10,000 RPM SATAII HDD's

Psinet

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
*Oops just found the other thread - feel free to move it, but mine is better anyway ;) Soz about that.

Any company that wants to release a 10000 RPM platter HDD on a 3.0Gb/s platform with all other SATA II options would clean up right now.
I am looking around for the fastest SATA drive around, and it appears to be the 74Gb Raptor. What I want to know is, does anyone have any insights into future harddrives on the horizon? I ask this as I really want to know if it is worth waiting a while for some new tech, or to just go ahead and buy now.

Some WD Raptor info:

WD Raptor includes SATA II NCQ. Benchmark testing shows that SATA II NCQ improves random I/O workload performance.

SATA II is an industry specification to define those things necessary for compatibility. SATA II has a number of optional features: NCQ, 3.0 Gb/s SATA, port multiplier, port selector, asynchronous signal recovery, soft settings preservation and thats about it. All of these features are optional. Instead of labeling a drive as “SATA II,” WD simply states drive features. WD Raptor offers 36 to 150 GB, 10,000 RPM, 16 MB cache, 1.5 Gb/s SATA, and SATA II NCQ. It’s important to understand that disk drive performance is dependent on rotation speed and seek time, not
wire speed. The 10,000 rpm WD Raptor (at 1.5 Gb/s) outperforms ALL other SATA II (3.0 Gb/s) drives available.

The speed of the connection does not determine the performance of the drive. Most drives transfer data at considerably lower than 100 MB/s, and the 1.5 Gb/s SATA connection is capable of 150 MB/s. Moving to a 3.0Gb/s connection does not increase drive performance, because the 1.5Gb/s connection is more than capable of carrying all I/O already.

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Raptors are excellent drives, go ahead and get one now. There will always be something new on the horizon, if you waited you'd be waiting forever :wink: . Also for future reference there is no such thing as sata II, and 3.0Gb/s does not offer any distinct performance advantages and is nothing more than a marketing gimmick(NCQ can be found on sata 1.5Gb/s)