Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Maxtor One Touch external drive?

Last response: in Storage
January 12, 2007 7:55:15 AM

Hello,

I already posted at HDDGURU but because my problem is a bit tricky I put it here also to try to have the wider audience as possible. I will keep this thread updated with any information that could help.

I have since a couple of years a 200GB Maxtor One Touch external drive. This drive is actually a Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB ATA133 HDD mounted in a box which have an IDE to USB2 and an IDE to Firewire interface.

I was wondering about upgrading the external drive with a new HDD and then I bought a 400GB Samsung HD400LD ATA133 HDD. When plugged directly to the system, the Samsung is recognized by both my BIOS (Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev2.0 motherboard) and my OS (Windows XP SP2) with it's full 400GB capacity.

The problem was that when I plugged the Samsung in the external Maxtor box in place of the old 200GB HDD, my system recognized 136GB only out of the Samsung. And now when I plug back the Samsung directly in the system, it does show 136GB only.

The HUTIL202 tool provided by Samsung (or the hacked one provided by HDDGURU) shows that the native size of the Samsung drive is indeed 400GB, but it's effective size is 136GB. I tried to put the drive back to an effective size of 400GB but I failed.

So I have two questions:

1) How can I put the drive effective size back to it's full 400BG size?

2) Is there a way to prevent the Samsung to automatically switch from 400GB to 136GB when I put it in the Maxtor external box? (I recall here that the original HDD of this box was a 200GB drive, whose capacity is > 136GB).

Any help greatly appreciated.
January 12, 2007 10:54:07 AM

why not just pick up another external enclosure (they are really friggin cheap) and now you will have a 200GB and 400GB external for your system?

most likely the controller in the enclosure is incompatible with the larger size and brand of the new hard drive.
January 12, 2007 11:01:58 AM

Right, it is exactly what I told to myself this morning...

So yes, we get rid of the second question, but the first one remains: how do I get my 400GB back when the HUTIL program provided by Samsung fails? Is there a general drive utility (preferably free) that can do the job?

Thx a lot.
Related resources
January 12, 2007 11:48:41 AM

usually when a large drive shows up as 136GB it is usually because the disk has been partitioned and reformatted incorrectly. This often happens when a drive has been partitioned for a FAT32 file system instead of an NTFS file system.

you will want to get a new enclosure designed for high capacity drives and mount the drive in the new enclosure. Then delete all partitions on the drive and setup a new partition. Then format the drive over again.

what OS are you using? If it is windows the formatting tool can be accessed in the "control panel" under "administrative tools" then "computer management".

you should be able to see the drive and setup the partition and do all formatting from there.
January 12, 2007 12:11:47 PM

Quote:
usually when a large drive shows up as 136GB it is usually because the disk has been partitioned and reformatted incorrectly. This often happens when a drive has been partitioned for a FAT32 file system instead of an NTFS file system.

Yes I know this but it's not this story. As noted in my original post, the 400GB drive and his 400GB partition turned automatically to 136GB drive without partition when I put it in the Matrox container. The problem is that it did not come back to 400GB when I pluged it back directly (not with the Matrox box) to my system. Now both the BIOS and the OS see the drive as a 136GB one whatever the partition I put on.

Quote:

you will want to get a new enclosure designed for high capacity drives and mount the drive in the new enclosure. Then delete all partitions on the drive and setup a new partition. Then format the drive over again.

what OS are you using? If it is windows the formatting tool can be accessed in the "control panel" under "administrative tools" then "computer management".

As stated in my original post my OS is Windows XP SP2 and now it only see a 136GB drive, even in the administration tools, even if I delete all partitions and recreate one. Actually the drive is a 400GB one but is tagged as a 136GB one. I should be able to get it back tagged to 400GB with an utility but I don't know which (the HUTIL utility provided by Samsung was supposed to do it but it fails because it is highly bugged imo - I have some evidence to think that but it is another story).
January 12, 2007 12:12:46 PM

Quote:

Yes I know this but it's not this story. As noted in my original post, the 400GB drive and his 400GB partition (previously tested directly connected in my system) turned automatically to 136GB drive without partition when I've put it in the Matrox container. The problem is that it did not come back to 400GB when I pluged it back directly (not with the Matrox container) to my system. Now both the BIOS and the OS see the drive as a 136GB one whatever the partition I put on.

Quote:

As stated in my original post my OS is Windows XP SP2 and now it only see a 136GB drive, even in the administration tools, even if I delete all partitions and recreate one. Actually the drive is a 400GB one but is tagged as a 136GB one. I should be able to get it back tagged to 400GB with an utility but I don't know which (the HUTIL utility provided by Samsung was supposed to do it but it fails because it is highly bugged imo - I have some evidence to think that but it is another story).
January 12, 2007 1:03:29 PM

Is the drive under warranty? Is there a possibility of you returning it for another hard drive?

Would be the simplest thing to check first.
January 12, 2007 3:13:27 PM

Yes it is brand new but I wanted to try by myself before getting rid of it. Actually I succeeded with the HUTIL program. After the 5th loading of the program it succeeded to tag my drive with it's full size and then everything went fine after.

Thank you very much for the care and the help. Was much appreciated.
!