WINNT File Folder Size

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 19, 2005 4:06:07 PM

Quick question. Trying to manage storage space. Have Windows 2000 install.
I'm not an experience win 2K administrator. The size of the WINNT folder is
just under 4 gigs. The box in question only has 6 gigs on the C drive. Does
4 gigs make sense? What is all that space?

Ray

More about : winnt file folder size

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 7:04:22 PM

Some things to check;

Clean out your %windir%\Temp, and \Documents and Settings\%username%\Local
Settings\Temp directory. Delete the Temporary Internet Files, and History.
Do you have a disk defragmenter, if not get one and use it. You could use
Find|Files/ Folders and search the drive for; say files greater than 5mB and
then decide if they're needed. Check the %windir% directory for a
$NtServicePackUninstall$ directory, if your current service pack is stable
and you don't anticipate backing down, you can delete the dir. Also check
for the existence of User.dmp and Memory.dmp (both, by default should be in
the %windir% directory) you can delete these unless your going to send them
to the application vendor, or Microsoft for troubleshooting purposes. Other
options are; moving the pagefile to one of the other drives, uninstall your
programs that are installed in C:\Program Files and reinstall them to
D:\Program Files If you have a lot of local user profiles stored, you can
move them, see this article for info on this.

How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214470/

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ray" wrote:
| Quick question. Trying to manage storage space. Have Windows 2000
install.
| I'm not an experience win 2K administrator. The size of the WINNT folder
is
| just under 4 gigs. The box in question only has 6 gigs on the C drive.
Does
| 4 gigs make sense? What is all that space?
|
| Ray
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 7:11:49 PM

From: "Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Quick question. Trying to manage storage space. Have Windows 2000 install.
| I'm not an experience win 2K administrator. The size of the WINNT folder is
| just under 4 gigs. The box in question only has 6 gigs on the C drive. Does
| 4 gigs make sense? What is all that space?
|
| Ray

Clean out c:\winnt\temp

Del OLD C:\Winnt\$NtUninstallKB???????$ folders.

Is the partition NTFS and if so, have you enabled compressio on the the whole drive or at
least the; c:\winnt tree ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

For what it's worth, my WINNT folder occupies 1.81 Gb, including all of
the uninstall folders and a files totally a fairly sizeable amount that
result from running Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/).

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio

"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> skrev i melding
news:o xz722VvFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

----

> How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214470/

Sadly, it only applies to server OS.
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 3:13:00 AM

No, it makes no difference, but save this for a last resort.

--

"Geir Klemetsen" wrote:
| > How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214470/
|
| Sadly, it only applies to server OS.

February 14, 2012 10:43:45 AM

My System32 folder contains 2 GB of info, so thats where a large amount of your data is. but dont delete anything, since it is crucial to Windows.
The folder name is: C:\WINNT\system32 on a windows 2000 machine. my xp and windows 7 machine is C:\WINDOWS\system32.

But dont delete anything!!!!
!