Troubleshooting a STOP CODE error and analysing MEMORY.DMP

One particular server I have is rebooting randomly. The server is not
under any significant load and has very little installed on.

Following the reboot a MEMORY.DMP file is created in the windows folder
and a STOP CODE appears in the event log. After rearching the STOP CODE,
I believe that an application or driver is causing a problem when
accessing the memory. This could be a memory leak or a corrupt piece of
software.

Obviously the information I wish to find is what application or driver
is causing the problem.

Within the log STOP CODE event a memory address is also included. I
assume this is the memory address the application or driver was writing
to when the system failed.

I know that all process and memory information at the time of the
system failure is detailed within the MEMORY.DMP file. This is in
effect a snapshot of my system when the server crashed.

The STOP CODE provides me with the address in the memory where the
problem occurred and the MEMORY.DMP provides a detailed snapshot of the
memory activity at the time of the crash. If I analyse the MEMORY.DMP I
can find the memory address listed in the event log and the hopefully
establish the process which was using the memory block at the time.

My question(s) is......

1) How can I analyse the MEMORY.DMP file? If I can interogate I can
find the memory address and the associated process informtion.

2) There are two MEMORY.DMP debugging applications I can use?? (KD.EXE
& WINDBG.EXE), should I follow this route?

3) If I do follow the route in number 2, would the performance of the
server be impacted when analysing the file?

4) Are there any other courses of action I should follow?

Thanks

--
TheMagpie
TheMagpie's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=3829

Well, first step you can do it is, get the code from the system log and
search on the google, it quite likely you will get something against stop
code.
windbg help file and how to use should be available on MS site, please check
that....as well.

if you can afford calling MS, it will be ready made thing 4 u

thanks

"TheMagpie" <TheMagpie.1veq3d@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

> One particular server I have is rebooting randomly. The server is not
> under any significant load and has very little installed on.
>
> Following the reboot a MEMORY.DMP file is created in the windows folder
> and a STOP CODE appears in the event log. After rearching the STOP CODE,
> I believe that an application or driver is causing a problem when
> accessing the memory. This could be a memory leak or a corrupt piece of
> software.
>
> Obviously the information I wish to find is what application or driver
> is causing the problem.
>
> Within the log STOP CODE event a memory address is also included. I
> assume this is the memory address the application or driver was writing
> to when the system failed.
>
> I know that all process and memory information at the time of the
> system failure is detailed within the MEMORY.DMP file. This is in
> effect a snapshot of my system when the server crashed.
>
> The STOP CODE provides me with the address in the memory where the
> problem occurred and the MEMORY.DMP provides a detailed snapshot of the
> memory activity at the time of the crash. If I analyse the MEMORY.DMP I
> can find the memory address listed in the event log and the hopefully
> establish the process which was using the memory block at the time.
>

> My question(s) is......
>
> 1) How can I analyse the MEMORY.DMP file? If I can interogate I can
> find the memory address and the associated process informtion.
>
> 2) There are two MEMORY.DMP debugging applications I can use?? (KD.EXE
> & WINDBG.EXE), should I follow this route?
>
> 3) If I do follow the route in number 2, would the performance of the
> server be impacted when analysing the file?
>
> 4) Are there any other courses of action I should follow?
>

> Thanks
>

> --
> TheMagpie
> TheMagpie's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=3829

I know the STOP CODE refers to an application which is performing an
illegal operation at a specified memory address.

I was wondering if anyone had analysed the MEMORY.DMP file before and
if so what approach and / or utility did they use?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks