Sign in with
Your question

HELP!! System unstable. 8800 GTS PCIE overvoltage??

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Motherboards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 12, 2007 12:52:53 AM

HELP! I have recently upgraded my PSU due to undervoltage instability with an Antec 550 W PSU. I posted these issues on this site. I upgraded to a Seasonic M12 700W PSU. No more undervoltage errors on ABIT EQ motherboard monitor. But now, it is unstable again. When in heavy graphics or other times it will occasionally freeze. Motherboard alarms ring. ABIT EQ shows warning with high voltage on PCIE > 1.65V (error). I have to hard reboot. WTF????? Please any suggestions or experience?? I am a PSU newb mostly. THX.

AMD 64 x 2 5200+
ABIT K9 SLI
EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTS
CORSAIR 2GB RAM
WINDOWS XP SP-2
SEASONIC M12 700W PSU
RAPTOR SATA 10K HD

More about : system unstable 8800 gts pcie overvoltage

January 12, 2007 1:14:38 AM

Is your PCI-E clock locked in BIOS?
January 12, 2007 1:17:37 AM

Frankly I don't know. I can check. Should it be??
Related resources
January 12, 2007 1:29:14 AM

It's set to default 100mhz. Should this be change??
January 12, 2007 9:32:28 PM

Please help folks. Any ideas?? Still happening - erratic.
January 12, 2007 10:06:22 PM

It just crashed again, but most power volt readings were extremely low. I live an old house - could intermittent power surge or drain efffect this?? I see this with other electrical items in this house (frequent breaker issues, regions out). I do not think it is this power supply at all.
January 12, 2007 10:54:05 PM

Decent bldg gnd? (the third connector on your wall socket...)

You can get a cheap go nogo type tester cheap at your local hdware store, or if you have a decent DVM its failry easy to test.

If the grnd leg is good, I'd be looking for a good UPS.

Your PSU will only take so much 'brown' voltage before it starts playing up. Same with over volt, only so much.
January 12, 2007 10:55:56 PM

Don't know much about housing electrics to be honest sorry.... as long as PSU is plugged into a breaker you should be okay though (sorry if this is stating the obvious!). Mpilchfamily is the guy to ask about PSUs... perhaps send him a pm if he doesn't show here..... good luck

*edit* sorry Croc, posted this at same time as you.... :oops: 
January 12, 2007 11:05:53 PM

No problem...
January 12, 2007 11:12:14 PM

THX. I'll probably just have an electrician check this. I'm liable to kill myself testing!
January 12, 2007 11:21:17 PM

That's probably a good idea...
January 12, 2007 11:41:28 PM

OK, My 8800 GTX is at 125 in the bios, set to auto, but value shows 125. I assume yours should be close, you may want to do so.

The below picture shows the settings, as I have the card and same mobo, the 680i. You will have to find the right setting on your board and change it.

8800 GTX and 680i bios settings

click on the "system clocks" picture
January 12, 2007 11:53:27 PM

I second getting an UPS. If you are seeing weird voltage readings it isn't that PSU. That Seasonic is one of the good ones. AN UPS is always a good idea IMHO and even if it doesn't fix this problem it will, somewhere down the road, save your rig. They aren't cheap but if you watch for it you'll find a special somewhere. Having an electrician check the house current is a good idea BTW.
January 13, 2007 1:18:29 AM

wow - hum? its the memory or cpu

SWITCH PCI-X 6PIN try a different one

try to cross connect the rails manually take the 2, 4 pin 12 lines from rail2 and rail 4 and combine for the 6 pin

check to see if the psu is cross connecting the rails for pci-x
January 13, 2007 1:20:20 AM

your pci-x speed set it to 90mhz in the bios
January 13, 2007 1:23:04 AM

I set it to 125 mhz as above, and it "overvolted" on PCIE to 1.66V and became unstable. I don't believe my bios has 90 mhz setting though. Can I change it anyway??
January 13, 2007 1:29:01 AM

The lowest PCIE clock setting user defined is 100mhz. Options?
January 13, 2007 1:55:39 AM

sorry 90 is for intel - set it to the lowest setting - but i could wrong i do intel systems

no no!

do not over volt your slot! omg! - u probably fried something on the pgu card - return to stock settings try another video card

u might have fired your card

me<---amd noobie
January 13, 2007 3:17:48 AM

PCie should be set to 100 or to 101 if you are overclocking. You will gain absolutely nothing by speeding up the PCIe slots. If you have control over the voltage on the PCIe leave it at stock or on auto. I haven't seen a voltage control for PCIe so maybe you are looking at the voltage for the NB and SB. You shouldn't need to overvolt them.

