Sign in with
Your question

Opteron 170 OC

Last response: in Overclocking
January 12, 2007 7:50:04 AM

Hello world!
I've recently upgraded my system a tad, and would like to know what can be expected of it in terms of OC.

Firstly, the case is homemade, and not quite completed yet. There's as of yet no top and no exchausts in the rear. For clarification a drawing of it will be linked to this post.

System specs:
Opteron 170 (socket 939 2ghz)
Scythe ninja 1100P (purple) (link)
Asrock 939SLI (link)
Thermaltake Purepower 680W PSU (white) (link)
xfx 8800gtx (yellow) (link)
3x 120mm silverstone fans (red) pulling air in.
2x1gb kingston value pc3200
Lite-on pata dvd burner (blue)
36GB raptor system disk (cyan)
at present 3 ide drives stashed on top of the dvd drive (not on image)
3com 3c905tx 10/100mbit (not on image)

My plan for the immidiate future is to put a 80mm fan (silverstone) below the graphics card and build a duct so the 120mm from the ninja can pull air directly out. At present it's bouncing off the metal rear.

As you can see the ninja's fan is mounted on the 'wrong' side. This is due to space issues with the memory modules. Couldn't be done any other way. It's still pulling air from the front to the rear.

There's no top at present as it isn't built yet, but there'll be a closed top in the near future.

What kind of OC could I expect from this setup?
Currently it's semistable at 260fsb, but a few times it crashed. Not sure if it's an oblivion mod or the system that crashed, but the cpu gets to 51 degrees (according to mbm) ....

more later. gotta go now.

More about : opteron 170

January 12, 2007 8:12:30 AM

Quick update:
the 3 pata disks will be reduced to two, and mounted similar to the raptor (on the bottomplate standing on the side)

And the casing is based on the remains of a miditower cabinet, so the motherboard is mounted on the plate it usually is, so just imagine a miditower cabinet laid on the right side with a new front and left side.

The lan adapter is there because the motherboard being asrock, the lan controller failed after a week.

I'm using the onboard realtek audio, but I've got an audigy2 usb soundcard spare in case that'd help oc somehow.

The cpu is attached to the ninja with as5

questions? ask
January 12, 2007 9:40:28 AM

Quote:
Hello world!
I've recently upgraded my system a tad, and would like to know what can be expected of it in terms of OC.

Firstly, the case is homemade, and not quite completed yet. There's as of yet no top and no exchausts in the rear. For clarification a drawing of it will be linked to this post.

System specs:
Opteron 170 (socket 939 2ghz)
Scythe ninja 1100P (purple) (link)
Asrock 939SLI (link)
Thermaltake Purepower 680W PSU (white) (link)
xfx 8800gtx (yellow) (link)
3x 120mm silverstone fans (red) pulling air in.
2x1gb kingston value pc3200
Lite-on pata dvd burner (blue)
36GB raptor system disk (cyan)
at present 3 ide drives stashed on top of the dvd drive (not on image)
3com 3c905tx 10/100mbit (not on image)

My plan for the immidiate future is to put a 80mm fan (silverstone) below the graphics card and build a duct so the 120mm from the ninja can pull air directly out. At present it's bouncing off the metal rear.

As you can see the ninja's fan is mounted on the 'wrong' side. This is due to space issues with the memory modules. Couldn't be done any other way. It's still pulling air from the front to the rear.

There's no top at present as it isn't built yet, but there'll be a closed top in the near future.

What kind of OC could I expect from this setup?
Currently it's semistable at 260fsb, but a few times it crashed. Not sure if it's an oblivion mod or the system that crashed, but the cpu gets to 51 degrees (according to mbm) ....

more later. gotta go now.

With some decent RAM, you should see 3Ghz. With valueRAM....you can pretty much forget about it. You're probably near the limit now. You're gonna have to bring it way down with a divider(not worth it). GL :) 
Related resources
January 12, 2007 9:48:16 AM

Guess I forgot to mention that ... but I've set the bios to 133mhz ram (instead of 200), so they actually only running 173mhz instead of 200 - so the memory shouldn't be a hindering except for the obvious speed loss of slow memory (but I can live with that).

What kind of heat is the highest stable for an opteron (supposed to be an x2 4400 or so in disguise)

and what voltage should I run on the cpu ? The bios limits me to 1.4v max so I've probably already hit the ceiling for voltage, as it's already running that.

As a side note, the chipset's running 'high' voltage. With ultrahigh it wouldn't boot. pcie and pci are locked at default speeds, memory is getting 0.1v extra (always given them that).

