SP

Using W2kSP4 and a separate physical HD for storing data. Shocked to
find that all my files on this data HD are gone! The folder structure is
intact but each folder has 0 bytes. Security was unlimited for these
files, i.e., everbody was given access and this setting remains
unchanged. This is a stand-alone (not networked) computer. No new
programs were installed. The computer has broadband acess to internet
using a router.
Any ideas what could cause files to disappear? Spybot shows no problems.
(These were important work files needed in my job)

Help

That is strange, and really shouldn't happen unless you do have a virus,
or someone messed with it. There is a way, since deleting files only
removes the information needed to -find- the files until something else
is written over them. I believe there is software available.
I found several at 'http://download.com.' (http://www.download.com/) Do
a search for "file recovery" and you'll get some responses. However, I
have never tried any of these, so I can't recommend a certain one for
your needs.
Hope it will help.

--
Jucy

"SP" <Sp@maI.NET> wrote in message
> Using W2kSP4 and a separate physical HD for storing data. Shocked to
> find that all my files on this data HD are gone! The folder structure is
> intact but each folder has 0 bytes. Security was unlimited for these
> files, i.e., everbody was given access and this setting remains
> unchanged. This is a stand-alone (not networked) computer. No new
> programs were installed. The computer has broadband acess to internet
> using a router.
> Any ideas what could cause files to disappear? Spybot shows no problems.
> (These were important work files needed in my job)
>
> Help

I once had a client who suffered much the same fate. The
problem was caused by a virus attached to an EMail. He
subsequently installed a virus scanner, then restored his
files from his backup tape.