Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Playing games for older versions of Windows on Win 2K?

Tags:
  • Games
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:08:06 PM

Hi, my kids have several games/animated storybooks CD ROMS that we'd like to
use with Win 2K but can't. Sometimes it will let us install the program and
run part of it and then quit, sometimes we'll get an error message right off
the bat!
I saw instructions on how to use the compatibility tab on Windows XP to be
able to run legaxy applications. Is there a similar fix for Win 2k? It's
very frustrating not to be able to use all those CD ROMS. Most of them are
Disney/Time Warner Interactive. I've tried changing the display option but
it usually won't help.
Thanks for any insight!

More about : playing games older versions windows win

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:36:55 PM

Maybe you are refering to this?

Description of the Application Compatibility Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;251062

Nathalie wrote:
> Hi, my kids have several games/animated storybooks CD ROMS that we'd like to
> use with Win 2K but can't. Sometimes it will let us install the program and
> run part of it and then quit, sometimes we'll get an error message right off
> the bat!
> I saw instructions on how to use the compatibility tab on Windows XP to be
> able to run legaxy applications. Is there a similar fix for Win 2k? It's
> very frustrating not to be able to use all those CD ROMS. Most of them are
> Disney/Time Warner Interactive. I've tried changing the display option but
> it usually won't help.
> Thanks for any insight!
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:36:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess that could be it, although at the bottom of
the page you are referring to, it says:
APPLIES TO
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition

I'm not on a server, just a stand alone PC running Win 2K, so you think then
that this program would work? And since I can't locate my Win 2K disk right
now, I can't check to see if it's on the disk. The application doesn't seem
to be avaialble for download from Microsoft either. I guess I'd better get
busy finding that disk :)

If anyone else has any other suggestions, thanks for sharing them :)

"Bob I" wrote:

> Maybe you are refering to this?
>
> Description of the Application Compatibility Tool
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;251062
>
> Nathalie wrote:
> > Hi, my kids have several games/animated storybooks CD ROMS that we'd like to
> > use with Win 2K but can't. Sometimes it will let us install the program and
> > run part of it and then quit, sometimes we'll get an error message right off
> > the bat!
> > I saw instructions on how to use the compatibility tab on Windows XP to be
> > able to run legaxy applications. Is there a similar fix for Win 2k? It's
> > very frustrating not to be able to use all those CD ROMS. Most of them are
> > Disney/Time Warner Interactive. I've tried changing the display option but
> > it usually won't help.
> > Thanks for any insight!

September 16, 2005 10:57:01 PM

Windows 2000 Professional Edition is the workstation (standard) 2000
operating system. If you aren't running server software, you are running
2000 professional.

"Nathalie" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I guess that could be it, although at the bottom of
> the page you are referring to, it says:
> APPLIES TO
> Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
> • Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
> • Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
>
> I'm not on a server, just a stand alone PC running Win 2K, so you think then
> that this program would work? And since I can't locate my Win 2K disk right
> now, I can't check to see if it's on the disk. The application doesn't seem
> to be avaialble for download from Microsoft either. I guess I'd better get
> busy finding that disk :)
>
> If anyone else has any other suggestions, thanks for sharing them :)
>

> "Bob I" wrote:
>
> > Maybe you are refering to this?
> >
> > Description of the Application Compatibility Tool
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;251062
> >
> > Nathalie wrote:
> > > Hi, my kids have several games/animated storybooks CD ROMS that we'd like to
> > > use with Win 2K but can't. Sometimes it will let us install the program and
> > > run part of it and then quit, sometimes we'll get an error message right off
> > > the bat!
> > > I saw instructions on how to use the compatibility tab on Windows XP to be
> > > able to run legaxy applications. Is there a similar fix for Win 2k? It's
> > > very frustrating not to be able to use all those CD ROMS. Most of them are
> > > Disney/Time Warner Interactive. I've tried changing the display option but
> > > it usually won't help.
> > > Thanks for any insight!

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 3:28:20 AM