User profile redeploiment

After DC total crash I reinstalled w3k server from zero. I had to rejoin
clients back to domain.

Now I lost profile of one of the clients rsulting that Office, aplication
data and specially Outlook Express datafiles are under the old profile.

What is the best practice to get them back? Suppose that copying everything
from oldusername/Documents and Settings/ under newusername/Documents and
settings/ isn't the right way?

If I check from Controlpanel/System/ User Profiles/ there is not anymore
left the profile which was the right one.

Regards,

Juha
2 answers Last reply
More about user profile redeploiment

    Juha wrote:

    > After DC total crash I reinstalled w3k server from zero. I had to rejoin
    > clients back to domain.
    >
    > Now I lost profile of one of the clients rsulting that Office, aplication
    > data and specially Outlook Express datafiles are under the old profile.
    >
    > What is the best practice to get them back? Suppose that copying everything
    > from oldusername/Documents and Settings/ under newusername/Documents and
    > settings/ isn't the right way?
    >
    > If I check from Controlpanel/System/ User Profiles/ there is not anymore
    > left the profile which was the right one.

    Hi,

    I solve this by (in the registry) changing the profile path for
    the new user to point to the old user's profile folder (the user
    needs to log on at least once first).

    From: Bruce Sanderson (bsanders@junk.junk)
    Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D%24NPCHA.612%40tkmsftngp08

    and
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment/msg/5a5820a4d9e9a275?dmode=source&hl=en

    If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
    permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
    http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

    More here as well:

    Subject: Lost profile when domain name changes
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory/browse_frm/thread/911123d016f22ef1/3df2c9e942dd2f87#3df2c9e942dd2f87

    HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks Torgeir

    This makes perfectly sence. I will test it.

    Juha Rimmi

    ================

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > Juha wrote:
    >
    > > After DC total crash I reinstalled w3k server from zero. I had to rejoin
    > > clients back to domain.
    > >
    > > Now I lost profile of one of the clients rsulting that Office, aplication
    > > data and specially Outlook Express datafiles are under the old profile.
    > >
    > > What is the best practice to get them back? Suppose that copying everything
    > > from oldusername/Documents and Settings/ under newusername/Documents and
    > > settings/ isn't the right way?
    > >
    > > If I check from Controlpanel/System/ User Profiles/ there is not anymore
    > > left the profile which was the right one.
    > >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I solve this by (in the registry) changing the profile path for
    > the new user to point to the old user's profile folder (the user
    > needs to log on at least once first).
    >

    > From: Bruce Sanderson (bsanders@junk.junk)
    > Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    > Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D%24NPCHA.612%40tkmsftngp08
    >
    > and
    > http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment/msg/5a5820a4d9e9a275?dmode=source&hl=en
    >

    > If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
    > permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
    > http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.
    >

    > More here as well:
    >
    > Subject: Lost profile when domain name changes
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory/browse_frm/thread/911123d016f22ef1/3df2c9e942dd2f87#3df2c9e942dd2f87
    >

    > HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Windows