With the old cpu and graphics (athlon 64 3500+ & 7900gt) the memory ran 220mhz successfully, so I don't really think the memory will be my limit. Especially if I underclock it to begin with.
January 13, 2007 9:15:52 AM

Nobody with Opteron experience around?
January 13, 2007 10:12:37 AM

I have an opteron 170. I think your overclock is going to be limited by your cpu voltage. If your bios limits you to 1.4v dont expect to get all that high, maybe 2.8ghz if you're lucky. My opteron needs 1.475v to get up to 2.8ghz but it does 2.7ghz at stock voltage. As far as temps try and keep it under 55C with both cores under full load. Personally I have gone to about 62C (high ambient temps here) without seeing any ill effects but each processor is different and its up to you if you feel comfortable going higher.
January 13, 2007 5:17:18 PM

After lowering the voltage it's stable at 2.7 as well. Running oblivion all day, and the only crash so far was when my brother killed a fuse with the oven downstairs ...
January 14, 2007 6:39:45 PM

This is wierd. The system runs reasonably well (not prime stable, but windows boots) at 270fsb, 10 multiplier, memory set to 133 and ht link at 600
then I tried lowering the multiplier to 9 and upping the fsb. At 290 it still boots, but at 295 it won't .... what is it that limits me? I tried setting the HT link to 400 but that didnt help. Since the memory's still underclocked, and the cpu was able to run 2.7 earlier, it should be able to boot at 2.6 with higher fsb?

not else is dependant on fsb besides the locked pci and pcie that I might've overlooked?
January 14, 2007 6:45:45 PM

Quote:
This is wierd. The system runs reasonably well (not prime stable, but windows boots) at 270fsb, 10 multiplier, memory set to 133 and ht link at 600
then I tried lowering the multiplier to 9 and upping the fsb. At 290 it still boots, but at 295 it won't .... what is it that limits me? I tried setting the HT link to 400 but that didnt help. Since the memory's still underclocked, and the cpu was able to run 2.7 earlier, it should be able to boot at 2.6 with higher fsb?

not else is dependant on fsb besides the locked pci and pcie that I might've overlooked?
290 is probably the chipsets limit.
January 14, 2007 7:17:33 PM

Quote:
Guess I forgot to mention that ... but I've set the bios to 133mhz ram (instead of 200), so they actually only running 173mhz instead of 200 - so the memory shouldn't be a hindering except for the obvious speed loss of slow memory (but I can live with that).

the value ram is a limiting factor in oc,ing.
you should get better results with better quality ram.

value ram from x-brand and quality ram from same x-brand
run the same speed. the quality ram is designed for
higher vlts and/or to be more stable.

usually with better quality chips.

also most have some type of heatspreader or other
passive cooling.
January 14, 2007 7:20:23 PM

I have the same stepping CCBBE 0615, but on a 165. The highest dual prime stable I've got is 290x9 @ 31c/49c. That was with a vcore at 1.375 (from 1.350), mem divider, HT was 800 something. This is with 2x512 of Kingston Value ddr400 and 2x256 of the Samsung ddr400 that came in my Compaq. Also using the stock 4-pipe HSF. Mobo is Biostar TForce 6100.

It sounds like I need to up the Vcore, right?

But it's probably not a good idea with the stock HSF and aging 300w/18a, factory Compaq PSU.
January 14, 2007 7:28:43 PM

the stock hsf for the x2,s an opty,s seem pretty good to me.
January 16, 2007 8:17:41 PM

Quote:

Is there something I don't understand, or why would my value memory be a limiting factor? they're underclocked after all .... it's not like the guy above who runs em at 255mhz ...
my system's prime stable with the setup I run now (9x290 & memory at 186) and the chipset seems to me to be the limiting factor... not memory or anything else.

Other than replace motherboard, would there be a way to move the chipset limit in my favor? ie more voltage, other bios settings or the like?

I'll be removing the extra pata disks and making that duct behind the cpu cooler as soon as I get the time for it... but if chipset's the problem I doubt it'll help.

