How to reposition the start menu?

Apparently it's not only possible to reposition the start menu, but I have
unwittingly accomplished this remarkable feat. Now my problem is how to put
it back in its place where it rightly belongs. I figure there is somewhere I
grab it with the mouse and pull it, but I can't seem to locate that spot. As
far as I can tell, moving the start menu is an undocumented feature.

It's documented. Open Help and Support, enter "Moving the Taskbar" in the
search box.

Make sure the taskbar is not locked. Grab the taskbar and drag it to
whatever side of the screen you prefer. (The Start menu is part of the
taskbar)

"srdiamond" <srdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Apparently it's not only possible to reposition the start menu, but I have
> unwittingly accomplished this remarkable feat. Now my problem is how to
> put
> it back in its place where it rightly belongs. I figure there is somewhere
> grab it with the mouse and pull it, but I can't seem to locate that spot.
> As
> far as I can tell, moving the start menu is an undocumented feature.

I figured the taskbar might be the component that the index references,
except I spelled it Task Bar. It's "Start <space> Menu," so why is TaskBar
one word. A little consistency would go a long way.

I also kept trying to grab it by the edge, precisely where you are NOT
supposed to grab it.

In news:DCBC5DD8-4E0D-4F6F-A762-3267D458A03F@microsoft.com,
srdiamond <srdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Apparently it's not only possible to reposition the start menu,
> but I
> have unwittingly accomplished this remarkable feat.

You mean the "Task Bar"?

> Now my problem is
> how to put it back in its place where it rightly belongs.

It doesn't "rightly belong" anywhere. Although by default the
task bar appears on the bottom of the screen, it can be on any of
the sides you prefer it on. To move it from any side to another,
simply click on an unused part of it and drag it where you want
it. Be sure to click *within* it, not on the edge; clicking on
the edge and dragging will resize it
If it won't move, it may be locked. In that case, right click on
it and uncheck "Lock the taskbar," then try again.

Please reply to the newsgroup

If you were trying to grab the edge I can see your difficulty. I think it
is Start Menu because it is the menu reached from the Start button and not a
Startmenu button. Just a guess.

>I figured the taskbar might be the component that the index references,
> except I spelled it Task Bar. It's "Start <space> Menu," so why is TaskBar
> one word. A little consistency would go a long way.
>
> I also kept trying to grab it by the edge, precisely where you are NOT
> supposed to grab it.
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> It's documented. Open Help and Support, enter "Moving the Taskbar" in
>> the
>> search box.
>>
>> Make sure the taskbar is not locked. Grab the taskbar and drag it to
>> whatever side of the screen you prefer. (The Start menu is part of the
>> taskbar)
>>
>> --
>> "srdiamond" <srdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Apparently it's not only possible to reposition the start menu, but I
>> > have
>> > unwittingly accomplished this remarkable feat. Now my problem is how to
>> > put
>> > it back in its place where it rightly belongs. I figure there is
>> > somewhere
>> > grab it with the mouse and pull it, but I can't seem to locate that
>> > spot.
>> > As
>> > far as I can tell, moving the start menu is an undocumented feature.

Hi,

First, right-click it and make sure it is not locked. If it is, click that
line to uncheck it. Then, left-click and drag a blank area near the system
tray to the preferred edge of the screen.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone