Automating Microsoft Client and File & Print Sharing Insta..

jeff

I am working with a large enterprise environment that needs to have the
Microsoft Client and File & Print Sharing services installed on 15,000 plus
machines running Win95, Win98, Win2K, and WinXP. Does anyone know if there
is an automation process to allow this to occur? The environment is moving
away from being a traditional Netware shop to a Microsoft shop and we need to
get some enterprise managed software installed which required the Microsoft
Client for Windows and File and Print Services to be installed. We want to
eliminate having to touch each machine.

Can this process work through some sort of WSH, ActiveX, etc.? Has anyone
ever done this? HELP!!!!

Thanks.

Jeff wrote:

> I am working with a large enterprise environment that needs to have the
> Microsoft Client and File & Print Sharing services installed on 15,000 plus
> machines running Win95, Win98, Win2K, and WinXP. Does anyone know if there
> is an automation process to allow this to occur? The environment is moving
> away from being a traditional Netware shop to a Microsoft shop and we need to
> get some enterprise managed software installed which required the Microsoft
> Client for Windows and File and Print Services to be installed. We want to
> eliminate having to touch each machine.
>
> Can this process work through some sort of WSH, ActiveX, etc.? Has anyone
> ever done this? HELP!!!!
Hi,

The below applies only to Win2k and WinXP, and not Win9x.

You might get something to work with snetcfg.exe.

If you want to use Snetcfg.exe to _enable_ File & Print Sharing (F&PS
already installed, but the checkbox is not checked), you will have to
uninstall F&PS first, and then install again (using snetcfg.exe for
both tasks). This will make the checkbox checked.

I suggest you use a computer startup script (with a GPO) that runs as
part of the boot up process (before the user logs in). It runs under
the system context and has admin rights. You should let the script
create a registry marker that the script tests on so it does the job
only once for each computer, to avoid doing this at every computer
startup.

To be able to access files over the network from the computer startup
script, you could put the file(s) on a network share and grant read
access for the AD group "Domain Computers" to the share.

Alternatively, from the startup script, you could map a drive on
the fly, like this:

sDomainUser = "arp.corp\computer_fix"
sPswd = "something"

Set oNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive _
"Y:", "\\server\netlogon\some folder",, sDomainUser, sPswd

More about snetcfg.exe and F&PS here:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript/msg/bc2ef5a6df39fdad?dmode=source

Also, it looks like you can combine parsing the output from
nbtstat.exe -n and checking the server service existence to obtain
current status:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.scripting.wsh/browse_frm/thread/ffa7598b02c200cd/a733b51d1673042e#a733b51d1673042e

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: