Rookie to the game, need any help or advice

SPAWN88

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I have read a few posts in this forum and in other general hardware before posting but no one has the parts I am starting off with. I recently purchased an intel bundle b/c of who I work with, I got a E6300, Intel Board DG965WHMKR and Vista Ultimate for $220+s/h. I know that the board doesnt have sli but I wanted to know if anyone has ever used one or if this would be a decent board to try to overclock on?

Patiently waiting on any feedback

p.e.a.c.e.

I have read a few posts in this forum and in other general hardware before posting but no one has the parts I am starting off with. I recently purchased an intel bundle b/c of who I work with, I got a E6300, Intel Board DG965WHMKR and Vista Ultimate for $220+s/h. I know that the board doesnt have sli but I wanted to know if anyone has ever used one or if this would be a decent board to try to overclock on?

Patiently waiting on any feedback

p.e.a.c.e.

8O
Where!?!

The intel boards arn't as good for overclocking as a good aftermarket one, but you should be able to push it a ways past stock.

Vist Ultimate + spare hardware for $220!
Is it just the upgrade coupon or the actuial cd?

SPAWN88

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I work for Office Depot and every manufacture we work with closely always has incentives for us to push their products. So it is the real cd but since I am buying it early, they will give me beta cd to start off with. Any particular reason these Intel boards dont OC well??? If I get a new heatsink and/or fan would that help. just want to bump the 1.86E6300 to about 2.5 or higher

Well....

Never had the *luck* to own an intel board myself, but they are straight refrence design for their chipset.
That means no enhansed voltage regulators or mb cooling.

Also, intel makes the cpu.
Im pretty shure some bigwig is thinking they might sell more high $$ cpu's if their boards can't overclock verry much.

If you wanted to get to 2.5GHz with a E6300 you would be looking at ~357fsb.
You could definatly try to hit that, just don't take it all in one step.
As I have never oc'ed one of these, I would start off at 300fsb and step it up from there.
Even that would get you up to 2.1GHz which is a good boost.

The stock cooler should be sufficent for your venture as you shouldn't have to boost your cpu voltage any.

:cry:
I was hoping I could rebuild my media box and get Vista at the same time too.

O-well, when you get the full version, you could always ship the beta to me :wink: