Windows 2000 update language options

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 21, 2005 3:03:47 PM

I have always used english versions of operating system and applications, as
there is no real help available from the manufacturer of the operating
system applications. By using english versions I get warnings etc in english
and can use this information to Google help to my problems.

I use W2k (Sp4) and got a situation where the IE6 (Sp1...) wished to direct
me into Microsoft Update pages.

Suddenly I face text written in finnish. The Windows Update FAQ says (in
finnish) that Microsoft Update will recognize the language settings of
installed software autonmatically and shows the updates with languages set
accordingly.

How is it possible that Windows Update has recognized that I wish to update
in finnish, if I have english version of Windows 2000 and english version of
Office 2003 etc...???

If my regional settings are such that I wish to have 24h clock, use local
time (Helsinki), use comma as decimal separator, and use finnish keyboard,
but that does not mean I wish to have the english version of my software
gradually becoming finnish... I could even have swedish as my native
language, not finnish, as both are valid languages here!

Just imagine if the Windows Update chooses to update Excel, and hence all
reserved words of macros and cell functions would change...

pekka
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 5:25:45 PM

Pekka Siiskonen wrote:

> I have always used english versions of operating system and applications, as
> there is no real help available from the manufacturer of the operating
> system applications. By using english versions I get warnings etc in english
> and can use this information to Google help to my problems.
>
> I use W2k (Sp4) and got a situation where the IE6 (Sp1...) wished to direct
> me into Microsoft Update pages.
>
> Suddenly I face text written in finnish. The Windows Update FAQ says (in
> finnish) that Microsoft Update will recognize the language settings of
> installed software autonmatically and shows the updates with languages set
> accordingly.
> (snip)
Hi,

In the Internet Explorer menu bar, select Tools\Internet Options...

Click on "Languages...".

Add "English (United States) [en-us]" to the list if necessary, and see
to it that it is at the top if you have several entries (or just remove
the other entries).

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
September 23, 2005 4:09:22 PM

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
news:o hbpZW1vFHA.2792@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> Search the system for any files named MFC42LOC.DLL (if found, rename
> to e.g. mfc42loc_ren.dll and reboot), be sure that "Search system
> folders", "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search subfolders"
> are all enabled.

Not found.

Finlandization still going strong?

pekka
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 4:09:23 PM

Pekka Siiskonen wrote:

> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> news:o hbpZW1vFHA.2792@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>

>>Search the system for any files named MFC42LOC.DLL (if found, rename
>>to e.g. mfc42loc_ren.dll and reboot), be sure that "Search system
>>folders", "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search subfolders"
>>are all enabled.
>

> Not found.
>
> Finlandization still going strong?

Sorry, I'm out of ideas...