Sign in with
Your question

New system woes - powers off after 1 minute

Last response: in Systems
January 12, 2007 3:34:47 AM

Hello everyone - I have just finished building my first pc and am having a problem where it powers down after about 1 minute. I don't get any BIOS errors.

The system is composed of the following components:

Antec 900 Case
Asus P5B Deluxe MOBO
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 w/ stock fan
7600 GT video card
2 x 1GB Centon DDR2-667 PC2-5400 memory
xfinity 500W power supply

Any ideas for how I should troubleshoot this?

My thoughts right now are:

I did not see anywhere on the 7600 card to plug in the PCIexpress power supply - so I assume it gets power directly from the MOBO. I had the monitor plugged into the VC and saw a picture just fine (until the ~1 minute was up).

Check the default power settings being delivered by the MOBO to components to see if there is a conflict.

Help please!

Thank you.
January 12, 2007 3:57:35 AM

The 7600GT pcie card dosen't need extra power, the MB provides this to it.

Looks like your psu should have enough power, so......

Sounds like you may have your cpu hs mounted wrong.
If your system passes the Tjunction, I believe it shuts down to save its self.

Does the system get to windows before it crashes?
Any other problems with it?
Did you add any extra thermal goo to the stock hs??

Anyways, your mb should show your cpu temp in your bios.
It should be in the low 30's or less at stock speeds.
Check that first because I hear that the retention clips on the stock hs are crap.

Also, check to make shure your ram dosen't call for higher than stock voltage.
January 12, 2007 10:30:33 AM

There are many possibilities. The most common are cpu hsf not sitting flush, incompatible ram, failing psu.

- power off, double-check every connection, try it

- unplug power cord & mobo 24-pin & 4-pin power, clear cmos, reconnect power, try it

- power off, unplug everything, reseat cpu hsf, video ram, plug everything in, try it

- remove everything from case, build the barebone - cpu, ram & video - on a cardboard, connect power, short the PWRSW (power switch) pins with the tip of a ballpen, try it

Your psu is listed as avoid in this forum:

http://www.computercreators.com/showthread.php?t=847&p=...
Related resources
January 12, 2007 12:03:18 PM

While trouble shooting my problem I learned that the CPU fan is jammed. 2 of the connectors will not move into the "release" position (done by moving counterclockwise). Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't get my CPU fan off!!!
January 12, 2007 12:38:07 PM

OK so I got the stupid stock fan unjammed - what a moronic design - and reattached it. After reattaching it, I went into the BIOS and saw the CPU temperature gradually rise from 40 C to 42.5C - I assume this is my problem. Is this just because the stock fan is terrible or could there be some other problem. The thermal material (that came with the stock fan) appears evenly spread - should I go out and buy a different fan or is there something else I can do to try to make this one work?
January 12, 2007 1:01:41 PM

That guy who said the temps should be low 30's... he's wrong. It depends on the chip, paste and ho well the heatsink is placed on.

Point is, most Core 2 Duo's will run about 40 C. That is reasonable. It is a stable temperature, and don't get excited. You should be unhappy if it rises over 45, not because it will damage your system, simply because it means you probably need the put the heatsink on better.

The system should be completely stable well above that, even up to 70 or more. Your problems are coming from a different source.

Generally, the culprit is faulty memory, motherboard, or power supply. Do you have an old power supply you can swap in to test it? It would need to be 24 pin. Does your system power off after a minute even if you are sitting in the BIOS doing nothing? If not, exactly at what point in the loading of windows does it shut down? Does the system make any beeps, and how many? Is there enough time for you to go the the control panel and disable automatic restart, so you can see a blue screen message? Does the system restart, or shutdown? Try disconnecting all unnecessary components and start up again. Try clearing you cmos (by removing batter for a minute, or moving jumpers), resetting to defaults, and try flashing bios with usb disk. Try moving your memory to different slots. If you use two memory sticks, make sure they are in alternating slots, and for testing purposes, try removing one, then putting back and removing the other.

Hope something works! Debugging is a pain.
January 12, 2007 1:04:31 PM

Also, check that your ram setting in the bios. Which ram do you have? It should state the appropriate voltage and settings. Make sure you are running at the correct speed, latencies, and voltage. Voltage is especially important. If it is all correct, try raising the latencies by one. (eg 4-4-4-15 to 5-5-5-15)

Bruce
January 12, 2007 1:07:59 PM

Someone else had an interesting point: did you plug in the 4-pin on the motherboard as well as the 24pin? And did you plug the correct 4 pin? There are two, you need to select the first one.
January 12, 2007 1:52:58 PM

Thanks for all the advice - I reseated the fan and now everything seems to be working properly. If any further strange reboots occur I'll come crawling back.

I really appreciate all the help and advice - I'm feeling happy now that my first build seems to have ended up not quite as disastrously as it was seeming for a while.
!