Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Extra User Folders/Profiles

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 12:37:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

W2K SP4 Server machine named "W2KS1". In Documents and Settings I
have serveral "administrator" folders. The one that is in use when
logged in as Administrator is "Administrator.SRVR1". One of the user
folders is named "Administrator". I would like to have the
"Administrator" folder be the one in use when logged in as
Administrator. How can I go about making this change and deleting the
other, apparently unused, "administrator" user folders. Tnx es 73!
--
Bob Felton
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 2:08:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

This is normal and expected behavior. On a newly-joined-to-the-domain PC if
you logon to the pc first, then to the domain you would end up with two
profiles.
%username%
and
%username%.%userdomain%
Else if you logon to the domain first, then to the pc you would end up with
%username%
and
%username%.%computername%

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bob Felton" wrote:
| W2K SP4 Server machine named "W2KS1". In Documents and Settings I
| have serveral "administrator" folders. The one that is in use when
| logged in as Administrator is "Administrator.SRVR1". One of the user
| folders is named "Administrator". I would like to have the
| "Administrator" folder be the one in use when logged in as
| Administrator. How can I go about making this change and deleting the
| other, apparently unused, "administrator" user folders. Tnx es 73!
| --
| Bob Felton
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 2:49:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Thanks for the response, David. I guess I was a little unclear. This
is a domain controller server machine (Windows 2000 Server SP4). Only
two users log on to it and both login to the domain. The two users
are Administrator and Backup. I would like to get rid of the
seemingly unused "administrator" folders and get Administrator to use
the "Administrator" folder instead of the "Administrator.SRVR1"
folder. Can this be done? Tnx!



On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:08:05 -0600, "Dave Patrick"
<DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote:

>This is normal and expected behavior. On a newly-joined-to-the-domain PC if
>you logon to the pc first, then to the domain you would end up with two
>profiles.
>%username%
>and
>%username%.%userdomain%
>Else if you logon to the domain first, then to the pc you would end up with
>%username%
>and
>%username%.%computername%

--
Bob Felton
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 11:38:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

You'll need to logon as another user with administrative right, then delete
the profiles. Control Panel|System|Advanced|User Profiles Then when the
users next logon a new profile will be create from an image in \default user

(IMO this really isn't worth worrying about)

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bob Felton" wrote:
| Thanks for the response, David. I guess I was a little unclear. This
| is a domain controller server machine (Windows 2000 Server SP4). Only
| two users log on to it and both login to the domain. The two users
| are Administrator and Backup. I would like to get rid of the
| seemingly unused "administrator" folders and get Administrator to use
| the "Administrator" folder instead of the "Administrator.SRVR1"
| folder. Can this be done? Tnx!
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 12:28:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

OK, David. Thanks for the info on how to correct and your feeling on
the matter. I just like to have things "clean".


On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:38:19 -0600, "Dave Patrick"
<DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote:

>You'll need to logon as another user with administrative right, then delete
>the profiles. Control Panel|System|Advanced|User Profiles Then when the
>users next logon a new profile will be create from an image in \default user
>
>(IMO this really isn't worth worrying about)

--
Bob Felton
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 2:25:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

You're welcome.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bob Felton" wrote:
| OK, David. Thanks for the info on how to correct and your feeling on
| the matter. I just like to have things "clean".
September 22, 2005 5:22:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to remove the domain
administrator profile from the computer, leaving only the local administrator
profile (or vice versa)

IMO, I recommend you leave them both there. The domain admin profile
(%username%.%userdomain%) will be recreated anytime you login using the
administrator account with Logon To: set to your domain. To avoid this, do
not logon to the domain. However, logging on locally may prevent you from
managing your domain.

I highly recommend against deleting the local administrator profile as this
can prevent you from logging on to the machine with admin rights if the
domain is not available (I know its the DC) and can be essential when
troubleshooting local machine problems.

"Bob Felton" wrote:

> Thanks for the response, David. I guess I was a little unclear. This
> is a domain controller server machine (Windows 2000 Server SP4). Only
> two users log on to it and both login to the domain. The two users
> are Administrator and Backup. I would like to get rid of the
> seemingly unused "administrator" folders and get Administrator to use
> the "Administrator" folder instead of the "Administrator.SRVR1"
> folder. Can this be done? Tnx!
>
>
>
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:08:05 -0600, "Dave Patrick"
> <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >This is normal and expected behavior. On a newly-joined-to-the-domain PC if
> >you logon to the pc first, then to the domain you would end up with two
> >profiles.
> >%username%
> >and
> >%username%.%userdomain%
> >Else if you logon to the domain first, then to the pc you would end up with
> >%username%
> >and
> >%username%.%computername%
>
> --
> Bob Felton
>
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 8:05:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

FYI; There are no local accounts on a domain controller.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Wes" wrote:
| If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to remove the domain
| administrator profile from the computer, leaving only the local
administrator
| profile (or vice versa)
|
| IMO, I recommend you leave them both there. The domain admin profile
| (%username%.%userdomain%) will be recreated anytime you login using the
| administrator account with Logon To: set to your domain. To avoid this,
do
| not logon to the domain. However, logging on locally may prevent you from
| managing your domain.
|
| I highly recommend against deleting the local administrator profile as
this
| can prevent you from logging on to the machine with admin rights if the
| domain is not available (I know its the DC) and can be essential when
| troubleshooting local machine problems.
!