run tightVNC after booting?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 21, 2005 9:50:42 PM

I have a win2k server on which I wish to have tightVNC start at system
startup, without anyone logging in locally, and access the login screen from
a remote computer.

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html offers no solution.

Creating the registry entry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run doesn't
seem to allow the remote connection, although when a local login starts the
tightvnc.exe, it reports that another tightvnc.exe is already running, and
the remote user can then access the tightvnc.

How do I make it so that when the machine is rebooted, remote vncviewer.exe
connections can access the login screen, please?

More about : run tightvnc booting

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 9:53:26 PM

"Alan Connor" <ac@privacy.nil.uk> wrote in message

> I have a win2k server ...

A win2k professional, rather.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 3:18:50 PM

"Alan Connor" <ac@privacy.nil.uk> wrote in message
> I have a win2k server on which I wish to have tightVNC start at system
> startup, without anyone logging in locally, and access the login screen
from
> a remote computer.
>
> http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html offers no solution.
>
> Creating the registry entry in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run doesn't
> seem to allow the remote connection, although when a local login starts
the
> tightvnc.exe, it reports that another tightvnc.exe is already running, and
> the remote user can then access the tightvnc.
>
> How do I make it so that when the machine is rebooted, remote
vncviewer.exe
> connections can access the login screen, please?

You need to install the product as a service. The syntax for WinVNC is
below - I expect it to be much the same for TightVNC.

winvnc -install

If you're running Win2000 Server then I recommend you use Remote
Desktop instead of TightVNC. If you're running Win2000 Professional
as per your subsequent clarification then you're tied to TightVNC.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 3:18:51 PM

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

>> How do I make it so that when the machine is rebooted, remote
>> vncviewer.exe connections can access the login screen, please?
>
> You need to install the product as a service. The syntax for WinVNC is
> below - I expect it to be much the same for TightVNC.
>
> winvnc -install

Works perfectly, thank you.