Powernow not working after re-format

srt4b

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
I recently formatted my laptop (HP dv5115nr) to get rid of all the trial/crapware :x , and now my Powernow is not adjusting the CPU clock speed.

The think is on FIRE :evil: , the fans are running non-stop :!:

Any ideas??

Thanks.

guller

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
You need to download the AMD processor driver for your chip. The stock XP "processor.sys" doesn't support powernow. You can find the driver you have installed in the device manager, it's probably processor.sys.

As for Jaguarskx did you check your bios settings for enable speedstep?

Good Luck

As for Jaguarskx did you check your bios settings for enable speedstep?

Yep, spent 5 days researching the problem. The only conclusion is that some part of the SpeedStep was not install properly with Windows. RMClock mimics SpeedStep and actually has options where you can control the clock multiplier to your specifications. Of course, it will not unlock a CPU.

Julian33

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
I seem to remember reading somewhere that in addition to the driver, you need to set your power scheme to portable/laptop in your power options in the control panel. I did this when it wasn't working on my desktop and it fixed the problem.

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I believe you need to set your computer to a portable/laptop in your power settings for speed step or cool n quiet to work properly. Its worth a shot at least.

srt4b

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Thanks for the replies, the AMD drivers did it, I also installed the Power Monitor to keep an eye on things.

What is the ideal CPU temp on a Mobile Turion 64 Laptop?

Thanks!

Just a quick reference...

For AMD

get the AMD QnC driver and set power management to "minimal power managment"

For INTEL

Set portable/laptop under power management......

For BOTH

There is a bios option....

@jaguarskx
are you overclocked(with extra Vcore)? that can kill speed step....can you pm me a run down on RMclock.....i would not mind being able to overclock(with more vcore)and keep speed step...