Extra User Folders/Profiles

W2K SP4 Server machine named "W2KS1". In Documents and Settings I
have serveral "administrator" folders. The one that is in use when
logged in as Administrator is "Administrator.SRVR1". One of the user
folders is named "Administrator". I would like to have the
"Administrator" folder be the one in use when logged in as
Administrator. How can I go about making this change and deleting the
other, apparently unused, "administrator" user folders. Tnx es 73!
--
Bob Felton
7 answers Last reply

    This is normal and expected behavior. On a newly-joined-to-the-domain PC if
    you logon to the pc first, then to the domain you would end up with two
    profiles.
    %username%
    and
    %username%.%userdomain%
    Else if you logon to the domain first, then to the pc you would end up with
    %username%
    and
    %username%.%computername%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Bob Felton" wrote:
    | W2K SP4 Server machine named "W2KS1". In Documents and Settings I
    | have serveral "administrator" folders. The one that is in use when
    | logged in as Administrator is "Administrator.SRVR1". One of the user
    | folders is named "Administrator". I would like to have the
    | "Administrator" folder be the one in use when logged in as
    | Administrator. How can I go about making this change and deleting the
    | other, apparently unused, "administrator" user folders. Tnx es 73!
    | --
    | Bob Felton

    Thanks for the response, David. I guess I was a little unclear. This
    is a domain controller server machine (Windows 2000 Server SP4). Only
    two users log on to it and both login to the domain. The two users
    are Administrator and Backup. I would like to get rid of the
    seemingly unused "administrator" folders and get Administrator to use
    the "Administrator" folder instead of the "Administrator.SRVR1"
    folder. Can this be done? Tnx!

    --
    Bob Felton

    You'll need to logon as another user with administrative right, then delete
    the profiles. Control Panel|System|Advanced|User Profiles Then when the
    users next logon a new profile will be create from an image in \default user

    (IMO this really isn't worth worrying about)

    --

    "Bob Felton" wrote:
    | Thanks for the response, David. I guess I was a little unclear. This
    | is a domain controller server machine (Windows 2000 Server SP4). Only
    | two users log on to it and both login to the domain. The two users
    | are Administrator and Backup. I would like to get rid of the
    | seemingly unused "administrator" folders and get Administrator to use
    | the "Administrator" folder instead of the "Administrator.SRVR1"
    | folder. Can this be done? Tnx!

    OK, David. Thanks for the info on how to correct and your feeling on
    the matter. I just like to have things "clean".

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:38:19 -0600, "Dave Patrick"
    <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote:

    >You'll need to logon as another user with administrative right, then delete
    >the profiles. Control Panel|System|Advanced|User Profiles Then when the
    >users next logon a new profile will be create from an image in \default user
    >
    >(IMO this really isn't worth worrying about)

    --
    Bob Felton

    You're welcome.

    --

    "Bob Felton" wrote:
    | OK, David. Thanks for the info on how to correct and your feeling on
    | the matter. I just like to have things "clean".

    If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to remove the domain
    administrator profile from the computer, leaving only the local administrator
    profile (or vice versa)

    IMO, I recommend you leave them both there. The domain admin profile
    (%username%.%userdomain%) will be recreated anytime you login using the
    administrator account with Logon To: set to your domain. To avoid this, do
    not logon to the domain. However, logging on locally may prevent you from
    managing your domain.

    I highly recommend against deleting the local administrator profile as this
    can prevent you from logging on to the machine with admin rights if the
    domain is not available (I know its the DC) and can be essential when
    troubleshooting local machine problems.

    "Bob Felton" wrote:

    > Thanks for the response, David. I guess I was a little unclear. This
    > is a domain controller server machine (Windows 2000 Server SP4). Only
    > two users log on to it and both login to the domain. The two users
    > are Administrator and Backup. I would like to get rid of the
    > seemingly unused "administrator" folders and get Administrator to use
    > the "Administrator" folder instead of the "Administrator.SRVR1"
    > folder. Can this be done? Tnx!
    >

    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:08:05 -0600, "Dave Patrick"
    > <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >This is normal and expected behavior. On a newly-joined-to-the-domain PC if
    > >you logon to the pc first, then to the domain you would end up with two
    > >profiles.
    > >%username%
    > >and
    > >%username%.%userdomain%
    > >Else if you logon to the domain first, then to the pc you would end up with
    > >%username%
    > >and
    > >%username%.%computername%
    >
    > --
    > Bob Felton

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    FYI; There are no local accounts on a domain controller.

    --

    "Wes" wrote:
    | If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to remove the domain
    | administrator profile from the computer, leaving only the local
    administrator
    | profile (or vice versa)
    |
    | IMO, I recommend you leave them both there. The domain admin profile
    | (%username%.%userdomain%) will be recreated anytime you login using the
    | administrator account with Logon To: set to your domain. To avoid this,
    do
    | not logon to the domain. However, logging on locally may prevent you from
    | managing your domain.
    |
    | I highly recommend against deleting the local administrator profile as
    this
    | can prevent you from logging on to the machine with admin rights if the
    | domain is not available (I know its the DC) and can be essential when
    | troubleshooting local machine problems.

Microsoft Servers Windows