User Profile

I want to move a user profile from one machine to another. I have run into a
problem in the past copying the profile from one one machine to another with
the local Group Policy. The GPO frm the old machine would be applied and not
the GPO on the new machine. Even when I would modify the conf. on the new
machine it would not apply on the newly copied user profile. Any advice on
how to copy the user profile from one machine to another would be greatly
appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about user profile

    Hello,

    Thanks for posting!

    I understand that the GPO on the new machine will not apply to the newly
    copied user profile and you want to know how to move profile from one
    Windows 2000 to another Windows 2000. If I have misunderstood your
    concerns, please feel free to let me know.

    You may migrate from user old profile to new one using USMT tool. You may
    use User State Migration tool (USMT), The User State Migration tool is
    designed for administrators only; individual users do not have to use the
    User State Migration tool.

    User State Migration Tool
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/usmt-o.asp

    Download Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) version 2.6
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4af2d2c9-f16c-4c52-
    a203-8daf944dd555&DisplayLang=en

    Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
    | Subject: User Profile
    | Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:10:04 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    |
    | I want to move a user profile from one machine to another. I have run
    into a
    | problem in the past copying the profile from one one machine to another
    with
    | the local Group Policy. The GPO frm the old machine would be applied and
    not
    | the GPO on the new machine. Even when I would modify the conf. on the
    new
    | machine it would not apply on the newly copied user profile. Any advice
    on
    | how to copy the user profile from one machine to another would be greatly
    | appreciated.

    When you say it is designed for administrators only what do oyu mean? Do you
    mean it shopuld only be used to migrate admin acounts and not regualr user
    accounts? Can I use this to migrate any user to a new computer.

    "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Thanks for posting!
    >
    > I understand that the GPO on the new machine will not apply to the newly
    > copied user profile and you want to know how to move profile from one
    > Windows 2000 to another Windows 2000. If I have misunderstood your
    > concerns, please feel free to let me know.
    >
    > You may migrate from user old profile to new one using USMT tool. You may
    > use User State Migration tool (USMT), The User State Migration tool is
    > designed for administrators only; individual users do not have to use the
    > User State Migration tool.
    >
    > User State Migration Tool
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/usmt-o.asp
    >
    > Download Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) version 2.6
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4af2d2c9-f16c-4c52-
    > a203-8daf944dd555&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
    > feel free to let me know.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Jason Tan
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > --------------------
    > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
    > <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
    > | Subject: User Profile
    > | Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:10:04 -0700
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    > |
    > | I want to move a user profile from one machine to another. I have run
    > into a
    > | problem in the past copying the profile from one one machine to another
    > with
    > | the local Group Policy. The GPO frm the old machine would be applied and
    > not
    > | the GPO on the new machine. Even when I would modify the conf. on the
    > new
    > | machine it would not apply on the newly copied user profile. Any advice
    > on
    > | how to copy the user profile from one machine to another would be greatly
    > | appreciated.

    Hello,

    Thanks for reply!

    | When you say it is designed for administrators only what do oyu mean? Do
    you
    | mean it shopuld only be used to migrate admin acounts and not regualr
    user
    | accounts? Can I use this to migrate any user to a new computer.

    No, USMT can migrate not only just admin account but also regular user
    account . The USMT tool is designed for administrators means that it is
    convenience for IT Administrator Staff to run the tool in an enterprise
    environment.

