How to reposition the start menu?

Apparently it's not only possible to reposition the start menu, but I have
unwittingly accomplished this remarkable feat. Now my problem is how to put
it back in its place where it rightly belongs. I figure there is somewhere I
grab it with the mouse and pull it, but I can't seem to locate that spot. As
far as I can tell, moving the start menu is an undocumented feature.
5 answers Last reply
More about reposition start menu

    It's documented. Open Help and Support, enter "Moving the Taskbar" in the
    search box.

    Make sure the taskbar is not locked. Grab the taskbar and drag it to
    whatever side of the screen you prefer. (The Start menu is part of the
    taskbar)

    "srdiamond" <srdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Apparently it's not only possible to reposition the start menu, but I have
    > unwittingly accomplished this remarkable feat. Now my problem is how to
    > put
    > it back in its place where it rightly belongs. I figure there is somewhere
    > grab it with the mouse and pull it, but I can't seem to locate that spot.
    > As
    > far as I can tell, moving the start menu is an undocumented feature.

    I figured the taskbar might be the component that the index references,
    except I spelled it Task Bar. It's "Start <space> Menu," so why is TaskBar
    one word. A little consistency would go a long way.

    I also kept trying to grab it by the edge, precisely where you are NOT
    supposed to grab it.

    In news:DCBC5DD8-4E0D-4F6F-A762-3267D458A03F@microsoft.com,
    srdiamond <srdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Apparently it's not only possible to reposition the start menu,
    > but I
    > have unwittingly accomplished this remarkable feat.

    You mean the "Task Bar"?

    > Now my problem is
    > how to put it back in its place where it rightly belongs.

    It doesn't "rightly belong" anywhere. Although by default the
    task bar appears on the bottom of the screen, it can be on any of
    the sides you prefer it on. To move it from any side to another,
    simply click on an unused part of it and drag it where you want
    it. Be sure to click *within* it, not on the edge; clicking on
    the edge and dragging will resize it
    If it won't move, it may be locked. In that case, right click on
    it and uncheck "Lock the taskbar," then try again.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    If you were trying to grab the edge I can see your difficulty. I think it
    is Start Menu because it is the menu reached from the Start button and not a
    Startmenu button. Just a guess.

    >I figured the taskbar might be the component that the index references,
    > except I spelled it Task Bar. It's "Start <space> Menu," so why is TaskBar
    > one word. A little consistency would go a long way.
    >
    > I also kept trying to grab it by the edge, precisely where you are NOT
    > supposed to grab it.
    >

    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> It's documented. Open Help and Support, enter "Moving the Taskbar" in
    >> the
    >> search box.
    >>
    >> Make sure the taskbar is not locked. Grab the taskbar and drag it to
    >> whatever side of the screen you prefer. (The Start menu is part of the
    >> taskbar)
    >>
    >> --
    >> "srdiamond" <srdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Apparently it's not only possible to reposition the start menu, but I
    >> > have
    >> > unwittingly accomplished this remarkable feat. Now my problem is how to
    >> > put
    >> > it back in its place where it rightly belongs. I figure there is
    >> > somewhere
    >> > grab it with the mouse and pull it, but I can't seem to locate that
    >> > spot.
    >> > As
    >> > far as I can tell, moving the start menu is an undocumented feature.

    Hi,

    First, right-click it and make sure it is not locked. If it is, click that
    line to uncheck it. Then, left-click and drag a blank area near the system
    tray to the preferred edge of the screen.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "srdiamond" <srdiamond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Apparently it's not only possible to reposition the start menu, but I have
    > unwittingly accomplished this remarkable feat. Now my problem is how to
    > put
    > it back in its place where it rightly belongs. I figure there is somewhere
    > grab it with the mouse and pull it, but I can't seem to locate that spot.
    > As
    > far as I can tell, moving the start menu is an undocumented feature.

Start Menu Microsoft Windows XP