Shutting off MSN Messenger

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi,

I have XP Home, and I keep unchecking "nsmmsg" in the startup section of
msconfig. I don't use MSN Messenger, don't plan on it, and don't want it
sitting there in my system tray. Yet Microsoft keeps turning it back on on
every reboot.

Anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks,

Daniel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Remove it using Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Daniel Kaplan" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I have XP Home, and I keep unchecking "nsmmsg" in the startup section of
| msconfig. I don't use MSN Messenger, don't plan on it, and don't want it
| sitting there in my system tray. Yet Microsoft keeps turning it back on
on
| every reboot.
|
| Anyone have a solution to this?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Daniel

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have XP Home, and I keep unchecking "nsmmsg" in the startup
> section of
> msconfig. I don't use MSN Messenger, don't plan on it, and
> don't want it
> sitting there in my system tray. Yet Microsoft keeps turning
> it back on on
> every reboot.
>
> Anyone have a solution to this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel

I think it’s windows messanger and not MSN Messanger, there is a
diffrence, but there both equaly as anoying. You will have to open the
properties of Windows Messanger and find the box that says "Start
windows messanger on startup" and untick it.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Shutting-MSN-Messenger-ftopict423124.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1415770

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that you do not want to use MSN Messenger. If I have
misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.

As Dave said, if you do not need to use MSN Messenger at all, you may
simply uninstall MSN Messenger in Control Pane. However, if you just do not
want to launch MSN Messenger at system startup. You may follow the method
below:

Open MSN Messenger

Tools | Options | General | Uncheck all options Under "Sign In"

I truly understand that the inconvenience you have encountered. However,
for questions concerning MSN, we have an independent MSN support team that
is working to meet all MSN-related service requests. If all of above
methods still cannot address your concerns, since this problem is related
to MSN Messenger, the MSN support would be the right people to help you
with the issue. Thanks for your understanding!

For your information, you can contact MSN Member Support in any of the
following ways:

Interactive Online Support (Chat) at http://support.msn.com/contactus.aspx
The fastest way to get help is by using MSN interactive online support.
Chat online with an MSN Support representative who can help you o solve
your problem.

Support by E-Mail at http://support.msn.com/contactus.aspx
Use e-mail to get help with reporting a bug, or to give us general feedback
and suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Daniel Kaplan" <NoSPam@NoSpam.com>
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.setup
| Subject: Shutting off MSN Messenger
| Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:48:00 -0400
|
| Hi,
|
| I have XP Home, and I keep unchecking "nsmmsg" in the startup section of
| msconfig. I don't use MSN Messenger, don't plan on it, and don't want it
| sitting there in my system tray. Yet Microsoft keeps turning it back on
on
| every reboot.
|
| Anyone have a solution to this?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for posting!

I notice that you have posted the same question in our Windows 2000 setup
newsgroup, to which I have already responded. Please check my answer
there, and if you need any further assistance on this particular issue
please reply to me in that thread so I can follow up with you. In the
future, please don't cross-post the same question in multiple newsgroups.
This will help our engineers work on your question more efficiently. Your
understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

For your convenience, I have included my reply as follows: