, at least I think.

As for the speed that I mentioned, that was regarding my HDD. Not much to gain in that. I could get raptor but even then, would it worth the money? Dont think so.

I should have mentioned that I'm a gamer, right now I'm pretty maxed out with this machine.

I have thought going for the 1950pro. Yet I think having this amount of money in mobo/cpu/ram upgrade would be better. Even if I have a "cheaper" video card with that setup, it'll be faster.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
go for the x1950 agp, its your best deal, saves you money and you can keep gaming at higher detail in the meantime. dont listen to the first guy who responded telling you to buy a new computer, you clearly DID NOT ask for advice on how to build a new computer. get the x1950 play your games, and save up little by little until you have 750+ to spend on some new hardware. good luck!

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Its nothing new here but what would you guys do with that:
P4 2.6 HT
Intel D875PBZ running at 800fsb
(fyi: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d875pbz/)
2gb Kingston PC3200 (not value-add if I'm correct, just recently bought)
PSU TrueBlue from Antec
(fyi : http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=22481)
I use sonic tower no fan as heatsink 49 Celsius under load
I got Radeon 9800 pro 128mb

Though not new, all your components are high quality. Getting a new PC with the same high quality components will be expensive. If gaming speed is your main problem, get the new ATI 1950Pro AGP card - that should speed your gaming up. And with your components, it is worth the money to upgrade instead of replacing. And maybe you can find a close out special on a Pentium 4 dual core CPU (3.4 or 3.6GHz). That should also give your system a few more years of life.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
hmm, upgrading to a decently priced dual core p4 slipped my mind, good thinking bga. i can't recall if there were dual cores for socket 478, too tired to think right now, worked all night and still havent gone to bed, damn forums :p anyways maybe someone can enlighten us on that one.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
No, there are no dual-cores for 478. The best processor you could get is an EE, and finding one of them will be hard enough, let alone affording it.

Do what they said about the video card. If you feel you want to OC a little, you can get a good 478 board off of ebay for around $50 (that's what I did, my 3.06 Northwood loves the Gigabyte board I found).

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
hmm, upgrading to a decently priced dual core p4 slipped my mind, good thinking bga. i can't recall if there were dual cores for socket 478, too tired to think right now, worked all night and still havent gone to bed, damn forums :p anyways maybe someone can enlighten us on that one.

Well, maybe it was me who was a bit too fast... :roll:
No, there are no dual core Pentium D's for socket 478 - only HT.
But, it is possible to get up to 3.4GHz CPU's for the board, which might be a good idea if they can be found used or in a close-out cheaply (no more than 100USD). It would give some extra speed (20-25%).

See supported CPU's:
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D875PBZ/sb/CS-021825.htm

Trizomik

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I was thinking about some, decent not the best, video card PCI-e.
Out of this I could get a E6300 or E6400 and OC it to some 3ghz.
Why 6400 more than 6300 for the 2mb more.

With that, I think it could spend moderate money for some good power.

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I was thinking about some, decent not the best, video card PCI-e.
Out of this I could get a E6300 or E6400 and OC it to some 3ghz.
Why 6400 more than 6300 for the 2mb more.
With that, I think it could spend moderate money for some good power.

Then you are looking at a complete upgrade. If you want PCI-E, then you need a new motherboard and with it almost everything else needs to be changed. Yes, you can get MB's from Asrock which combines DDR memory with socket 775, but these are non-standard solutions.
To get PCI-E you will need buying MB, CPU, RAM, Graphics card and, as you mention, probably also new PSU.

That looks like a new computer to me!

Better then sell the old (but still very high quality system) and buy a whole new. Harddisk, optical drive and case are the only things you could recycle, but these are not the most expensive parts. Better to sell the old PC as a complete system, and buy a new one. Good new harddisks (like the 320GB Seagate 7200.10) and optical drives are dirt cheap.

A new computer will always be better than the old (especially a overclocked Core2 with a new medium to high end PCI-E card) , but if you want to save, you can, by spending 200-250 USD on the ATI 1950Pro for AGP and maybe 50-100USD for a faster CPU, and get reasonable performance out of your old PC.

Trizomik

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Money wise, I'll see.

I know I can change cpu up to 3.0ghz 512kb.
2.6 to 3.0.... doesn't even worth mentioning it.

A brand new comp is the real solution :)

I bought that old comp Feb.2004.

The best component usually last 3 years, that means around 3000$(Can)
I mean, my comp isn't in its grave, but doesn't do any good for me :p

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
Heres what you do. Sell your computer. Sell some other stuff. Or maybe get a temporary job. Make ~$500, then quit. Buy a computer from this century.

i think you're being a little dramatic there. it depends on what he's using the computer FOR. for anything any normal person would do, it's more than sufficient. if he's gaming and such, it's probably time to upgrade.

however, he DOES have a pc from this century.
the p4 2.6 gig chip was release on August 25, 2002

Valis

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Money wise, I'll see.

I know I can change cpu up to 3.0ghz 512kb.
2.6 to 3.0.... doesn't even worth mentioning it.

I bought that old comp Feb.2004.

The best component usually last 3 years, that means around 3000$(Can)
I mean, my comp isn't in its grave, but doesn't do any good for me :p

Honestly a new video card will keep you gaming for a while yet. Maybe a higher-end Northwood or Prescott if you can get a good deal

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I bought that old comp Feb.2004. I mean, my comp isn't in its grave, but doesn't do any good for me :p

It's always nice with a new PC :D And you should be able to sell the old one or give it to friends or familiy - it's still got some years of good use in it as it is (for a non-gamer that is).

Money wise, I'll see. The best component usually last 3 years, that means around 3000$(Can)
The cost is a consideration, but your next computer should be build with the same philosophy as your current - good components are more important than getting the fastest possible chip. Anyway 3000 Canadian dollars will get you a very good PC, but not the fastest.
I would spend a bit on the graphics card, and then making the compromise with a cheaper overclocked Core2. At this moment I would recommend getting the nvidia 8800GTS. Yes it is costly, but as a gamer it really helps you and it is the cheapest DX10 card right now (ATI R6XX is probably not in the shops before April).

Trizomik

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
If I had to choose today Id prolly go either with E6400 or E6300 (depending price)
8800GTS and corsair for the RAM

As for the mobo anything "decent" that would allow good OC, maybe not the best, but good.

shambling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Heh, sounds like a similar system to mine. My problem is I upgraded my geforce 5200 FX video card to a radeon x1600pro (I was a video card newb at the time). Considering this was at a bestbuy, the card cost considerably more than its worth. :p

I'd say the video card upgrade is definitely the way to go for affordability.

Just thank your lucky stars you've got DDR memory, I'm running on 1gig pc133 SDRAM because my socket 478 is an intel, and it only runs sdram. lol

If I could sell this dang video card back for the $250 it cost me (blagh) I could upgrade to something that might actually play oblivion with some settings turned up to max.