run tightVNC after booting?

I have a win2k server on which I wish to have tightVNC start at system
startup, without anyone logging in locally, and access the login screen from
a remote computer.

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html offers no solution.

Creating the registry entry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run doesn't
seem to allow the remote connection, although when a local login starts the
tightvnc.exe, it reports that another tightvnc.exe is already running, and
the remote user can then access the tightvnc.

How do I make it so that when the machine is rebooted, remote vncviewer.exe
connections can access the login screen, please?
3 answers Last reply
More about tightvnc booting

    "Alan Connor" <ac@privacy.nil.uk> wrote in message

    > I have a win2k server ...

    A win2k professional, rather.

    "Alan Connor" <ac@privacy.nil.uk> wrote in message
    > I have a win2k server on which I wish to have tightVNC start at system
    > startup, without anyone logging in locally, and access the login screen
    from
    > a remote computer.
    >
    > http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html offers no solution.
    >
    > Creating the registry entry in
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run doesn't
    > seem to allow the remote connection, although when a local login starts
    the
    > tightvnc.exe, it reports that another tightvnc.exe is already running, and
    > the remote user can then access the tightvnc.
    >
    > How do I make it so that when the machine is rebooted, remote
    vncviewer.exe
    > connections can access the login screen, please?

    You need to install the product as a service. The syntax for WinVNC is
    below - I expect it to be much the same for TightVNC.

    winvnc -install

    If you're running Win2000 Server then I recommend you use Remote
    Desktop instead of TightVNC. If you're running Win2000 Professional
    as per your subsequent clarification then you're tied to TightVNC.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    >> How do I make it so that when the machine is rebooted, remote
    >> vncviewer.exe connections can access the login screen, please?
    >
    > You need to install the product as a service. The syntax for WinVNC is
    > below - I expect it to be much the same for TightVNC.
    >
    > winvnc -install

    Works perfectly, thank you.

Login Microsoft Windows