Any help is appreciated

From: <patlav@gmail.com>

| I work in a high security environment where the use of any type of CD
| ROM is now prohibited. I'm looking for a was to disable the use of
| the CDROM on all the Windows 2000 PC. Going around to all the PC and
| changing the BIOS or physically removing the device is not practical.
|
| IS there any 3rd party software to do this....I looked and looked and
| it can't be done in Group Policy.
|
| Any help is appreciated

Why would a read-only device be a security problem in the first place ?

Such a ruling would also mean disabling the serial ports, USB and FireWire ports as well.

If it was truly a security problem, then removing the drive *is* what is required.

In addition, what security regulation requires this ?

BTW: I was in a Top Secret "skiff" and all PCs had CDROMs and many had ZIP drives.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

<patlav@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I work in a high security environment where the use of any type of CD
> ROM is now prohibited. I'm looking for a was to disable the use of
> the CDROM on all the Windows 2000 PC. Going around to all the PC and
> changing the BIOS or physically removing the device is not practical.
>
> IS there any 3rd party software to do this....I looked and looked and
> it can't be done in Group Policy.
>
> Any help is appreciated

Actaully it can be done via GPO. Refer to this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555324

Also, you could just disable the device in device manager (right click the
cd-rom, select disable). The user would need to have admin level rights to
re-enable it. Obviously, the GPO method would be easier for enterprise wide
deployment though.

Cheers.

Jim