Printer spooler service

I had a virus and lost my print driver. Wnen I try to add printer I get
message -- The print spooler service in not running. I do I resolve this.
I am using XP Pro and tried to reload. Cannot update current system without
deleting old system. Is there a way to upgrade a current system with the
original disk??
8 answers Last reply
More about printer spooler service

    Doyle wrote:
    > I had a virus and lost my print driver. Wnen I try to add printer I get
    > message -- The print spooler service in not running. I do I resolve this.
    > I am using XP Pro and tried to reload. Cannot update current system without
    > deleting old system. Is there a way to upgrade a current system with the
    > original disk??

    You shouldn't need to do anything but restart the service.

    Right click My computer and select manage. Now look for
    Services and and Applications. Expand and click on services
    now go down the list until you find print spooler, right
    click and select start. Then right click again on Print
    spooler and go to properties and select Start up Type:
    Automatic

    gls858

    Thank you, very helpful.

    Doyle wrote:
    > Thank you, very helpful.
    >
    > "gls858" wrote:
    >

    >>Doyle wrote:
    >>
    >>>I had a virus and lost my print driver. Wnen I try to add printer I get
    >>>message -- The print spooler service in not running. I do I resolve this.
    >>>I am using XP Pro and tried to reload. Cannot update current system without
    >>>deleting old system. Is there a way to upgrade a current system with the
    >>>original disk??
    >>
    >>You shouldn't need to do anything but restart the service.
    >>
    >>Right click My computer and select manage. Now look for
    >>Services and and Applications. Expand and click on services
    >>now go down the list until you find print spooler, right
    >>click and select start. Then right click again on Print
    >>spooler and go to properties and select Start up Type:
    >>Automatic
    >>
    >>gls858

    Your welcome. thanks for posting back.

    gls858

    I've got the same problem after loading SP2. Among other fix attempts, I've
    tried the one you mentioned below and still cannot "Add a Printer". Any
    suggestions would be most appreciated.

    Thanks
    dastreb

    dastreb wrote:
    > I've got the same problem after loading SP2. Among other fix attempts, I've
    > tried the one you mentioned below and still cannot "Add a Printer". Any
    > suggestions would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > dastreb
    >
    > "gls858" wrote:
    >

    >>Doyle wrote:
    >>
    >>>I had a virus and lost my print driver. Wnen I try to add printer I get
    >>>message -- The print spooler service in not running. I do I resolve this.
    >>>I am using XP Pro and tried to reload. Cannot update current system without
    >>>deleting old system. Is there a way to upgrade a current system with the
    >>>original disk??
    >>
    >>You shouldn't need to do anything but restart the service.
    >>
    >>Right click My computer and select manage. Now look for
    >>Services and and Applications. Expand and click on services
    >>now go down the list until you find print spooler, right
    >>click and select start. Then right click again on Print
    >>spooler and go to properties and select Start up Type:
    >>Automatic
    >>
    >>gls858

    Any error messages?

    gls858

    Thanks for the quick reply...

    When trying to Add Printer, error message says:
    "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running"

    I've tried to manually start the print spooler, but it turns off immediately
    after the restart. I've tried going into the regedit to delete print drivers.
    Nothing seems to get this puppy kick started.

    Any ideas?

    dastreb wrote:
    > Thanks for the quick reply...
    >
    > When trying to Add Printer, error message says:
    > "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running"
    >
    > I've tried to manually start the print spooler, but it turns off immediately
    > after the restart. I've tried going into the regedit to delete print drivers.
    > Nothing seems to get this puppy kick started.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > "gls858" wrote:
    >

    >>dastreb wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've got the same problem after loading SP2. Among other fix attempts, I've
    >>>tried the one you mentioned below and still cannot "Add a Printer". Any
    >>>suggestions would be most appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>dastreb

    >>Any error messages?
    >>
    >>gls858

    Just a WAG.
    By chance do you have a Lexmark printer?
    If so here's a link to a KB article that may
    help:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757

    gls858

    Thanks for the suggestion, but that was also one of the things I tried. No
    Lexmark. Before the SP2 update I only had an old HP Laserjet 4L and Acrobat
    as printers.

    Not sure what else can be done.

    Thanks again.

    "gls858" wrote:

    > dastreb wrote:
    > > Thanks for the quick reply...
    > >
    > > When trying to Add Printer, error message says:
    > > "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running"
    > >
    > > I've tried to manually start the print spooler, but it turns off immediately
    > > after the restart. I've tried going into the regedit to delete print drivers.
    > > Nothing seems to get this puppy kick started.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    > >>Any error messages?
    > >>
    > >>gls858
    > >>
    > Just a WAG.
    > By chance do you have a Lexmark printer?
    > If so here's a link to a KB article that may
    > help:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757
    >
    > gls858

Print Spooler Microsoft Printers Windows XP