Fix problem STOP INACCESSIBLE_BOOT-DEVICE

How do I resolve this problem? My win2k system running on a Raid 1
mirror suddenly will not boot up and gives a STOP
INNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when it starts to load the operating
system. The two hard drives seem to be OK according to the WD Data
Lifeguard Diagnostics. Recently installed the win2k service pak 4.
Any ideas? Have been running AVG anti-virus and Zone Alarm. The raid
hardware is a Promise chipset on an ASUS MB and has worked fine for a
year.

--
Burl
Burl's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=5126

You might try loading the controller driver from floppy. For the floppy to
successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector.
Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the "NT"
boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and
boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the
machine you wish to boot.

In order for this to work you'll want to change the arc path in boot.ini
from multi syntax to scsi syntax to indicate that Windows will load a boot
device driver and use that driver to access the boot partition. Then also
copy the correct manufacturer raid controller driver to the floppy but
renamed to ntbootdd.sys

Something like this below;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
[operating systems]
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 0,1"
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 0,2"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Windows 1,1"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\winnt="Windows 1,2"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]