RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
In MI I have to be 18 to buy compressed air... and it sucks... I want to take really good care of my new computer... and not its hard to get anyone thats 18 to buy it for me heh....

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
18? Wow, a 6 year old could walk into a store here in Cali and buy a can of compressed air. You could order it online, i think newegg has it.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
if you can go to some one who has an aircompressor and a blow gun.

That is the worst advice ever. Never use an air compressor for air to blow off sensitive electric parts and devices. The air from a compressor can have moisture in it that will damage you components just a surely as throwing a glass of water on it. Always used the compressed air in a can for electronics for cleaning any electronic device.

BULLBUTTER! i do it all the time.

have been for years.

you dont seem to know much about copressed air.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Always used the compressed air in a can for electronics for cleaning any electronic device.

for someone who doesnt know how to do this.

well it is certain disaster.

i have used a plasma cutter on my computer.

but you probably wouldnt know anything about that.

Unless you live in a dry climate or have a few in line filters, compressed air could be a verry bad thing.

I use air tools all day at work and you woulden't believe how much stuff buildes up in the tank.
Just play it safe. Spend a few bucks on a can of air.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Unless you live in a dry climate or have a few in line filters, compressed air could be a verry bad thing.

I use air tools all day at work and you woulden't believe how much stuff buildes up in the tank.

i use airtools all the time too and probaly longer than you (20 years)
and yes play it safe and dont max out the blow gun and you will be just fine.

use a veriable blowgun, like a vaccula.

climate has nothing to do with it.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

Exactly. Air compressors use regular outside air that has moisture in it due to humidity. I work with air tools as well and even with dryers you do not always get all the moisture out. Sir if you want to keep taking the risk of blowing up your system go ahead. I would rather pay $4-$5 or whatever for a can of air than to blow up a $1000 system. Hell even my IT guy at work says the exact same thing as I am. Use the canned air, never compressed air.

one thing is that when air is compressed it is also heated. :roll:

i have no problems, never had.

the only way i would have any problems is if i let the fans spin up
to insane rpm,s and explode. when i clean them.

but there is a simple solution to this, hold the fan with a finger :roll:

oh and use a (as i said before) variable trigger blowgun.

also drain the compressor every once in a while. duh.

Thanks, that is it exactley.

I live in Mi like the OP and work on cars all day long.

You woulden't believe how may times my impact starts blowing nasty water out the exhaust.
Happens at least twice a week and we drain our tank almost every day.

It is verry simple...
Watter in air + air compresser = compressed air + watter
Simple algebra :wink:

Now if I was lucky enough to live where it is still 75, sunny and not a drop of rain......

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
You reminded me of an incident a few years ago.
A young man came into my shop asking to borrow my air blower.
I thought nothing of it.
A few seconds later I heard him cussing away.
He had blown off half a dozen little blue jumpers.
All I could do was bust a gut laughing. :lol:

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial118.html#dust

# One can of compressed air (more if you suspect the PC is really filthy)- from you local supermarket or electronics/computer store.
Do NOT use compressor air - it often has a high moisture content which will cause corrosion
and may contain aerosol lubricants which can cause electrical shorts.

http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=1554

WARNING: Some people mention using a compressor as an air source rather than canned air - I urge caution here. Most home or industrial

compressors don't output "clean" air, instead it's contaminated with oil and metal particles - not the kind of thing you want in your PC!

post all the bs you want. because thats what it is bs
those links are by people who dont know $hit.

yes it is possiable to get contamination.
but it isnt enough to damage an electronic part.

its that simple and it still wont keep me from doing what i have done
for years.

im not going to argue with you or anyone, period becuase your all
wrong.

its simple you can use compressed air to clean your computer
and it will work fine.

unless you pull the trigger and a mist comes out(which is called miosture)

and as you said earlier that compressors use outside air.

well what the hell do you think your computer is using.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
ok people answer this.

if compressed air is suppose to be bad.

then why does my 6 year old dell still work
or my 3 year old dell.
or my 2 two year old homebuilt computers work
or my brothers 3 computers work.
or my moms computer still work.
or my step dads computer still work.
or the 2 computers at my work (an autoshop) still work.

anyone? huh anyone?

didnt think so :roll:

post a link to that.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Most people really don’t know the quality of equipment we use in our field let alone know what’s under the hood of their vehicle.
I'd let it go.
You know what you’re doing and I'm afraid the average person couldn’t gauge the air flow or understand system dryers on that air compressor protect thousands of dollars worth of equipment.
I use compressed air (cans) for delicate work or new builds.
Shop air for shop computers.

Sarcastic

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I will have to agree with you sirheck, I have used an air compressor for 10 years to clean my computers, I have yet to have a moisture related hardware failure. In fact not oly do I use a compressor but I also run it at 120psi. Some people might be content to spend lots of money on canned air but I am not.

Hey, I am not trying to flame anyone here.

I am shure that your shop's compresser is better than mine is.
My boss coulden't give a $hit about our tools, as long as he is still making the green.

But you really think that Mr. Average with a rollaway garage compresser is going to think to drain it regulary?

As a general rule, I side with caution and use caned air for my computer.
If your compresser is up for it than by all means use it at your own risk.

Sarcastic

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I completely agree with you as well outlw, proper air compressor maintainace is important. My air compressor is in my house and its no roll away, it has a small tank and a 2.5 horse motor and a oil lubed compressor. I drain it every 25 times it fills itself and I only get a few drops of water out of it at best. Now the compressor in the garage will drop 2 cups or more easy each time I drain it. Also the minimal ammount of moisture that would get into your computer will more then likely evaporate before you even get the machine plugged back in. I am not saying the compressor is the best cleaning method out there but at 7 bucks a can for air its my only option.