Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is a atlon 64 3200+ stil a decent gaming cpu?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Games
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 12, 2007 2:59:13 AM

How does it run new games such as oblivion or rainbow 6 vegas?
would a 7600gt be cpu limited by it in cou demanding games?
how does it compare to a 4200 x2 in gamming performance?

More about : atlon 3200 stil decent gaming cpu

January 12, 2007 3:28:19 AM

I agree with JumpingJack, a 3200 will perform fine with the right video card. It quickly fell to the bottom of all CPU charts but the truth is, not too long ago it was a great bang:buck processor. I doubt that is still true if you are in the market for a new CPU, but if you already have one and are trying to decide an upgrade path, it can still do the job.
January 12, 2007 3:42:08 AM

It's still a decent enough processor for gaming, but I wouldn't pair it with any high end videocard. The only games I see it struggling with are flight simulators and some of the newer RTS games, which are quite CPU bound.

It's a bit slower than the X2 4200+ in gaming performance, especially in multithreaded titles, but these games are few and far between. The majority of games on the market today are still single threaded, although that would be changing in the near future as more titles are becoming multithreaded.
Related resources
January 12, 2007 4:06:55 AM

3200+ overclock good to

got my at 3800+ speeds easy

looky

January 12, 2007 4:37:14 AM

Quote:
I agree with JumpingJack, a 3200 will perform fine with the right video card. It quickly fell to the bottom of all CPU charts but the truth is, not too long ago it was a great bang:buck processor. I doubt that is still true if you are in the market for a new CPU, but if you already have one and are trying to decide an upgrade path, it can still do the job.

I already have it and I'm trying to decide wheather to build a second rig with it for lan games.
January 12, 2007 4:39:37 AM

Quote:
It's still a decent enough processor for gaming, but I wouldn't pair it with any high end videocard. The only games I see it struggling with are flight simulators and some of the newer RTS games, which are quite CPU bound.

It's a bit slower than the X2 4200+ in gaming performance, especially in multithreaded titles, but these games are few and far between. The majority of games on the market today are still single threaded, although that would be changing in the near future as more titles are becoming multithreaded.

so would a 7600/x1600 bottleneck it? or how about low end x1900s/7900s?
January 12, 2007 4:49:47 AM

Quote:
I already have it and I'm trying to decide weather to build a second rig with it for lan games.

Oh then do it! Just drink more and you wont notice the loss of frames :wink:
A 7600GT would be a good match for a 3200+.
January 12, 2007 5:20:13 AM

Quote:
I already have it and I'm trying to decide weather to build a second rig with it for lan games.

Oh then do it! Just drink more and you wont notice the loss of frames :wink:
A 7600GT would be a good match for a 3200+.
cool, any good cheap motherboard recomendations? socket 939
January 12, 2007 5:27:01 AM

Epox motherboard with an nForce 4 chipset


or or the Gygabyte nForce 4 sli :D 
January 12, 2007 7:20:39 AM

Quote:
Epox motherboard with an nForce 4 chipset


or or the Gygabyte nForce 4 sli :D 

I'm not really looking for sli. Is the nforce 4 chipset the best 939 chipset?
is the nf 410 or 430 any good?
is this board decent? http://www.pbwellington.co.nz/p.aspx?4591
January 12, 2007 8:49:28 AM

Quote:
i use intel graphics
it runs games fine and is free on the motherboard
i play HL2 D2 and wow.
and the funny part is i noticed in wow the graphics look better than my old ati card i was using an x800 card. but after seeing the gfx effects on the intel board i am impressed.
i got a DG965OT motherboard for 130 dollars. it has graphics and audio and lan an other stuff.

anyways it worked out to be cheaper to use it and not buy a video card
i didnt know i was seeing bad graphics effects before i got this. lol


This guy is full of BS. Ignore.
January 12, 2007 8:55:53 AM

I have a DFI Ultra-D Lan Party (Socket 939, SLI, Nforce 4)

I might sell it after I get my next check. It's a great board.

I'm currently running my 3000 Venice @ 2.4 ghz (42C full load)

As far as Rainbow Six Vegas. Errr... It's more GPU dependant than anything and even top of the line PC's are having trouble playing it at max settings.

At medium settings I have great frame-rates @ 1440x900 (My LCD is WS 19")

I love my 3000. I love it to death. I'd only consider selling my rig since I plan on moving and I want a modest gaming rig (Less speaker power, more graphical power) for a smaller apartment space.

A 3200+ will last you another year or so and would pair great with a good videocard. Most games are dependent on the GPU for their performance than the CPU where frame-rates are concerned.

Don't be ashamed to wear your AMD colors ma'boy! Tis a dark time indeed for AMD but alas, your journey to the far land while slower than others, will still arrive in time for festivities!
January 12, 2007 9:51:24 AM

Quote:
i use intel graphics
it runs games fine and is free on the motherboard
i play HL2 D2 and wow.
and the funny part is i noticed in wow the graphics look better than my old ati card i was using an x800 card. but after seeing the gfx effects on the intel board i am impressed.
i got a DG965OT motherboard for 130 dollars. it has graphics and audio and lan an other stuff.

anyways it worked out to be cheaper to use it and not buy a video card
i didnt know i was seeing bad graphics effects before i got this. lol


This guy is full of BS. Ignore.

yeah, whats the deal with this?
January 12, 2007 12:23:30 PM

Just never ever use integrated graphics for Rainbow 6 Vegas or Oblivion. Any use of shared memory between video and PC really makes me puke.
January 12, 2007 1:59:40 PM

Quote:
I'm not really looking for sli. Is the nforce 4 chipset the best 939 chipset?
is the nf 410 or 430 any good?
is this board decent? http://www.pbwellington.co.nz/p.aspx?4591

Thats a microatx board, not sure if thats what you want. I also disagree with the advice to use onboard video. Uber_g hit the nail on the head with the epox nf4 suggestion.

EPoX EP-9NPA7I Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard
eVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Total: about 200 bucks without using any rebates.

I wouldnt pair a 3200 with a 1900xt only because the values dont match. Yes its a better card but the majority of the lifespan of the card will be spent in a secondary machine with a budget cpu. You might want something better than a 7600 but it all depends on your budget. I think you are on the right track, good luck.
January 12, 2007 7:42:01 PM

I never missed a beat with my a64 3200.
January 12, 2007 8:03:11 PM

I can play Graw maxed out on my 3000+ at 1280x1024 so you should be fine.

I LOVE my 3000+. I had it stable at 2.9Ghz at one point, but having the fans cranked isn't very practical. At 2.5 and lower then stock vcore I get about 45*C full load.
January 12, 2007 8:05:47 PM

The Epox nForce 4 motherboard and the 7600 will do u just right in terms of performance and all in all its a real Bargian


Epox makes good mobos, and they use good parts
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2007 8:07:37 PM

Quote:
you can ignore me if you want i dont really care.
ill keep gaming on my DG965OT system and you can spend your 300 dollars on whatever video card you buy


haha you keep playing with your Integrated graphics by all means, dont let us stop you :wink:
January 12, 2007 8:48:44 PM

i have a 3200+ paired with a 7900gs at 7900gt speeds and it runs GREAT !
January 12, 2007 9:29:25 PM

When i had one , it ran with a 6600 gt, i was able to run doom3 and a few other high end game spretty good.
January 12, 2007 9:47:26 PM

:D 
January 12, 2007 9:48:16 PM

Quote:
you can ignore me if you want i dont really care.
ill keep gaming on my DG965OT system and you can spend your 300 dollars on whatever video card you buy


"Admittedly the X3000 sounds impressive - by Intel standards mind you
- with support for Shader Model 3 and DirectX 9.0c. Mainly though it's
positioned as an output device for media PCs, and integrates features
like hardware de-interlacing for video."

This basically says that Intel made this device as a means to display
graphics and cope with low end graphical demands but nothing much more
beyond this."

-as taken from this link:

http://www.answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=759...

to sum it up.......you ain't playin a garsh darn thing w/ those graphics. edit.....maybe you can, but its gonna be Counterstrike Source at 800x600 at 15 fps.
January 12, 2007 9:49:36 PM

Quote:
I already have it and I'm trying to decide weather to build a second rig with it for lan games.

Oh then do it! Just drink more and you wont notice the loss of frames :wink:
A 7600GT would be a good match for a 3200+.
cool, any good cheap motherboard recomendations? socket 939

Asus A8R32-MVP.
January 12, 2007 10:32:20 PM

FEAR


:D 
January 12, 2007 11:57:46 PM

8O ...:lol: 
January 13, 2007 12:29:15 AM

Quote:
I'm not really looking for sli. Is the nforce 4 chipset the best 939 chipset?
is the nf 410 or 430 any good?
is this board decent? http://www.pbwellington.co.nz/p.aspx?4591

Thats a microatx board, not sure if thats what you want. I also disagree with the advice to use onboard video. Uber_g hit the nail on the head with the epox nf4 suggestion.

