Custom build won't power on after shutdown.

blackstone

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Ok this is a strange problem I have been having for a while. It started after I installed the Tuniq Tower 120 CPU cooler (includes 120mm fan and fan controller).

If I shutdown my system, pressing the power button on the case will not turn it back on. It simply does not power up. Fans don't spin or anything. However, after pressing the power button, if I start disconnecting USB devices (Mouse, Printer, ect) or my ethernet cable from the back, ocassionally, it will power up the instant I disconnect one of the devices. But sometimes it is the ethernet cable that needs to be removed and sometimes it is a USB device, it is never the same.

Once the system powers up, it is rock solid stable and I have run it for like 3 weeks without shutting down (because I can't always get it to power back up) without so much as a single error. I'm stumped. I'm thinking about sending the mobo in. Any thoughts?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Unlikely it's teh same problem, but I've once had a series of hp workstations at work, that didn't want to power up as long as the usb cable to the printer was connected. This was due to some incompatibility between the usb boot feature and the 'usb printer switch' (4 pc's shared the same all-in-one printer)..... u don't have some extraordinary usb device do you? ie something other than a simple mouse or keyboard?

note in my particular case everything worked fine if one plugged the usb cable in after windows was started - so it was a bios thing, not a software thing.

blackstone

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Here I will list my USB devices:

1. HP Laser Jet
2. Saitek Gaming Keyboard (Lighted)
3. Razer Copperhead Laser Mouse
4. Logitech Joystick

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
in bios disable, shut down power after power loss, also in computer bios power always on,, computer management{local) in Administrative Tools, action, uncheck automatic restart.

Also disable assign irq for usb. plug and play os to, no