Win2k./Win2k3 server and memory/user.dmp files

I have a couple of Win2000 servers and a couple of Win2003 servers. They've
been running solidly for quite some time. I have some older memory.dmp and
user.dmp files on the hard disk. I am not using them for debugging anything
and they are rather large so I would like to just delete them.

My hesitation is because of their location.

I have a memory.dmp in the systemroot directory which I would expect
because that is where I have it configured to go. This memory.dmp file is
many moons old and no longer useful. Any reason not to outright delete it??
Do I need to recreate an empty memory.dmp or will Win2k and 2k3 create it if
ever required again?

I also have a user.dmp file in a DrWatson directory. I think this is where
this one belongs as well and same as memory.dmp I should be able to delete
it. Am I on target?

Here's one that throws me off a little - this is on a win2k box. There is a
user.dmp file in c:\documents and settings\all users\documents\ then
drwatson. I'm not sure how this one got there but I was not expecting to
find it there.

I guess, is there any reason or need to keep memory.dmp or user.dmp files
regardless of their location if one is not using them from troubleshooting
anything? Regardless of where they are stored - any reason not to just
delete when finished with them?

thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about win2k win2k3 server memory user files

    No problem. Go ahead a delete them.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Steve" wrote:
    |I have a couple of Win2000 servers and a couple of Win2003 servers. They've
    | been running solidly for quite some time. I have some older memory.dmp and
    | user.dmp files on the hard disk. I am not using them for debugging
    anything
    | and they are rather large so I would like to just delete them.
    |
    | My hesitation is because of their location.
    |
    | I have a memory.dmp in the systemroot directory which I would expect
    | because that is where I have it configured to go. This memory.dmp file is
    | many moons old and no longer useful. Any reason not to outright delete
    it??
    | Do I need to recreate an empty memory.dmp or will Win2k and 2k3 create it
    if
    | ever required again?
    |
    | I also have a user.dmp file in a DrWatson directory. I think this is where
    | this one belongs as well and same as memory.dmp I should be able to delete
    | it. Am I on target?
    |
    | Here's one that throws me off a little - this is on a win2k box. There is
    | user.dmp file in c:\documents and settings\all users\documents\ then
    | drwatson. I'm not sure how this one got there but I was not expecting to
    | find it there.
    |
    | I guess, is there any reason or need to keep memory.dmp or user.dmp files
    | regardless of their location if one is not using them from troubleshooting
    | anything? Regardless of where they are stored - any reason not to just
    | delete when finished with them?
    |
    | thanks

Memory Servers Windows