Sign in with
Your question

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe / 3GB Ram Question

Last response: in Motherboards
January 12, 2007 7:44:00 AM

Hello all! I'm still sort of a new to all this, so I'm looking for some help. I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo. I currently have two 512mb sticks of Corsair ValueSelect DDR. I'm purchasing two sticks of 1gb G.Skill DDR.

What I want to know is, can I use all four sticks with this mobo for a total of 3gb of RAM? I seem to remember the A8N-SLI Deluxe having some issues when 4 sticks are placed into the mobo.

My second question is, if I am able to use all four sticks, will I be able to use them in dual channel?

Third, anything else I should know that I probably don't?

Thanks for any and all help.

Just in case, my current specs:

Lian-Li PC61
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 3700+ San Diego
eVGA 7800GT
1GB Corsair DDR
WD Carviar 300gb SATA 3.0gb/s
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi XtrememMusic
Samsung 17" 740N Monitor
January 12, 2007 10:35:00 PM

Nobody knows?
January 12, 2007 10:51:52 PM

No way to really gaurantee that the ram will all work together nicely. In general it is not a good idea to mix ram size/speeds, but you may get lucky and be able to use them all at the same time. Are they at least the same speed? If so, you may get lucky and be able to run them in dual channel.

As for the4 sticks, it is actually the memory controller on the CPU (not the motherboard) that is the problem.

Athlon64 cpus don't typically like 4 sticks of ram. There is a high chance that it will automatically underclock your ram to PC2700 speeds and bump you to a 2T setting.

Personally, I'd stay with 2Gb of ram at PC3200 1T settings. Since most applications wouldn't use more than 2Gb anyways, you'd be better off with fast 2Gb over slower 3Gb.
Related resources
January 12, 2007 11:01:30 PM

better to just use the 2 1gig sticks and not add the 2 512,s.

put them (the 2 512,s) in another computer if you have one?
or sell/save them for something else.

i run 4 512 sticks of ram in the same board.

but would rather have 2 1gig sticks.

though my 4 sticks work just fine.
January 12, 2007 11:42:19 PM

Unless you are running a specialized program that would benefit greatly from 3GBs of RAM I would stick with the twi 1GB sticks alone. SAve the 512's for troubleshooting or in case the Gskill fails down the road. If this rig is for gamig then absolutely do not run all 4 sticks. You will se no benefit in any game but you will see much RAM speeds if you do get to run.
January 13, 2007 12:06:31 AM

go here "http://www.asus.com/999/download/products/1439/1439_10...." all info on and what kind of ram you can use.....make sure to read the bottom of the chart... A..B...C

A* : Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration
B* : Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor the blue slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration
C* : Supports 4 modules inserted into both the blue and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration
Size Vendor Chip No. CL Chip Brand SS/DS Part No. DIMM socket support (Optional)
!