Samsung flaw with digital cable HDTV input ?

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
April 25, 2004 12:08:18 PM

Just got digital cable yesterday. If I want to watch non-HDTV programs
I have to use the analog input. If I want to watch a HDTV program in
HDTV format I have to switch to the component input. VERY ANNOYING.

The installer said that my Samsung HLN507W is one of the few models
that has this drawback. Any suggestions how to get around this?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
April 25, 2004 3:58:11 PM

"GreyWater" <82wb1lq001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> Just got digital cable yesterday. If I want to watch non-HDTV programs
> I have to use the analog input. If I want to watch a HDTV program in
> HDTV format I have to switch to the component input. VERY ANNOYING.
>
> The installer said that my Samsung HLN507W is one of the few models
> that has this drawback. Any suggestions how to get around this?

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. I'd like to see what most Samsung DLP
set owners think of the quality of the picture on non HD TV broadcasts. I
think it's somewhat poor. I've tried using the S-video input for non-HD and
I think it's a little better. I don't think one would buy this set if
they're watching mostly non HD content. DVD's look pretty good. Anyone
else have any feelings on this?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
April 25, 2004 8:08:51 PM

GreyWater wrote:

> Just got digital cable yesterday. If I want to watch non-HDTV programs
> I have to use the analog input. If I want to watch a HDTV program in
> HDTV format I have to switch to the component input. VERY ANNOYING.
>
> The installer said that my Samsung HLN507W is one of the few models
> that has this drawback. Any suggestions how to get around this?

My HLN467W has no problem displaying analog channels and
non-HD channels on the component input. It basically will
display anything the digital cable box will output.

Perhaps it's a problem with the cable box. I have the
Scientific Atlanta 3250.

Regards, Daniel

| danielmbarton@yahoo.com |
a b Ô Samsung
April 25, 2004 9:11:49 PM

Figured it out. It was in the way the Motorola DCT6200 was set up by
the tech. If you keep the TV on and turn the Motorola off, then hit
menu on the Motorola you get a setup menu. I set the 4:3 override to
OFF and now it works off of component input for all channels.

Some of the analog channels look worse on component input than analog
input.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
April 27, 2004 11:39:38 AM

When I was auditioning competitors prior to buying, I noticed that the Sammy
DLP didn't do analog as well as the Sony LCD. Since much of my viewing is
still SD, I opted for the Sony. In another 2 to 4 years, the selection might
go the other way.

YMMV

> Figured it out. It was in the way the Motorola DCT6200 was set up by
> the tech. If you keep the TV on and turn the Motorola off, then hit
> menu on the Motorola you get a setup menu. I set the 4:3 override to
> OFF and now it works off of component input for all channels.
>
> Some of the analog channels look worse on component input than analog
> input.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
April 28, 2004 7:59:39 AM

Very happy with my 61" DLP unit. I have digital cable for it. Non-HDTP
pictures look very good. HDTV is great. Darker images from either source
are not so good. In fact I like the Sammy DLP for most normal images over
some other systems because of it's chip set and how it treats a standard
signal.

!