WINNT File Folder Size

Quick question. Trying to manage storage space. Have Windows 2000 install.
I'm not an experience win 2K administrator. The size of the WINNT folder is
just under 4 gigs. The box in question only has 6 gigs on the C drive. Does
4 gigs make sense? What is all that space?

Ray
6 answers Last reply
More about winnt file folder size

    Some things to check;

    Clean out your %windir%\Temp, and \Documents and Settings\%username%\Local
    Settings\Temp directory. Delete the Temporary Internet Files, and History.
    Do you have a disk defragmenter, if not get one and use it. You could use
    Find|Files/ Folders and search the drive for; say files greater than 5mB and
    then decide if they're needed. Check the %windir% directory for a
    $NtServicePackUninstall$ directory, if your current service pack is stable
    and you don't anticipate backing down, you can delete the dir. Also check
    for the existence of User.dmp and Memory.dmp (both, by default should be in
    the %windir% directory) you can delete these unless your going to send them
    to the application vendor, or Microsoft for troubleshooting purposes. Other
    options are; moving the pagefile to one of the other drives, uninstall your
    programs that are installed in C:\Program Files and reinstall them to
    D:\Program Files If you have a lot of local user profiles stored, you can
    move them, see this article for info on this.

    How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214470/

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    From: "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Quick question. Trying to manage storage space. Have Windows 2000 install.
    | I'm not an experience win 2K administrator. The size of the WINNT folder is
    | just under 4 gigs. The box in question only has 6 gigs on the C drive. Does
    | 4 gigs make sense? What is all that space?
    |
    | Ray

    Clean out c:\winnt\temp

    Del OLD C:\Winnt\$NtUninstallKB???????$ folders.

    Is the partition NTFS and if so, have you enabled compressio on the the whole drive or at
    least the; c:\winnt tree ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    For what it's worth, my WINNT folder occupies 1.81 Gb, including all of
    the uninstall folders and a files totally a fairly sizeable amount that
    result from running Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/).

    --
    Gary L. Smith
    Columbus, Ohio

    "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> skrev i melding

    ----

    > How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214470/

    Sadly, it only applies to server OS.

    No, it makes no difference, but save this for a last resort.

    --

    "Geir Klemetsen" wrote:
    | > How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214470/
    |
    | Sadly, it only applies to server OS.

  6. My System32 folder contains 2 GB of info, so thats where a large amount of your data is. but dont delete anything, since it is crucial to Windows.
    The folder name is: C:\WINNT\system32 on a windows 2000 machine. my xp and windows 7 machine is C:\WINDOWS\system32.

    But dont delete anything!!!!

Microsoft Windows