EPoX EP-9NPA7I Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard
eVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Total: about 200 bucks without using any rebates.

I wouldnt pair a 3200 with a 1900xt only because the values dont match. Yes its a better card but the majority of the lifespan of the card will be spent in a secondary machine with a budget cpu. You might want something better than a 7600 but it all depends on your budget. I think you are on the right track, good luck.
that board does have a pcie 16x slot which i would use, not the intergrated graphics. would a 7600gs/gt be a good match for a 3200?
January 13, 2007 12:39:51 AM

yea it would be a good match for your CPU
January 13, 2007 2:14:44 AM

I might sell my DFI Ultra-D if I get a buyer for all my other parts haha.

Ultra-D is probably the best 939 socket motherboard. The only one comparable is the A8N SLI Deluxe.
January 13, 2007 2:26:18 AM

Quote:
you can ignore me if you want i dont really care.
ill keep gaming on my DG965OT system and you can spend your 300 dollars on whatever video card you buy


Yeah, enjoy playing Minesweeper on your system. :lol: 
January 13, 2007 2:46:44 AM

Quote:
I might sell my DFI Ultra-D if I get a buyer for all my other parts haha.

Ultra-D is probably the best 939 socket motherboard. The only one comparable is the A8N SLI Deluxe.

well i'm in nz.
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2007 5:06:54 AM

Quote:
i use intel graphics
it runs games fine and is free on the motherboard
i play HL2 D2 and wow.
and the funny part is i noticed in wow the graphics look better than my old ati card i was using an x800 card. but after seeing the gfx effects on the intel board i am impressed.
i got a DG965OT motherboard for 130 dollars. it has graphics and audio and lan an other stuff.

anyways it worked out to be cheaper to use it and not buy a video card
i didnt know i was seeing bad graphics effects before i got this. lol



Is this guy on glue?????

I agree with Epsilon84 here. This one doesn't have a clue. Anyone who says onboard graphics is better than an X800 (or a ti4200 for that matter) is sniffing something he probably shouldn't be. Dude, you're on the right track. I use a 2700+ still with an X800 and i have no trouble with the newer games. And the DFI lanparty is a fantastic MoBo. Just make sure you have plenty of ram, thats all.

My crappy system has Integrated 865g graphics and it was crap like XP's right click fade effects stuttered and flash movies went out of sync with the sound - i installed an old TNT2 M64 32mb AGP card and even it was better then 865g integrated video! bugger onboard, the only onboard video i would EVER concider is from ATi or nVidia.
January 13, 2007 10:45:35 AM

Quote:
thanks,
i think the IGD has a bad rap from earlier versions of it. I am impressed with it so far though.


I would like to point you here
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/09/15/are_intel/page4.html#conclusion

If your not messing about (which Im kinda assuming you are), here's a few of my favourite quotes from the article

"the device still has far to go for acceptable game play"

"But today's very popular games, which are not next-generation games, are virtually unplayable for anybody that cares about gaming"
January 13, 2007 1:17:03 PM

Some onbaord graphics do run some games, but runing them and running them good are two diffrent things.
January 13, 2007 8:09:21 PM

The ATI Xpress 1100 onboard graphics on my board ran Halo and UT2004 on medium high settings with 25+ frames. Just FYI
January 14, 2007 7:44:52 AM

Quote:
thanks,
i think the IGD has a bad rap from earlier versions of it. I am impressed with it so far though.


I would like to point you here
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/09/15/are_intel/page4.html#conclusion

If your not messing about (which Im kinda assuming you are), here's a few of my favourite quotes from the article

"the device still has far to go for acceptable game play"

"But today's very popular games, which are not next-generation games, are virtually unplayable for anybody that cares about gaming"

yes you are talking about gma950 which is my exact point
im using the new gma 3000 and so far its great. looks great plays great

I'm sure 640x480 low details @ 30fps 'looks great and plays great'. :roll: :lol: 
January 14, 2007 7:55:29 AM

Quote:
thanks,
i think the IGD has a bad rap from earlier versions of it. I am impressed with it so far though.


