Sign in with
Your question

Onboard sound or this old soundblaster card.

Last response: in Components
January 12, 2007 2:19:04 AM

i was wondering if this old Sound Blaster Vibra 128
Link was better than an onboard sound card.
January 12, 2007 3:45:01 AM

If it is something you already have laying around, stick it in the computer and see. If you are looking to buy a budget card, check around on Ebay or elsewhere for an SBLive, look at model numbers like:

CT4830
CT4870
CT4780

I think this will get you a better card in the same general price range.
January 19, 2007 4:18:20 AM

On board sound has come a long way in the last 5 years. Most of them support eax, 7.1 surround etc. The only possibility would be the noise interference from the electronics in the motherboard. But if you get really close to the speakers and don't hear anything then your fine.

Putting a 6 year old sound card in a modern motherboard is not a good idea, I would say take the on board sound over the old sound card. Odds are the old sound card will have buggy drivers, they haven't been updated any time soon. It could cause system instability in xp that is if drivers are even available. if it was an old audigy or later. Then maybe, but personally I own a Audigy 2, and the drivers are so buggy even now that I just prefere on board sound. I see no benefit anymore, unless your going to dish out the big bucks for a modern, xfi sound card.

Also game compatibility might not be as good either because that particular card doesn't even support eax or whatever. That is one step up from the sound blaster 16 they released in the md 90's. Before the original live sound card I think even.
Related resources
January 19, 2007 3:53:04 PM

Quote:
If it is something you already have laying around, stick it in the computer and see. If you are looking to buy a budget card, check around on Ebay or elsewhere for an SBLive, look at model numbers like:

CT4830
CT4870
CT4780

I think this will get you a better card in the same general price range.

I took the old SBLive out of my PC and all the CTDs (Oblivion etc) and choppy sound (HL2) suddenly stopped.......

Using onboard Nforce sound now. Maybe not "hardcore" but much better, plus SBLives are famous for eating your system RAM and having no driver upgrades.
January 19, 2007 4:16:23 PM

I can't really recommend an old SBLive card. I had one (about 4 years old) and when I put it in my system it increased the boot up time by about 1/3. Not to mention the sound quality wasn't any different to my ears than the onboard and the SBLive drivers hadn't been updated in literally years.

If you want something different, get something new and with its own sound processor onboard, otherwise its just going to slow up your system.
January 19, 2007 4:33:36 PM

Quote:
Odds are the old sound card will have buggy drivers, they haven't been updated any time soon. It could cause system instability in xp that is if drivers are even available.

For anyone who has an older SoundBlaster Live card, there's a developement project called kX Project that is dedicated to creating up-to-date drivers for older cards. I've personally used their drivers and have found them to be better than the out-dated creative drivers.

Here's the link:

Official kX Project Site
!