Weird crashes my new system

zappy2x2

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
These are the specs of a system I just built:

ASUS M2N-E ATX AM2 Nforce 570 Ultra

OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Windsor 2.2GHZ 2X512KB 89W 90NM

BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 500MHZ 640MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card

250 Gb Maxtor 7,200RPM IDE HDD

Pioneer DVR-111D CD-RW/DVD-RW Combo

450W PSU Stock with the case, 12V1 = 14A 12V2 = 16A

I have no clue what the problem is, but windows installs and the computer seems to work fine when i'm just surfing and such, but as soon as i launch a game, or even one of Nvidia's demos I receive the unexpected quit error from Windows, and then from there the system just becomes highly unstable, programs start quitting, other programs wont open, RunDLL and weird things like Windows Login UI even crash... but then as soon as i restart the computer it is fine untill I once again launch one of those progys .. im lost.

HELP?!

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
when you launch a game, check task manager to see what other processes and applications you are running in the background - they may be clogging things up :)

Secondly, run adware and spyware and any other scans you can. A gremlin there can come to life during playing games.

Good Luck :D

deluxeone

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
If reinstalling your Video card drivers doesn't work, you may need to check that your power supply is giving you enough power for the 8800, I had a similar problem when trying to run 3D mark 06 with my old 450 watt enermax psu. When I changed my psu to a 600 watt Gamestream the problem was solved.

Good luck

WizardOZ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Your RAM may be FUBAR. Get a copy of MEMTest386 and check it out. MEMTest is freeware. Start with both sticks in place, and then pull out one, test the other and then flip sticks and check the second one. Make sure you run the entire set of tests at least once. I have seen cases where a problem with the RAM didn't show up until near the end of the last test.

The programme needs to be watched while it is doing its thging, so make sure you have a coffee with you.

If your RAM checks out OK, look at the video card drivers, then check for spyware.

Hope this helps.

zappy2x2

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
thanks for all the replys, ummm... about spyware, i did not connect the computer to the internet yet and these problems were still occuring, so i dont think thats the problem, anyways i bought a new PSU and am gunna try it tonight after work, please give me any other thoughts

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I would bet money on that PSU. PSUs that come with the case are generally very low quality. Plus, 450 watts may be what it is advertised at but I doubt that it is providing anything near there. That is a weak PSU for your PC anyways.

DO you have access to a voltmeter? Doesn't have to be a good one. A $20 Raido Shack portable is fine, If so, then here is a guide that will help you check the voltages correctly. http://asustech.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=623

I suggest you try that (it is very easy to do) and see what your voltage drops to when you launch a game or some other stressful program.