Need a good overclocking motherboard

toranfive

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Hey was was looking to overclock a core 2 and i was just wondering which one you guys would recommend? An MSI P965 Platinum or an Intel 975XBX2KR? I mean its just cause i can get a better price for one of these otherwise i would just go with GIGABYTE 965P-DQ6. What do you think?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Here are my 2 cents with OCing...If you really don't know what parts you need to do it (or how to do it), maybe you shouldn't screw with it. I understand that everyone should try to figure out and learn, but try things on your own and see what you like. Not every board has the same BIOS settings (although most are fairly similar in functionality) and you may not get the same options with one piece of hardware to the next; or have it work the way you want. You want to start learning, great...do some research on HOW to do WHAT to your system, find yourself a board that has good review ratings and fool around with it. If you screw up, usually the worst thing that happens is you lock up your system and have to start over. If you can't afford to replace your $150 board if you burn it up, maybe you should consider running at stock anyway.

I have the MSI P965 Platinum and it is an allright board.
A bit limited for overclocking, though.
The fastest you can push your fsb is ~370MHz.

I would go with the Asus P5B Delux as it is a verry good overclocker.

From what I hear, Intel boards do not overclock well, so I would stay away from the 975XBX2KR.

The Gigabyte mb is a decent board to, but it will probably max out about the same as the Msi one.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Hey was was looking to overclock a core 2 and i was just wondering which one you guys would recommend? An MSI P965 Platinum or an Intel 975XBX2KR? I mean its just cause i can get a better price for one of these otherwise i would just go with GIGABYTE 965P-DQ6. What do you think?
Go with a P5B-E or a P5B Deluxe. They hit very hit FSB speeds. If you have a high multipler CPU (6600 or above) go for a 975x Abit board.

toranfive

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Here are my 2 cents with OCing...If you really don't know what parts you need to do it (or how to do it), maybe you shouldn't screw with it. I understand that everyone should try to figure out and learn, but try things on your own and see what you like. Not every board has the same BIOS settings (although most are fairly similar in functionality) and you may not get the same options with one piece of hardware to the next; or have it work the way you want. You want to start learning, great...do some research on HOW to do WHAT to your system, find yourself a board that has good review ratings and fool around with it. If you screw up, usually the worst thing that happens is you lock up your system and have to start over. If you can't afford to replace your $150 board if you burn it up, maybe you should consider running at stock anyway.

Ya you dont really need to worry i've done this before but i just wanted to know what mothers you guys would recommend. Cost really isnt a factor cause i get the parts pretty cheap anyways. The only thing i was wondering is if that asus board supports quadcores?

Windfish

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I've got the FSB up to 480mhz on my Gigabyte P65 DS3. I think I paid under £100 for it in the summer, so you should be able to get a really good deal on one now, probably under £80. I don't know if you've thought much about RAM either, but my Corsair XMS2 667mhz memory has reached 960mhz when I clocked my E6300 up to 3.36 mhz, an 80% overclock on the cpu, and 43% on the memory. I reckon the overclock would go further if I had some faster RAM, I have heard of the board reaching 500mhz FSB, and I've only increased the voltage on the CPU and the RAM, not on the chipset.
Here's a screenshot click.

london_prophet

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Overclocking results for the Intel D975XBX2 seem very good. I thought the whole point was it was the first Intel board with a decent overclock

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Overclocking results for the Intel D975XBX2 seem very good. I thought the whole point was it was the first Intel board with a decent overclock
Yeah, some of the 975x chipsets have been trouble with the E4300 it seems...DFI Infinity, according to xbitlabs, didn't want to load it.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
according to Gary Key at Anandtech the abit AB9 QuadGT is the fastest 965 so far clock for clock. That's because it will do over 500fsb without switching to the 1333 strap like the P5B etc.
ewiz has it for $185 I believe.

toranfive

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Ya well thanks a lot guys i decided to go with the Gigabyte P65 DS3. I mean it looked like a solid board plus i ended up getting it for $100 Canadian so i thought that was pretty good.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Surprisingly the giga-byte board is a pretty decent overclocker from what I've read and heard.If you look at toms reviews for mb that oc well,the giga-byte is in the top 3 that are recommended.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE (soon 2b crucial balistix ddr500)
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

TRENDING THREADS