Disable Page File = Faster Boot/Load Time?

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hello, all

I am the proud owner of a Windows 7 Ultime comp with 6gb ram, i7 920, etc...

I have had this comp for about 1.5 years, and it has been slowing down... The bootup time has slowly been increasing, and the amount of time for me to actually be able to use programs once I see the desktop has increased.

I have disabled all but the completely necessary startup programs/services, but this does not seem to help.

Whenever I start up my computer, sometimes I open task manager and check out the performance window and every time my computer is slow, I see the hard faults skyrocket. At startup, the thing is over the max shown on the graph for a while. To my knowledge, the hard faults/sec represent that the computer is either writing to or reading from the page file.

Anyway, down to the real question: Would disabling the page file decrease startup times, by forcing the computer to write everything to the ram, instead of tying up the already-slow hdd by writing/reading the page file?

Thanks!

I don't think disabling the pagefile will make any difference. You can only get away with disabling the pagefile if you have enough RAM for everything to fit into memory, and if that's the case the pagefile is going to see minimal usage anyway. Windows doesn't put stuff into the pagefile just because it's there, it only puts stuff into the pagefile if it can't find free pages in memory to use.