    If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

    Have a good day!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
    <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
    | Subject: RE: User Profile
    | Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:37:12 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    |
    | When you say it is designed for administrators only what do oyu mean? Do
    you
    | mean it shopuld only be used to migrate admin acounts and not regualr
    user
    | accounts? Can I use this to migrate any user to a new computer.
    |
    | "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
    |
    | > Hello,
    | >
    | > Thanks for posting!
    | >
    | > I understand that the GPO on the new machine will not apply to the
    newly
    | > copied user profile and you want to know how to move profile from one
    | > Windows 2000 to another Windows 2000. If I have misunderstood your
    | > concerns, please feel free to let me know.
    | >
    | > You may migrate from user old profile to new one using USMT tool. You
    may
    | > use User State Migration tool (USMT), The User State Migration tool is
    | > designed for administrators only; individual users do not have to use
    the
    | > User State Migration tool.
    | >
    | > User State Migration Tool

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/usmt-o.asp

    | > Download Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) version 2.6

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4af2d2c9-f16c-4c52-
    | > a203-8daf944dd555&DisplayLang=en
    | >
    | > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear,
    please
    | > feel free to let me know.
    | >
    | > Thanks & Regards,
    | >
    | > Jason Tan
    | >
    | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    | >
    | > =====================================================
    | >
    | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    so

    | > =====================================================
    rights.

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
    | > <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
    | > | Subject: User Profile
    | > | Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:10:04 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    | > |
    | > | I want to move a user profile from one machine to another. I have
    run
    | > into a
    | > | problem in the past copying the profile from one one machine to
    another
    | > with
    | > | the local Group Policy. The GPO frm the old machine would be applied
    and
    | > not
    | > | the GPO on the new machine. Even when I would modify the conf. on
    the
    | > new
    | > | machine it would not apply on the newly copied user profile. Any
    advice
    | > on
    | > | how to copy the user profile from one machine to another would be
    greatly
    | > | appreciated.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    This tool works great. Is there a way to do this for remote computer. Could
    I run this tool on my pc to migrate the profile for a remote pc.
    "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:

> [...]
    > | >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/usmt-o.asp
    > | >
    > | > Download Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) version 2.6
    > | >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4af2d2c9-f16c-4c52-
    > | > a203-8daf944dd555&DisplayLang=en
    > | >
    > | > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear,
    > please
    > | > feel free to let me know.
    > | >
    > | > Thanks & Regards,
    > | >
    > | > Jason Tan
    > | >
    > | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
    > | >
    > | > =====================================================
    > | >
    > | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    > so
    > | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > | >
    > | > =====================================================
    > | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

    Hello,

    Thanks for your prompt reply! Good to hear the information helps. However,
    based on my research, I am afraid that the USMT tool does not support
    remote operation. USMT can migrate multiple users on a single machine.Maybe
    you can use other remote control tools such as Remote Desktop to perform
    the operation. More information below is for your reference:

    300698 The Features of the Remote Desktop Client in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300698

    Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
    <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
    | Subject: RE: User Profile
    | Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:23:03 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    |
    | This tool works great. Is there a way to do this for remote computer.
    Could
    | I run this tool on my pc to migrate the profile for a remote pc.
    | "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
    |
    | > Hello,
    | >
    | > Thanks for reply!
    | >
    | > | When you say it is designed for administrators only what do oyu mean?
    Do
    | > you
    | > | mean it shopuld only be used to migrate admin acounts and not regualr
    | > user
    | > | accounts? Can I use this to migrate any user to a new computer.
    | >
    | > No, USMT can migrate not only just admin account but also regular user
    | > account . The USMT tool is designed for administrators means that it is
    | > convenience for IT Administrator Staff to run the tool in an enterprise
    | > environment.
    | >
    | > If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
    | >
    | > Have a good day!
    | >
    | > Thanks & Regards,
    | >
    | > Jason Tan
    | >
    | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    | >
    | > =====================================================
    | >
    | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    so

    | > =====================================================
    rights.

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
    | > <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
    | > | Subject: RE: User Profile
    | > | Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:37:12 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
    | > |
    | > | When you say it is designed for administrators only what do oyu mean?
    Do
    | > you
    | > | mean it shopuld only be used to migrate admin acounts and not regualr
    | > user
    | > | accounts? Can I use this to migrate any user to a new computer.
    | > |
    | > | "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
    | > |

    | > newly