Multiclassing rouge ?

Got a level 7 human Paladin.

Would it be worth it to take just one level of rouge and put all the
skill points into Use Magic Device ?

As a heavy-armored/greatsword Paladin , I haven't seen yet too many
restricted items that looked very useful.

<drewdr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Got a level 7 human Paladin.
>
> Would it be worth it to take just one level of rouge and put all the
> skill points into Use Magic Device ?
>
> As a heavy-armored/greatsword Paladin , I haven't seen yet too many
> restricted items that looked very useful.

Difficult as your alignment would have to shift to Chaotic to become a
rogue, and then if you wanted to carry on as Paladin you would have to shift
it back to Lawful within one level, which sounds pretty tricky to me.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:41:42 +0100, "Entreri \(H&P\)"
<j.horward@here.com> wrote:

>Difficult as your alignment would have to shift to Chaotic to become a
>rogue, and then if you wanted to carry on as Paladin you would have to shift
>it back to Lawful within one level, which sounds pretty tricky to me.

I thought a rouge can be any alignment.

> On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:41:42 +0100, "Entreri \(H&P\)"
> <j.horward@here.com> wrote:
>

> >Difficult as your alignment would have to shift to Chaotic to become a
> >rogue, and then if you wanted to carry on as Paladin you would have to
shift
> >it back to Lawful within one level, which sounds pretty tricky to me.
>
> I thought a rouge can be any alignment.

You are absolutely right (except in your spelling of rogue). My apologies.

Presumably as a Paladin your Charisma is pretty reasonable which'll help
with Use Magic Device. What's your intelligence at ? On my current
Rogue/Wiz/AA build UMD is really useful, my UMD is about 25 with Charisma
bonuses. I can use some cool stuff though. A while ago I was using Time Stop
scrolls to help out ! I am also using gloves of the hin fist +7 (monk
specific). I was going to use them with improved disarm feat so I steal my
opponent's weapons and use them against them, but I haven't got around to
taking the skill yet.

Using the staff of ascension as well (which is class specific, can't
remember which class though).

Overall I'm biased, I love UMD to death.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:22:25 +0100, "Entreri \(H&P\)"
<j.horward@here.com> wrote:

>Presumably as a Paladin your Charisma is pretty reasonable which'll help
>with Use Magic Device. What's your intelligence at ? On my current
>Rogue/Wiz/AA build UMD is really useful, my UMD is about 25 with Charisma
>bonuses. I can use some cool stuff though. A while ago I was using Time Stop
>scrolls to help out ! I am also using gloves of the hin fist +7 (monk
>specific). I was going to use them with improved disarm feat so I steal my
>opponent's weapons and use them against them, but I haven't got around to
>taking the skill yet.
>
>Using the staff of ascension as well (which is class specific, can't
>remember which class though).
>
>Overall I'm biased, I love UMD to death.

Yeah, I just went through the OC + HotU with a wizard/thief.
The first level was thief for the skill points, after that on occasion
I took a level of thief when I found my thief skills getting too weak.

Note that you do *NOT* need to spend all your skill
points--at one point I had nearly 50 saved up because I got a lot more
than I spent on wizard levels.

UMD is wonderful--I would freely cast clerical scrolls.
($@%@#$% Game--why couldn't I raise the sensei??)

As nice as UMD was (as well as being able to pick any lock
and disarm any trap), I would not recommend this strategy. It worked
fine up until I started hitting critters with SR in HotU. Unless I
took down their SR a bit I simply couldn't get my spells through much
at all.

<drewdr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Got a level 7 human Paladin.
>
> Would it be worth it to take just one level of rouge and put all the
> skill points into Use Magic Device ?
>
> As a heavy-armored/greatsword Paladin , I haven't seen yet too many
> restricted items that looked very useful.

Avon or Mary-Kay?

On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:22:25 +0100, Entreri (H&P) wrote:

> <drewdr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:41:42 +0100, "Entreri \(H&P\)"
>> <j.horward@here.com> wrote:
>>

>> >Difficult as your alignment would have to shift to Chaotic to become a
>> >rogue, and then if you wanted to carry on as Paladin you would have to
> shift
>> >it back to Lawful within one level, which sounds pretty tricky to me.
>>
>> I thought a rouge can be any alignment.
>
> You are absolutely right (except in your spelling of rogue). My apologies.
>
> Presumably as a Paladin your Charisma is pretty reasonable which'll help
> with Use Magic Device. What's your intelligence at ? On my current
> Rogue/Wiz/AA build UMD is really useful, my UMD is about 25 with Charisma
> bonuses. I can use some cool stuff though. A while ago I was using Time Stop
> scrolls to help out ! I am also using gloves of the hin fist +7 (monk
> specific). I was going to use them with improved disarm feat so I steal my
> opponent's weapons and use them against them, but I haven't got around to
> taking the skill yet.
>
> Using the staff of ascension as well (which is class specific, can't
> remember which class though).
>
> Overall I'm biased, I love UMD to death.

I tended to favour the fighter classes for NWN but always found a few
levels of Rogue extremely helpful, if for no other reason to use up the
skill points I was never able to put to use as a fighter/weapon master or
sorcerer/red dragon disciple.

I mixed in at least 3 levels of Rogue throughout each time I had
accumulated about 20 unused SP. Placed into Search,Disable Traps and UMD
was invaluable.

Ciao

<drewdr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Got a level 7 human Paladin.
>
> Would it be worth it to take just one level of rouge and put all the
> skill points into Use Magic Device ?
>
> As a heavy-armored/greatsword Paladin , I haven't seen yet too many
> restricted items that looked very useful.

I'm doing the OC with a Paladin/Rogue 6/6 at the moment and I think it's an
excellent combination, every time I level up it's a hard choice of which
class to give the level to.

Lance

Crispus <crispus_no_spam@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > Overall I'm biased, I love UMD to death.
>
> I tended to favour the fighter classes for NWN but always found a few
> levels of Rogue extremely helpful, if for no other reason to use up the
> skill points I was never able to put to use as a fighter/weapon master or
> sorcerer/red dragon disciple.
>
> I mixed in at least 3 levels of Rogue throughout each time I had
> accumulated about 20 unused SP. Placed into Search,Disable Traps and UMD
> was invaluable.

My RDD mix was fighter/bard/RDD; I took one level of bard early on to
allow RDD and bought the most UMD I could at that point, then took two
more levels of it after maxing pre epic RDD, one at 17 or so and the
last at 20; in both cases to max out UMD.

I found any number of items that were very helpful, scrolls not at all
the least of them, but likewise rods and wands that were usable only
by wizards or sorcerers... or even more interesting, by clerics,
druids, paladins; a wealth of healing items and buffing items that are
pretty much useless for members of the actual class (oooh, aid, like
my level 20 cleric can't cast -that- one 10 times a day?); there are
lots of items that really only come in handy for people who have just
one level of a class -or- who have UMD.

I took bard instead of sorcerer because I only intended to take one
level of the arcane class anyway, and bard would give me UMD. A
Rogue/Sorcerer/RDD would have been a much weaker combat machine, I
figured.

Lance