Your HT (Hypertransport) should be set as close to 1,000MHz as possible. Here, once again, you gain nothing by overclocking it. Check your HT multi and make sure that it is as close to 1000 as possible when applied to the FSB or CPU speed.

Your best bet right now may be to reset your CMOS/BIOS so the board goes back to defaults. Make whatever small adjustments you need (disable PEG Link) and see if you are stable. Then, if you want to overclock, concentrate on the RAM and CPU settings as well as that HT multi.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2007 3:29:44 AM

What kind of corsair ram do you have??

Many types require 2.1V or 2.2V.
Your MB has the ram set at 1.9V.
January 13, 2007 3:58:46 AM

Just a thought. Here in AUS we can get a 24 hr test and a circuit test from our supplier. No cost. If there's anything in the wiring that needs fixing, we're on our own of course... But at least we know what to tell the electrician before he comes. And if its a supply issue, well... They may or may not respond quickly, but at least we know.

Given that you've had issues with two different PSU's, in what appears to be opposite directions (first had low voltage, 2nd high voltage) I think I'd look at the primary power supply.

But its your money.
January 13, 2007 1:26:42 PM

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

It needs 2.1V?
January 13, 2007 1:37:10 PM

Well, I increased DDR2 RAM to 2.1 as above - and quickly the MB alarm rang. The MB monitior showed multiple items severely overvolted - including PCIE 1.74V. The DDRs and one other (can't remember as I was panicking to power off) were overpegged. S**t This may be the root cause. Suggestions?? I appreciate your time greatly. BTW-all CPU clock, GPU and other BIOS settings are at default. I cleared CMOS yest. :cry: 
January 13, 2007 1:54:43 PM

I have never seen such a thing before. If the voltage in the house was that bad the PSU would shut down. Seasonic makes a good unit. You reset CMOS so everything should be at very safe levels yet you are getting these wild voltages and alarms. Is the latest BIOS version loaded? Have you contacted Abit tech support? This may be a bad mobo. Possibly the sensors are bad or worse the voltage control is way screwed up.

You said you reset CMOS, which should have cured all of the above problems, but how did you go about it. The correct way is to unplug the PC from the wall, then push the power switch to discharge any excess voltage. Open the case and remove the battery and then move the CMOS jumper from pins 1&2 to 2&3 and back again. Reinstall the battery, plug the rig in and turn it on. Did you do it this way?
January 13, 2007 2:17:49 PM

No, I did not push power or remove battery during CMOS clear. Call me a fool, but, by "battery" are you referring to the PSU??
January 13, 2007 2:39:08 PM

OK then you didn't reset CMOS/BIOS. Not a fool mate, just learning this stuff is all. No one is born knowing this stuff and we were all beginners at one time. Here is what you do.

1. Unplug the PC
2. Hit the power button for a second or two.
3. Take off the side panel and look for a battery on the motherboard. This is what holds your BIOS settings on the CMOS chip. CMOS is where your BIOS program is flashed.
4. When you find the battery, carefully remove it. Remember to touch the side of the PSU to release any static before touching anything inside the case. The battery is held by a small spring clip, just push the clip gently to the side and the battery will pop out.
5. Next to the battery there should be a little header made up of three small pins with a blue or black jumper covering two. Pull that jumper off of the two pins it is on and move it to cover the open pin and the middle pin. In other words, if it is on pins 1&2 move it to pins 2&3. Leave it there for a few seconds and then put it back on pins 1&2.
6. Reinstall the battery. Just gently push it back in the socket.

Your CMOS is now reset. Put the side panel on, plug the PC back in and turn on the PC. You should go back into BIOS at this point and redo any settings that you need. Are you at all familiar with BIOS? Regardless, the board will be back to default settings and should run OK if it is good.
January 13, 2007 3:09:15 PM

THX. I have found the problem. It's a MOBO fault. See thread from ABIT forum. Hundreds of posts with same PCIE overvoltage. http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=112118 It seems to be a southbridge sensing fault. Anyway - time to replace - ASUS M2 SLI has glowing reviews on these forums and solves this problem. BEWARE OF ABIT K9SLI!!!!!!!!!!
!