Windows Explorer start folder

February 1, 2005 2:19:02 PM

How do I set Explorer to open a certain folder (e.g., c:\ rather than My
Documents) when it starts up? Hope there's a simple answer :-)

Paul
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:28:25 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:19:02 -0800, stumped wrote:

> How do I set Explorer to open a certain folder (e.g., c:\ rather than My
> Documents) when it starts up? Hope there's a simple answer :-)
>
> Paul

Create a shortcut to explorer.exe. In the properties, edit the target path
so that it looks like this:

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e,<type the path to the folder here>

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi Paul,

By default, Windows Explorer always opens with My Documents. Customize it by
changing the properties for the Windows Explorer icon and replace the Target
field with: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e, c:\yourfolder

1. Right click on the icon you use to launch Explorer and select Properties.
2. In the Target box, type (or replace the existing text with) the
following:

%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /e, path

Where in place of path above you should enter the actual path to the
directory you want open by default. For example C:\Windows, or C:\Documents
and Settings, etc. To have My Computer listed as the default selection, type
explorer.exe /e,

Explorer.exe Command-Line Options for Windows XP

Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP

Have Windows Explorer Default to the %SystemRoot% Drive When Started:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257518

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User