I want to move a user profile from one machine to another. I have run into a
problem in the past copying the profile from one one machine to another with
the local Group Policy. The GPO frm the old machine would be applied and not
the GPO on the new machine. Even when I would modify the conf. on the new
machine it would not apply on the newly copied user profile. Any advice on
how to copy the user profile from one machine to another would be greatly
appreciated.

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that the GPO on the new machine will not apply to the newly
copied user profile and you want to know how to move profile from one
Windows 2000 to another Windows 2000. If I have misunderstood your
concerns, please feel free to let me know.

You may migrate from user old profile to new one using USMT tool. You may
use User State Migration tool (USMT), The User State Migration tool is
designed for administrators only; individual users do not have to use the
User State Migration tool.

User State Migration Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/usmt-o.asp

Download Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) version 2.6
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4af2d2c9-f16c-4c52-
a203-8daf944dd555&DisplayLang=en

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
<georgedschneider@news.postalias>
| Subject: User Profile
| Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:10:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| I want to move a user profile from one machine to another. I have run
into a
| problem in the past copying the profile from one one machine to another
with
| the local Group Policy. The GPO frm the old machine would be applied and
not
| the GPO on the new machine. Even when I would modify the conf. on the
new
| machine it would not apply on the newly copied user profile. Any advice
on
| how to copy the user profile from one machine to another would be greatly
| appreciated.

When you say it is designed for administrators only what do oyu mean? Do you
mean it shopuld only be used to migrate admin acounts and not regualr user
accounts? Can I use this to migrate any user to a new computer.

"Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for posting!
>
> I understand that the GPO on the new machine will not apply to the newly
> copied user profile and you want to know how to move profile from one
> Windows 2000 to another Windows 2000. If I have misunderstood your
> concerns, please feel free to let me know.
>
> You may migrate from user old profile to new one using USMT tool. You may
> use User State Migration tool (USMT), The User State Migration tool is
> designed for administrators only; individual users do not have to use the
> User State Migration tool.
>
> User State Migration Tool
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/usmt-o.asp
>
> Download Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) version 2.6
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4af2d2c9-f16c-4c52-
> a203-8daf944dd555&DisplayLang=en
>
> Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
> feel free to let me know.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Jason Tan
>
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> --------------------
> | From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
> <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
> | Subject: User Profile
> | Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:10:04 -0700
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
> |
> | I want to move a user profile from one machine to another. I have run
> into a
> | problem in the past copying the profile from one one machine to another
> with
> | the local Group Policy. The GPO frm the old machine would be applied and
> not
> | the GPO on the new machine. Even when I would modify the conf. on the
> new
> | machine it would not apply on the newly copied user profile. Any advice
> on
> | how to copy the user profile from one machine to another would be greatly
> | appreciated.

Hello,

Thanks for reply!

| When you say it is designed for administrators only what do oyu mean? Do
you
| mean it shopuld only be used to migrate admin acounts and not regualr
user
| accounts? Can I use this to migrate any user to a new computer.

No, USMT can migrate not only just admin account but also regular user
account . The USMT tool is designed for administrators means that it is
convenience for IT Administrator Staff to run the tool in an enterprise
environment.

If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
<georgedschneider@news.postalias>
| Subject: RE: User Profile
| Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:37:12 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| When you say it is designed for administrators only what do oyu mean? Do
you
| mean it shopuld only be used to migrate admin acounts and not regualr
user
| accounts? Can I use this to migrate any user to a new computer.
|
| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > Thanks for posting!
| >
| > I understand that the GPO on the new machine will not apply to the
newly
| > copied user profile and you want to know how to move profile from one
| > Windows 2000 to another Windows 2000. If I have misunderstood your
| > concerns, please feel free to let me know.
| >
| > You may migrate from user old profile to new one using USMT tool. You
may
| > use User State Migration tool (USMT), The User State Migration tool is
| > designed for administrators only; individual users do not have to use
the
| > User State Migration tool.
| >
| > User State Migration Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/usmt-o.asp

| > Download Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) version 2.6

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4af2d2c9-f16c-4c52-
| > a203-8daf944dd555&DisplayLang=en
| >
| > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear,
please
| > feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
| > <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
| > | Subject: User Profile
| > | Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:10:04 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
| > |
| > | I want to move a user profile from one machine to another. I have
run
| > into a
| > | problem in the past copying the profile from one one machine to
another
| > with
| > | the local Group Policy. The GPO frm the old machine would be applied
and
| > not
| > | the GPO on the new machine. Even when I would modify the conf. on
the
| > new
| > | machine it would not apply on the newly copied user profile. Any
advice
| > on
| > | how to copy the user profile from one machine to another would be
greatly
| > | appreciated.
| > |
| > |
| > |

This tool works great. Is there a way to do this for remote computer. Could
I run this tool on my pc to migrate the profile for a remote pc.
"Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:

> [...]
> | >
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/usmt-o.asp
> | >
> | > Download Windows User State Migration Tool (USMT) version 2.6
> | >
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4af2d2c9-f16c-4c52-
> | > a203-8daf944dd555&DisplayLang=en
> | >
> | > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear,
> please
> | > feel free to let me know.
> | >
> | > Thanks & Regards,
> | >
> | > Jason Tan
> | >
> | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
> | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
> | >
> | > =====================================================
> | >
> | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
> so
> | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> | >
> | > =====================================================
> | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

Hello,

Thanks for your prompt reply! Good to hear the information helps. However,
based on my research, I am afraid that the USMT tool does not support
remote operation. USMT can migrate multiple users on a single machine.Maybe
you can use other remote control tools such as Remote Desktop to perform
the operation. More information below is for your reference:

300698 The Features of the Remote Desktop Client in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300698

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
<georgedschneider@news.postalias>
| Subject: RE: User Profile
| Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:23:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| This tool works great. Is there a way to do this for remote computer.
Could
| I run this tool on my pc to migrate the profile for a remote pc.
| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > Thanks for reply!
| >
| > | When you say it is designed for administrators only what do oyu mean?
Do
| > you
| > | mean it shopuld only be used to migrate admin acounts and not regualr
| > user
| > | accounts? Can I use this to migrate any user to a new computer.
| >
| > No, USMT can migrate not only just admin account but also regular user
| > account . The USMT tool is designed for administrators means that it is
| > convenience for IT Administrator Staff to run the tool in an enterprise
| > environment.
| >
| > If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Have a good day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
| > <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
| > | Subject: RE: User Profile
| > | Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:37:12 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
| > |
| > | When you say it is designed for administrators only what do oyu mean?
Do
| > you
| > | mean it shopuld only be used to migrate admin acounts and not regualr
| > user
| > | accounts? Can I use this to migrate any user to a new computer.
| > |
| > | "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
| > |

| > newly