transfer accounts

Hello Everyone,

I'm building a replacement server for a hardware refresh of an aging
platform. the server in question has a lot of local accounts on it. Is
there a way to transfer those accounts to the new machine?

In news:Omg66UsuFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Andy Welcomer <dowelcomer@state.pa.us> typed:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm building a replacement server for a hardware refresh of an aging
> platform. the server in question has a lot of local accounts on it.
> Is there a way to transfer those accounts to the new machine?

You can do a system state backup & restore it to the new server, or you can
image the whole shebang using third party tools and create a clone (you may
need to tweak drivers if your hardware is vastly different). I'm not sure
whether "aging platform" means it's not running W2000/2003, though....if so,
what is it running?

Problem is we don't have software that can clone a machine with disimiliar
hardware.

the platform is running 2000 however its about 6 years old and the hardware
is failing. To do a clean reuild will be very diffecult as its a machine in
a workgroup, using only local accounts. there are about 50 accounts on it.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> In news:Omg66UsuFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Andy Welcomer <dowelcomer@state.pa.us> typed:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I'm building a replacement server for a hardware refresh of an aging
> > platform. the server in question has a lot of local accounts on it.
> > Is there a way to transfer those accounts to the new machine?
>
> You can do a system state backup & restore it to the new server, or you
can
> image the whole shebang using third party tools and create a clone (you
may
> need to tweak drivers if your hardware is vastly different). I'm not sure
> whether "aging platform" means it's not running W2000/2003, though....if
so,
> what is it running?

I tried a system state backup of the old and restore on the new. No
success. Any other suggestions??

Thanks for everything.

>I tried a system state backup of the old and restore on the new. No
> success.

What happened? What errors did you see? Was the new box built with W2000 and
the same SP as the old one?

> Any other suggestions??

With 50 users, implement a domain. I don't like workgroups when there are
more PCs than I have fingers on one hand, and I don't have an unusual number
of same. Centralized account databases mean your life is a lot easier.

> Thanks for everything.
>

> "Andy Welcomer" <dowelcomer@state.pa.us> wrote in message
>> Problem is we don't have software that can clone a machine with
>> disimiliar
>> hardware.
>>
>> the platform is running 2000 however its about 6 years old and the
> hardware
>> is failing. To do a clean reuild will be very diffecult as its a machine
> in
>> a workgroup, using only local accounts. there are about 50 accounts on
> it.
>>

>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> message
>> >

>> > In news:Omg66UsuFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> > Andy Welcomer <dowelcomer@state.pa.us> typed:

>> > You can do a system state backup & restore it to the new server, or you
>> can
>> > image the whole shebang using third party tools and create a clone (you
>> may
>> > need to tweak drivers if your hardware is vastly different). I'm not
> sure
>> > whether "aging platform" means it's not running W2000/2003,
>> > though....if
>> so,
>> > what is it running?

Have you tried the Active Directory Migration Tool?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/activedirectory/admt.asp
See if this will work for you. I've used it for migrating NT4 to 2000 and
2000 to 2003 domains, not sure if you're just moving to a new box or updating
server software also, but it sould do the job for you.