Scheduled tasks hang while running

I have this weird problem on Win 2000 Pro. Some of the scheduled tasks
start at the scheduled time, but they never finish - running for hours.
Some....not all - I can detect no difference in the scheduled job
setup between tasks that work and those that don't. They show up on the
scheduled tasks window as running, but they never display on screen.
They never give any error messages, they just seem to be stuck. All the
tasks (working or not) are setup to run as Administrator. The programs
run normally if executed from the START menu, but not if run from the
scheduler window.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot or fix this?

Kudzuken
2 answers Last reply
More about scheduled tasks hang running

    Scheduled Tasks|Advanced|View Log may provide some details. If the job
    connects to another machine you may need to add the user/ group 'logon as
    batch job' rights (server side). Control Panel|Admin Tools|Local Security
    Policy\Local Policies\User Rights Assignments
    "Log on as a batch job"

    Remember that if it involves network resources to make sure the user account
    has permissions to the resources and also use UNC paths as mapped drives
    won't exist when no one is logged on.

    This article may help.

    Result Codes in Scheduled Tasks Indicate an Error Occurred in the Task
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q267031

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "kgstrong" <kgstrong@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have this weird problem on Win 2000 Pro. Some of the scheduled tasks
    > start at the scheduled time, but they never finish - running for hours.
    > Some....not all - I can detect no difference in the scheduled job
    > setup between tasks that work and those that don't. They show up on the
    > scheduled tasks window as running, but they never display on screen.
    > They never give any error messages, they just seem to be stuck. All the
    > tasks (working or not) are setup to run as Administrator. The programs
    > run normally if executed from the START menu, but not if run from the
    > scheduler window.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot or fix this?
    >
    > Kudzuken

    Further to Dave's suggestions: Invoke the following batch file
    with your task embedded in it:

    @echo off
    echo %date% %time% Start of task > c:\test.log
    echo User=%UserName%, Path=%path% >> c:\test.log
    c:\Tools\YourTask.exe 1>>c:\test.log 2>c:\test.err
    echo ErrorLevel of c:\Tools\YourTask.exe=%ErrorLevel% >> c:\test.log
    echo %date% %time% End of task >> c:\test.log

    Now examine the two log files. They should tell you plenty.

Microsoft Windows