Mapped drives really slow

Hi,
I am connected to a LAN that is on a different domain than the one I'm
logged in to on my machine (I am away from my company, at a client's
location). I mapped a few drives, providing the username and password for
the client's domain each time and am able to get to the files etc. The only
problem is that its quite slow the first time I try to access the drive. It
works fine for the next few minutes but if it sits idle for about 2 minutes
and then I try to access it its again slow. Is there a setting or something
that will make this faster? The delay is about 30 seconds each time.
Thanks
Amit
3 answers Last reply
More about mapped drives slow

    One possibility is a firewall setting. The firewall may not be blocking
    access to the drive but some rule or setting in the firewall might be
    causing a delay. It may also be looking for an IP address. If the system
    is set to provide IP automatically, it sometimes helps to provide the
    specific address in the network settings.

    Problem is, this is on a domain as opposed to a workgroup setup. You might
    want to take this question to the windowsxp.network_web newsgroup.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Amit wrote:
    > The only problem is that its quite slow the first time I try to
    > access the drive. It works fine for the next few minutes but if it
    > sits idle for about 2 minutes and then I try to access it its again
    > slow. Is there a setting or something that will make this faster? The
    > delay is about 30 seconds each time.

    Might be due to name resolution problems. Do you access the computer by name
    or by IP address? If you use name, try IP address and see if that helps.

    I made entries in the hosts file for the machine I'm trying to connect to -
    same delay. I also driectly mapped a drive using the IP address but again
    the same thing.
    Thanks
    Amit

    "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    > Amit wrote:
    > > The only problem is that its quite slow the first time I try to
    > > access the drive. It works fine for the next few minutes but if it
    > > sits idle for about 2 minutes and then I try to access it its again
    > > slow. Is there a setting or something that will make this faster? The
    > > delay is about 30 seconds each time.
    >
    > Might be due to name resolution problems. Do you access the computer by
    name
    > or by IP address? If you use name, try IP address and see if that helps.

Domain Microsoft Windows XP