Windows Server Sharing Problem

I have a windows 2000 server set up with ADS. I have another server (windows
2003 standard) that just belongs to the domain as a "regular" computer. I
use it as a file server. I have a DATA drive in the 2003 box that is shared
to the rest of the network. It's been working for about 8 months...then my
OS hard-drive crashed (in the 03 box). I put in a new HD and reinstalled the
OS. Now all of a sudden, I get this error when my windows 98 clients try to
attach to the shared drive.

Error 2215: The logon server cannot be found. For more information, contact
your nework administrator.

I've done the typical Knowledge base search and tried the fixes there. One
of the fixes was to remove the 98 machine and set it up to use a
workgroup...then re-add it to the domain... (something about using cached
credentials). Unfortunately that didn't work... any ideas what might be
happenning?

The 2003 box never was set up to do any type of authentification....just a
simple share with Everyone set to have FULL access.

Many thanks in advance!

Tim

In news:3CC0A68D-DFB4-4A7C-A244-58899C98367E@microsoft.com,
tbrand68 <tbrand68@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I have a windows 2000 server set up with ADS. I have another server
> (windows 2003 standard) that just belongs to the domain as a
> "regular" computer. I use it as a file server. I have a DATA drive
> in the 2003 box that is shared to the rest of the network. It's been
> working for about 8 months...then my OS hard-drive crashed (in the 03
> box). I put in a new HD and reinstalled the OS. Now all of a sudden,
> I get this error when my windows 98 clients try to attach to the
> shared drive.
>
> Error 2215: The logon server cannot be found. For more information,
> contact your nework administrator.
>
> I've done the typical Knowledge base search and tried the fixes
> there. One of the fixes was to remove the 98 machine and set it up
> to use a workgroup...then re-add it to the domain... (something about
> using cached credentials). Unfortunately that didn't work... any
> ideas what might be happenning?
>
> The 2003 box never was set up to do any type of
> authentification....just a simple share with Everyone set to have
> FULL access.
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> Tim

This is a member server once more, right? Did you remove the old computer
account from the domain before joining the "new" one (presuming you used the
same server name)?
Can you connect to the shares on this server from another server/the DC?
Any non-Win9x clients having problems connecting?
Event logs ?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:3CC0A68D-DFB4-4A7C-A244-58899C98367E@microsoft.com,
> tbrand68 <tbrand68@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > I have a windows 2000 server set up with ADS. I have another server
> > (windows 2003 standard) that just belongs to the domain as a
> > "regular" computer. I use it as a file server. I have a DATA drive
> > in the 2003 box that is shared to the rest of the network. It's been
> > working for about 8 months...then my OS hard-drive crashed (in the 03
> > box). I put in a new HD and reinstalled the OS. Now all of a sudden,
> > I get this error when my windows 98 clients try to attach to the
> > shared drive.
> >
> > Error 2215: The logon server cannot be found. For more information,
> > contact your nework administrator.
> >
> > I've done the typical Knowledge base search and tried the fixes
> > there. One of the fixes was to remove the 98 machine and set it up
> > to use a workgroup...then re-add it to the domain... (something about
> > using cached credentials). Unfortunately that didn't work... any
> > ideas what might be happenning?
> >
> > The 2003 box never was set up to do any type of
> > authentification....just a simple share with Everyone set to have
> > FULL access.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance!
> >
> > Tim
>
> This is a member server once more, right? Did you remove the old computer
> account from the domain before joining the "new" one (presuming you used the
> same server name)?
> Can you connect to the shares on this server from another server/the DC?
> Any non-Win9x clients having problems connecting?
> Event logs ?

I'm not sure what you mean by a Member Server... it is a member of the
domain if that's what that means...

Windows XP clients have no problem connecting....

I used the same name, and had the problem... (I did remove the old one
first), so I've tried changing the name to a new one...even used a new IP for
the box.

This is the only thing I can match in the log that is remotely possible...
the times don't exactly match.... (I try to connect the drive at say 10:47
and this pops up sortly after... no entry at 10:47...make sense?)
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1030
Date: 9/16/2005
Time: 10:53:53 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: DATASRV5
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event
log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that
describes the reason for this.

In news:90820D5F-466A-4293-AE1A-11D42258255D@microsoft.com,
tbrand68 <tbrand68@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>

>> In news:3CC0A68D-DFB4-4A7C-A244-58899C98367E@microsoft.com,
>> tbrand68 <tbrand68@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> I have a windows 2000 server set up with ADS. I have another server
>>> (windows 2003 standard) that just belongs to the domain as a
>>> "regular" computer. I use it as a file server. I have a DATA drive
>>> in the 2003 box that is shared to the rest of the network. It's
>>> been working for about 8 months...then my OS hard-drive crashed (in
>>> the 03 box). I put in a new HD and reinstalled the OS. Now all of
>>> a sudden, I get this error when my windows 98 clients try to attach
>>> to the shared drive.
>>>
>>> Error 2215: The logon server cannot be found. For more information,
>>> contact your nework administrator.
>>>
>>> I've done the typical Knowledge base search and tried the fixes
>>> there. One of the fixes was to remove the 98 machine and set it up
>>> to use a workgroup...then re-add it to the domain... (something
>>> about using cached credentials). Unfortunately that didn't work...
>>> any ideas what might be happenning?
>>>
>>> The 2003 box never was set up to do any type of
>>> authentification....just a simple share with Everyone set to have
>>> FULL access.
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Tim
>>
>> This is a member server once more, right? Did you remove the old
>> computer account from the domain before joining the "new" one
>> (presuming you used the same server name)?
>> Can you connect to the shares on this server from another server/the
>> DC? Any non-Win9x clients having problems connecting?
>> Event logs ?
>>
> I'm not sure what you mean by a Member Server... it is a member of the
> domain if that's what that means...

Yes.

> Windows XP clients have no problem connecting....
>
> I used the same name, and had the problem... (I did remove the old one
> first), so I've tried changing the name to a new one...even used a
> new IP for the box.

DNS and WINS entries correct?

> This is the only thing I can match in the log that is remotely
> possible... the times don't exactly match.... (I try to connect the
> drive at say 10:47 and this pops up sortly after... no entry at
> 10:47...make sense?)
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Userenv
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1030
> Date: 9/16/2005
> Time: 10:53:53 AM
> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> Computer: DATASRV5
> Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the
> event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy
> engine that describes the reason for this.

Download and run netdiag.exe (it's on the MS downloads site - google it) on
this server.

Also try looking at www.eventid.net

Win9x doesn't really belong on a business network, if you ask me - you might
wish to post in a group for win9x issues for more help as it's been so long
since I used it I'm not of much use.