I would like to point you here
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/09/15/are_intel/page4.html#conclusion

If your not messing about (which Im kinda assuming you are), here's a few of my favourite quotes from the article

"the device still has far to go for acceptable game play"

"But today's very popular games, which are not next-generation games, are virtually unplayable for anybody that cares about gaming"

yes you are talking about gma950 which is my exact point
im using the new gma 3000 and so far its great. looks great plays great

I'm sure 640x480 low details @ 30fps 'looks great and plays great'. :roll: :lol: Sure, looks great on a 14" CRT retina burner. :D 
January 14, 2007 8:43:13 AM

I'm currently using an ath3000+ with my 7600gt and It's a great mid-range combination to play games on :D 
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2007 10:51:33 AM

Quote:
thanks,
i think the IGD has a bad rap from earlier versions of it. I am impressed with it so far though.


I would like to point you here
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/09/15/are_intel/page4.html#conclusion

If your not messing about (which Im kinda assuming you are), here's a few of my favourite quotes from the article

"the device still has far to go for acceptable game play"

"But today's very popular games, which are not next-generation games, are virtually unplayable for anybody that cares about gaming"

yes you are talking about gma950 which is my exact point
im using the new gma 3000 and so far its great. looks great plays great4

lol what do you mean when you same "games"?
January 18, 2007 11:27:22 AM

Quote:
How does it run new games such as oblivion or rainbow 6 vegas?
would a 7600gt be cpu limited by it in cou demanding games?
how does it compare to a 4200 x2 in gamming performance?


Yes. It is "decent". It's not "awesome". It's not "spectacular". But it is "decent".

It will run any game just fine. Games become more GPU limited at higher resolutions. You'll just need to play around with all the settings to get the best mix for your rig.
January 18, 2007 11:34:01 AM

Quote:
i use intel graphics
it runs games fine and is free on the motherboard
i play HL2 D2 and wow.
and the funny part is i noticed in wow the graphics look better than my old ati card i was using an x800 card. but after seeing the gfx effects on the intel board i am impressed.
i got a DG965OT motherboard for 130 dollars. it has graphics and audio and lan an other stuff.

anyways it worked out to be cheaper to use it and not buy a video card
i didnt know i was seeing bad graphics effects before i got this. lol


Haha isn't it obvious this guy is joking around? I can't believe someone could say this and anyone would take it seriously. But on a more serious note, I have played around with the graphics on those boards and while they're a lot better than previous onboard solutions, they're nowhere even near a 7300gs.
January 18, 2007 12:10:03 PM

Wow you use Intel graphics? Do you know how much you are missing? I dropped in an ATI x700 Pro DDR3 for my wife so she could play Zoo Tycoon2 and she didn't realize all the things were animated or how much she was missing!!!
January 18, 2007 12:51:24 PM

You didn't mention what resolution you play at or what display you have so we could tell. Having said that, your cpu if fine for current games. The GPU will make a much larger difference and the 7600GT is fine currently.

Back to the resolution comment. If you game at 1280x1024+ its unlikely you will run into a CPU bottleneck on any current games or any in the next year with possible exception of Alan Wake(supposed to be very cpu intensive from what i've heard). If you turn on some eye candy such as AA or AF and so on you will make your GPU your limiting factor pretty quickly in 99% of games out there.

You're safe for now. I wouldn't worry too much about it in regards to games for up to a year from now at least.
January 18, 2007 12:55:51 PM

Quote:
I already have it and I'm trying to decide weather to build a second rig with it for lan games.

Oh then do it! Just drink more and you wont notice the loss of frames :wink:
A 7600GT would be a good match for a 3200+.
cool, any good cheap motherboard recomendations? socket 939

...might not be what you'd consider cheap but the Asus A8N SLi-Premium is one heck of a fine board, it truly is, IMO.
January 18, 2007 1:14:26 PM

Does anyone play Oblivion at like 640x480 with all ultra-low settings?
January 18, 2007 1:24:26 PM

Quote:
Does anyone play Oblivion at like 640x480 with all ultra-low settings?


No, not yet, but i'm going to try it in the near future, wit a Venice 3000+ (stock speed) and Radeon 9600Pro (Radeon 9550 OCed), 1GB of cheap ram, just wanna see how low i must go get ~45fps indoor or ~30fps outdoor
January 18, 2007 3:00:54 PM

well just know that TH used P4 2.6 with X1600 PRO AGP gets 20 fps outdoors at 1024x768 with default settings.
!