Just wanted to say thanks

FatBurger

Illustrious
Just wanted to say thanks to all the residents of the CRT forum. I did some reading here and got opinions from friends and decided on the Misubishi DiamondTron 920 19" aperture grille.

Now I just have to wait for PriceGrabber to come back up so I can get the price I found an hour ago :frown:

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

zigzag

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
What is PriceGrabber? Something like pricewatch.com? Also, what made you decide on the mitsubishi? I'm asking cause I really need a new monitor, but want to invest in a quality 19" Thanks!

-zigzag

FatBurger

Illustrious
Look up and to the left. PriceGrabber! :wink:

I decided on the Mitsubishi/NEC because it has the highest refresh rate at 1600x1200 in the $250-400 class, and also has a .24mm dot pitch, whereas most of the others had .25mm. A coworker said that the DiamondTron tube is the best too.

There was a Hitachi for ~$280 that was .20mm dot pitch, but I'm not sure I trust Hitachi.

zigzag

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
What do you mainly use your setup for? Gaming? Text (coding)? I'm just wondering what exactly you looked for in this monitor. Thanks again.

-zigzag

logger

Distinguished
May 1, 2002
Why not the cornerstone P2460? It does have a higher refresh rate, and resolution than the Misubishi and its 80 bucks less at monitorsdirect.com.

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's only $30 less, has the same resolution and refresh rates, and isn't a brand I've heard of. Besides, I already ordered the Mitsubishi :smile:

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
No! My p1750, p2450 and p2460 use the Mitsubishi NF CRTs but they are not manufactured by Mitsubishi. In fact Mitsubishi does not even manufacture monitors anymore since they merged with NEC.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
No, there is much more to a monitor than the CRT. A monitor with an average CRT mated with better electronics and alignment will be much better than a good CRT mated with poor electronics. Just because Samsung uses Mitsubishi CRT in their 900NF and 1200NF make them Mitsubishi monitors?

The FE950+ matches better with my p2450 than it does to the p2460. The FE950 is only a 96Khz monitor like the p2450. Both are optimized for 1280 x 1024 at 85Hz. The p2460 is a 117Khz monitor optimized for 1600 x 1200 at 85Hz. For only $199 and a standard 5-year warranty you cannot beat the p2450.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

logger

Distinguished
May 1, 2002
Ok, Thanks
Do you think the the 2560 is worth the extra 90 comparred to the 2450, or round the diff in specs be minute in performance? How would the 2560 compare to the p1450? I read about the 1450 but I havent seen it anywhere for sale.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I would be VERY hesitant at buying any monitor that can only run visibly well at resolutions of 1280x1024 or worse, 1600x1200. I can't possibly imagine how anyone would want to use 1600x1200 on all but the largest 24" monitors or a plasma screen. It really doesn't make much sense why a monitor manufacturer would aim for those kinds of resolutions. At some point, doesn't it become hard for a person to read text that's on the screen when it's at such high resolutions? Having to squint or wear glasses when using the computer is what you're going to have to do if you get any of these monitors that only run well in those resolutions. Keep in mind you may use this monitor for many, many years...

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Logger

The p2450 and p2460 are built on the same chassis, the only difference between them is resolution / refresh rate capabilities. The p1450/p1460 have been discontinued due because Hitachi stopped making the CRT's used in those models.

Cake

The beauty of the OS and all applications is the fact that fonts etc, are all scaleable. If they are too small at high resolution simply increase them. Then you get the best of both worlds, high resolution and easy to read text. Just because a monitor is optimized to run 1600 x 1200 does not mean you cannot run it at lower resolutions. If you don't plan on using 1600 x 1200 you can save some $ and purchase one optimized for lower resolution.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / MOnitorsdirect.com

logger

Distinguished
May 1, 2002
So correct me if I am wrong but your saying all cornerstones run poorly at low resolutions? I understand that few people would ever read text at 1600x1200,but I am looking for a monitor that would be great for games and low res text. I usually run text at 1024x768T
Thanks for your input

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
No not at all, what I'm saying is there is a reason manufactures have more than one model of each size. For example I have 5 21” models ranging from 1280 x 1024 up to 2048 x 1536 resolution. Why would anyone purchase a monitor optimized for 2048 x 1536 and run it at 1280 x 1024? Yes the image will look good it’s simply a waist of money. It’s like buying a Ferrari and driving it at 55MPH.

If you want to run 1024 x 768 or lower you are better of with a 17” monitor.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitrosdirect.com

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Hmm... well we're getting into matters of personal preference here, but I disagree. Software and OS's aren't as good at doing what you describe as you might hope. Unfortunately increasing text size is one thing, but there are no things to automatically increase graphic size. You could use things like Windows accessibility to enlarge certain portions of the screen, but get real, why do this when you can ditch it entirely and read everything you need to read at a single resolution, without using an on-screen magnifying glass?

Also, games are really impractical at 1280x1024. At these high resolutions, some games actually do not scale. The on screen text and graphic displays become smaller and smaller until you cannot see them anymore let alone read them.

logger

Distinguished
May 1, 2002
Hey!! Wait a minute somebody here is missinformed, and I think that it's me. I thought that when you played games you wanted to max out the res like 16x12 if possible, but your saying that even 12x10 is too high. What resoultion is usually the optimal res for playing games?
I was thing about getting the cornerstone2460 because it has the higher res(which I thought I would use for games but not text. If what your saying is true though the 2460 would be a waste of 100bucks so I should just go for the 2450.
Help

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Cake

Because you need to pan and scroll around the screen in lower resolutions (major distraction) if you ask me. This is why I prefer larger fonts etc. at higher resolutions. Any program worth anything scales graphics also. Enabling them is simple in windows and most other popular OS.

Logger

It depends on the game you have. Some scale fine others do not. For those that do 1600 x 1200 is great.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I do not set prices so I cant say. You can try calling our sales team and ask them. I doubt they can do anything on the p2450 since its price at $199 is so low to begin with.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

FatBurger

Illustrious
Just got my monitor from UPS, and all I can say is:

<b>HOLY [-peep-] [-peep-]!!!</b>

This thing is only a 19" but weighs 50.7 pounds. Definitely the biggest monitor I or any of my friends has. I just about ruptured a hernia trying to get it into my car and then getting it into my house.

So far the picutre quality is good. Text is nice and sharp (at the recommended 1280x1024@85Hz). Haven't played any games yet. The conrols for the monitor are simple and complete, which is nice.

Definitely a big change from my crappy 17", and a huge change from the 15" I was using in the interim.

Well, I'm off for dinner and then some Morrowind. Or maybe I'll play some UT at 1600x1200 :cool: