Opening an e-mail attachment

I have received an attachment to an e-mail that ends in .dat. I have tried
using Notepad and Excel to open it and they do not work. How do I open a
file ending in .dat?

Thanks

It is a data base file. Try opening it with a database if you have one.
Otherwise, reply to the email and ask the sender what program to use.

"STEWART STECKEL" <pvstew@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have received an attachment to an e-mail that ends in .dat. I have tried
>using Notepad and Excel to open it and they do not work. How do I open a
>file ending in .dat?
>
> Thanks

See if this fits your situation
http://www.gpc.edu/~jbenson/resource/winmail.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"STEWART STECKEL" <pvstew@verizon.net> wrote in message
| I have received an attachment to an e-mail that ends in .dat. I have
tried
| using Notepad and Excel to open it and they do not work. How do I open a
| file ending in .dat?
|
| Thanks

Hi Stewart,

DAT files can be anything (video, text, or proprietory file-type used by an
application etc).

For example:
Video CDs usually contain the movie files (.DAT extension).
Internet Explorer maintains an Index.DAT (with can be handled only by IE)

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=.dat

If the attachment was from a trusted source, you need to ask the sender to
know what file format is that, and which application to use. In case of
video files, you should be able to view using Windows Media Player.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User