Is It safer to Install Win2003 Server along with win2000se..

HI,
I have a standalone system with single hard disk of 40 GB with partition
C: and D: (1) Win98 installed on c:drive and win2000server (NTFS) on D:drive,
Now I want to Install win2003 server on other partition. Can it be installed
along with win2000server. I hope bootable file of win2000server and win2003
server are not same. Will I come across any trouble, any precaution I need to
take before Installation. I am worried as I have some crucial software and
data in D: Drive

Thanks In advance
Ram

No. Always install operating systems on separate partitions.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ram" <Ram@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI,
> I have a standalone system with single hard disk of 40 GB with
partition
> C: and D: (1) Win98 installed on c:drive and win2000server (NTFS) on
D:drive,
> Now I want to Install win2003 server on other partition. Can it be
installed
> along with win2000server. I hope bootable file of win2000server and
win2003
> server are not same. Will I come across any trouble, any precaution I need
> take before Installation. I am worried as I have some crucial software and
> data in D: Drive
>
> Thanks In advance
> Ram

If you experiment with servers then I'm sure you're aware
that all important files must be backed up to an independent
medium at regular intervals and in particular before doing
a major installation. This holds even more so for "crucial"
data (your words). Your question about taking precautions
is therefore a little surprising. I recommend you do what every
responsible system administrator does before a major
upgrade:
1. Back up your system & data to a different disk.
2. Test the backup so that you know it works.
3. Do your installation.

The boot files for Win2003 server will work for older
versions of Windows 2000/NT too.

master

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

hi ram,
if you love to experiment new operating system, you could try vmware or
virtual pc (there are trial version on the net), it might be slow a
bit, but... if you got something like 1G ram, that should be no problem.