Would it help adding active cooling on the chipset? (it's only got an aluminum grill, but it gets air from the lowest 120mm front intake, so it's better than in an ordinary casing
January 16, 2007 9:45:24 PM

Quote:

value ram from x-brand and quality ram from same x-brand
run the same speed. the quality ram is designed for
higher vlts and/or to be more stable.

usually with better quality chips.

also most have some type of heatspreader or other
passive cooling.

and yes the chipset can be a limiting factor too.
uping the voltage can help to stablize an oc also.
January 17, 2007 8:35:29 AM

I don't think that answered my questions ... does underclocked valueram limit overclocking of the processor or chipset? and is there a way to move the limit of the chipset from 290 to perhaps 300 ?
January 17, 2007 11:04:09 AM

Even underclocked value ram may limit overclocking due to the fact that some processors dont play well with memory dividers. Since the memory controller is actually on the processor each one will behave differently. As far as a limit of your chipset, is there anyway to increase the amount of voltage going to the chipset?
January 17, 2007 11:09:33 AM

There is a setting in the bios where I can choose auto, normal or high. But I've already selected high.
The odd thing is, that with 290 it runs perfect stable (dual prime stable), and with 291 it won't even load the bios properly.
Can it be due to excessive heat generation on the chip? It's passively cooled after all. Perhaps adding active cooling to it might solve it?

I was just kinda hoping thta enabling the flexibility option or some other bios feature I don't understand the function of would increase the headroom a bit.

I any event I ain't going to get better memory. Not wanting to spend 400$ on memory was my sole reason for sticking with amd instead of core 2 in the first place.
January 17, 2007 5:50:21 PM

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=157827

I've settled for the above for now.
It's run dual prime for an hour or so now, and it appears stable.
The positive thing about this setup is that 1) memory's operating at full capacity (changed to cl3 for stability) 2) with the lower fsb I can run chipset at 'normal' voltage, lowering heat levels.
January 17, 2007 11:25:53 PM

If your memory can run stable at that speed thats good :) 

Make sure its 3d stable aswell as prime. For me I can sometimes be stable in prime over 12+ hours and then it can instantly bomb in 3dmark05. Listening to what you have tried so far I'd say you are either at the limit of your motherboard, or the processor (with your limited voltage). I think in your situation buying new RAM is not the answer.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=148097
January 18, 2007 3:46:32 AM

Quote:
If your memory can run stable at that speed thats good :) 

Make sure its 3d stable aswell as prime. For me I can sometimes be stable in prime over 12+ hours and then it can instantly bomb in 3dmark05. Listening to what you have tried so far I'd say you are either at the limit of your motherboard, or the processor (with your limited voltage). I think in your situation buying new RAM is not the answer.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=148097

@ NeiroAtOpelCC: 12 hours-prime stable, is a minimum to be considered stable. I've seen machines error out after 24 hours. :o  Anyways, 1, 2, 4 hours isn't really enough to call it rock solid stable. Like Lackadaisical says, you might think it's stable, then a game, or 3D bench will crash it. GL :) 
January 18, 2007 5:14:03 AM

Well I don't know how stable it indeed is. I haven't had time to run a continuous test yet, but I'll do that as soon as possible.
But usually if prime doesn't find something within an hour, and if nothing crashes oblivion reasonably stable.

If I'd expect a stability level where the system could be running 24/7 for a year, then I wouldn't have oc'ed.

Most likely if prime would detect an error after 8 hours, then I wouldn't do anything about it anyway.

Anyhow as for processor - it was able to do a 3dmark at 2.85 but it wasn't stable there. So I think the chipset's the limit.

Question: Stuff like the onboard sound and other features - would they limit OC ? would disabling these have any positive impact?
I've already disabled the onboard lan as the lan chip ceased operating after a week (at default speeds).
January 18, 2007 5:18:33 AM

Quote:
Well I don't know how stable it indeed is. I haven't had time to run a continuous test yet, but I'll do that as soon as possible.
But usually if prime doesn't find something within an hour, and if nothing crashes oblivion reasonably stable.

If I'd expect a stability level where the system could be running 24/7 for a year, then I wouldn't have oc'ed.

Most likely if prime would detect an error after 8 hours, then I wouldn't do anything about it anyway.

Anyhow as for processor - it was able to do a 3dmark at 2.85 but it wasn't stable there. So I think the chipset's the limit.

Question: Stuff like the onboard sound and other features - would they limit OC ? would disabling these have any positive impact?
I've already disabled the onboard lan as the lan chip ceased operating after a week (at default speeds).
I honestly don't think you're going to get any more out of it. Also, Super Pi 32M can be a good stability test too. GL :) 
January 18, 2007 5:41:04 AM

I remember downloading that program once .... not something I'd bother with again .... prime and 3dmark at once is most likely the better choice. At least it's the choice that I know how to make work.
!