Windows 2000 file search fails

Greetings readers,

I have the following issue,

Win2k SP4 "search for files or folders" stopped searching
inside folders, even though the "search subfolders" option is enabled
(in fact I can't really disabled it since it automatically re-enables
itself the next time I open a search)

>From what I can see, search for files now looks only in the Root c:\
dir and inside "Documents and Settings" (i.e. my documents etc) - it
ignores all other disk folders, and I can also see this from the names
of folders searched that briefly flashes on the bottom line when I
start a search. It only searches in folders if I explicitly direct it
(with "browse" option") to search in a specific folder.

I tried to enable and disable the indexing service (it has always been
disabled on my pc) but didn't fix it.

I also tried defrag, chkdsk /r, abd using a third party utility like
ransack search agent- it works perfectly, so I don't think its a disk
or network problem. Always logged in admin account. permissions are set
to read the entire drive.

by the way, when searching this machine from another machine on a
network, the other machine also searches only the above directories
(not the entire disk) unless using a third party utility. But the
other machine searches properly its own drive.

thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about windows 2000 file search fails

    "heruti" <heruti@lycos.com> wrote in message

    > Greetings readers,
    >

    > I have the following issue,
    >
    > Win2k SP4 "search for files or folders" stopped searching
    > inside folders, even though the "search subfolders" option is enabled
    > (in fact I can't really disabled it since it automatically re-enables
    > itself the next time I open a search)
    >
    > >From what I can see, search for files now looks only in the Root c:\
    > dir and inside "Documents and Settings" (i.e. my documents etc) - it
    > ignores all other disk folders, and I can also see this from the names
    > of folders searched that briefly flashes on the bottom line when I
    > start a search. It only searches in folders if I explicitly direct it
    > (with "browse" option") to search in a specific folder.
    >
    > I tried to enable and disable the indexing service (it has always been
    > disabled on my pc) but didn't fix it.
    >
    > I also tried defrag, chkdsk /r, abd using a third party utility like
    > ransack search agent- it works perfectly, so I don't think its a disk
    > or network problem. Always logged in admin account. permissions are set
    > to read the entire drive.
    >
    > by the way, when searching this machine from another machine on a
    > network, the other machine also searches only the above directories
    > (not the entire disk) unless using a third party utility. But the
    > other machine searches properly its own drive.
    >

    > thanks

    I don't have a direct answer to your question but I suggest
    you have a look at Copernic Desktop Search (http://www.copernic.com/).
    It is a free search engine that indexes all selected file types
    automatically in the background and shows them listed in
    date order.

    Even better: It also indexes all Outlook 2000 (and later
    versions) items! I can't understand why Copernic is free -
    they have no ads to bother you!

Windows 2000 Windows