system nearly absolutely frozen

My system is very nearly entirely frozen. In task manager -> process tab,
the "System" process is utilizing 99% of resources (System!, NOT the usual
System Idle Process) and hung there.

Rebooting even in safe mode does not change the situation. The reboots are
taking four or five times normal. I believe it may be the power supply.
This is my second power supply. Is there a way to know or test for certain
which major problem could be causing this, i.e. Power Supply or old main hard
drive (original c drive)?

It is difficult to run anything on the system. The lag time per click is in
minutes. However I do have a home network, so I can use the resources of my
similar second machine to access the machine in question.

Any insight in addition to buying a new machine? :)

Environment:
Windows 2000, SP4, running on
Dell Dimension XPS T550
Norton Antivirus corporate edition, with up-to-date virus definitions,
tested monthly.
latest Adaware personal edition and spybot search and destroy are run monthly
Added a 120GB hard drive about two years ago.

Check Event Viewer for errors.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"bloozman" wrote:
| My system is very nearly entirely frozen. In task manager -> process tab,
| the "System" process is utilizing 99% of resources (System!, NOT the usual
| System Idle Process) and hung there.
|
| Rebooting even in safe mode does not change the situation. The reboots
are
| taking four or five times normal. I believe it may be the power supply.
| This is my second power supply. Is there a way to know or test for
certain
| which major problem could be causing this, i.e. Power Supply or old main
hard
| drive (original c drive)?
|
| It is difficult to run anything on the system. The lag time per click is
in
| minutes. However I do have a home network, so I can use the resources of
my
| similar second machine to access the machine in question.
|
| Any insight in addition to buying a new machine? :)
|
| Environment:
| Windows 2000, SP4, running on
| Dell Dimension XPS T550
| Norton Antivirus corporate edition, with up-to-date virus definitions,
| tested monthly.
| latest Adaware personal edition and spybot search and destroy are run
monthly
| Added a 120GB hard drive about two years ago.

Interestingly, Event Viewer has zero events for System Log, Application Log,
and Security Log. Even my other working machine has lots of little error
messages in its System Log. The machine in trouble has zero events.

What does that tell us?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Check Event Viewer for errors.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "bloozman" wrote:
> | My system is very nearly entirely frozen. In task manager -> process tab,
> | the "System" process is utilizing 99% of resources (System!, NOT the usual
> | System Idle Process) and hung there.
> |
> | Rebooting even in safe mode does not change the situation. The reboots
> are
> | taking four or five times normal. I believe it may be the power supply.
> | This is my second power supply. Is there a way to know or test for
> certain
> | which major problem could be causing this, i.e. Power Supply or old main
> hard
> | drive (original c drive)?
> |
> | It is difficult to run anything on the system. The lag time per click is
> in
> | minutes. However I do have a home network, so I can use the resources of
> my
> | similar second machine to access the machine in question.
> |
> | Any insight in addition to buying a new machine? :)
> |
> | Environment:
> | Windows 2000, SP4, running on
> | Dell Dimension XPS T550
> | Norton Antivirus corporate edition, with up-to-date virus definitions,
> | tested monthly.
> | latest Adaware personal edition and spybot search and destroy are run
> monthly
> | Added a 120GB hard drive about two years ago.

The files are probably corrupt. The temporary fix;
You might try changing the file properties to "Overwrite as needed"

Then; Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Services|Event Log Service|General,
set the "Startup Type:" to "Disabled" restart the pc, then delete (or move)
the corrupt *.evt file(s) from %windir%\system32\config then set the Event
Log Service "Startup Type:" back to "Automatic", restart for effect.

The more permanent fix;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829246&Product=win2000

--

"bloozman" wrote:
| Interestingly, Event Viewer has zero events for System Log, Application
Log,
| and Security Log. Even my other working machine has lots of little error
| messages in its System Log. The machine in trouble has zero events.
|
| What does that tell us?

I am sorry Mr. PatricK, I don't know which file properties you are referring
to, to set to "Overwrite as needed? Where? Do you mean all of the system
files? Nothing in Event Viewer allowed such a change, right-clicking or
otherwise. Of course, there were no error files in there to alter the
properties of.

I am attempting the rest of the temporary fix. I was able to set the
"Startup Type:" to "Disabled". Oddly, the machine upon my return seemed a bit
more responsive at first -- at least prior to the current reboot in process.
Now it seems back to the slow motion mode.

I also checked the link you left for the more permanent fix. There was no
downloadable executable hotfix attached. the main point of the page
indicated to call Microsoft via phone. Are you really asking me to call
Microsoft and ask for someon to send me the hotfix? It has been my
experience that no one at Microsoft ever returns a phone call from a
consumer. Experts like you in the forum are our only hope.

There were a few links to "articles" for additional information which led to
more links to "articles" for additional information essentially regarding new
file naming schema for Windows Software Update Packages.

Is there a link directly to a downloadable hotfix executable, a patch or
service pack update of some kind that would fix the corrupt Event Viewer Logs?

I very much appreciate your assistance.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> The files are probably corrupt. The temporary fix;
> You might try changing the file properties to "Overwrite as needed"
>
> Then; Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Services|Event Log Service|General,
> set the "Startup Type:" to "Disabled" restart the pc, then delete (or move)
> the corrupt *.evt file(s) from %windir%\system32\config then set the Event
> Log Service "Startup Type:" back to "Automatic", restart for effect.
>
> The more permanent fix;
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829246&Product=win2000
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "bloozman" wrote:
> | Interestingly, Event Viewer has zero events for System Log, Application
> Log,
> | and Security Log. Even my other working machine has lots of little error
> | messages in its System Log. The machine in trouble has zero events.
> |
> | What does that tell us?

It's best to not do anything unless you're absolutely sure you understand
the issues or procedures at hand. You might want to print this thread and
get someone to help you with it. You need to get Event Viewer working again
before you can trouble shoot your system further.

--

"bloozman" wrote:
|I am sorry Mr. PatricK, I don't know which file properties you are
referring
| to, to set to "Overwrite as needed? Where? Do you mean all of the system
| files? Nothing in Event Viewer allowed such a change, right-clicking or
| otherwise. Of course, there were no error files in there to alter the
| properties of.
|
| I am attempting the rest of the temporary fix. I was able to set the
| "Startup Type:" to "Disabled". Oddly, the machine upon my return seemed a
bit
| more responsive at first -- at least prior to the current reboot in
process.
| Now it seems back to the slow motion mode.
|
| I also checked the link you left for the more permanent fix. There was no
| downloadable executable hotfix attached. the main point of the page
| indicated to call Microsoft via phone. Are you really asking me to call
| Microsoft and ask for someon to send me the hotfix? It has been my
| experience that no one at Microsoft ever returns a phone call from a
| consumer. Experts like you in the forum are our only hope.
|
| There were a few links to "articles" for additional information which led
| more links to "articles" for additional information essentially regarding
new
| file naming schema for Windows Software Update Packages.
|
| Is there a link directly to a downloadable hotfix executable, a patch or
| service pack update of some kind that would fix the corrupt Event Viewer
Logs?

| I very much appreciate your assistance.

No worries. I have been in tougher spots than this at times and found my way
out just fine. Did you simply mean the .evt files? I just needed to know
which files you want me to set to overwrite as needed via properties.

As far as the more permanent hotfix. You may want to look at that link you
forwarded.