Requesting a suggestion for a motherboard

Kuppo

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
What would be the cheapest motherboard that I can use for overclocking the Pentium D 805 2.66GhZ to 3.6 or 3.8GHz?

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Hitting those speeds with a PD805 shouldn't be that much of a strain on a 945P or P965 mobo, which go for around CAN$150. To hit 3.8 GHz, though, you might need to invest in some good cooling and a good quality PSU for voltage stability.

At stock, the PD805 runs at 133*20 = 2660 MHz. This means you need your Mobo to get up to 3600/20 = 180 MHz base clock speed (FSB 720). I've read forums where people have hit 3.8 GHz with an ASUS P5LD2 (same mobo as I use, 945P chip), with Vcore=1.45 and a 600 Watt PSU for stability. This was done on stock cooling, but really you can do better than stock.

Realistically, the only things hindering how well you can overclock your 805 are the chip's own capabilities and the voltage stability supplied by your PSU. A basic 945/965 board will easily hit base clock speeds of over 266 MHz, which would translate to 5.33 GHz!

Kuppo

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
hmm this is a good motherboard but i see its only PCI-E 4x
would it be a waste if i get a pci-e 16x graphics card?
because im debating between a 7600GS 512mb GDDR2 and the 7600GT 256mb GDDR3

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, it's a trash board, but it's cheap enough that you won't mind. After all, you are dealing with a trash CPU. This could be a great opportunity to burn things up in the process and learn from the experience.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
hmm then what do you suggest for a good budget motherboard?

Don't listen to Crashman, he's a moron. He thinks we should all buy motherboards with legacy ports on them. :)

I wouldn't waste your money on OCing a Pentium D. By the time you're done you could've just sold the computer and built yourself a newer more powerful computer. In fact, OCing is often kind of dumb in itself. Just wait a year and upgrade to something more powerful. Why even bother OCing unless you do it for fun and are set for life? OCing is pretty much a rich man's hobby and a poor man's way of entertaining himself with less money. It serves very little ACTUAL purpose. Kind of like video games. If you don't mind not playing the latest game or if you don't mind grabbing a bit to eat while you decode/encode a media file...then there's really no point in bothering with a lot of things that we techies love to tinker with. Just a thought. I'm sure I'll get hell for this one. :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've just lost track of the "cheap" boards that he might want to consider. Now as for you, well, you think companies should remove ports from boards, I get my boards free, so it only makes sense that if they remove the ports I should get the adapters free.

So buy me a set of adapters already.

Kuppo

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
can anyone suggest a good budget build then?
if possible that uses 333MHz ram and that has pci-e 16x slot
thanks

Kuppo

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
yea i guess i can wait a couple more weeks of using this shitty p4 1.8Ghz
but is the E4300 easy to overclock or anything?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
The problem with the ASRock motherboard, is lack of proper voltage adjustments. You would be very very unlikely to hit 3.8GHz with the 805(more likely ~3.3-3.4GHz). The PCIe x4 doesn't make as big of a difference as you'd expect, on low/mid-range cards. Anything faster than a 7900GT will show a bottleneck.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I've just lost track of the "cheap" boards that he might want to consider. Now as for you, well, you think companies should remove ports from boards, I get my boards free, so it only makes sense that if they remove the ports I should get the adapters free.

Hehe. :) Well if you get parts free...then what's a $5 part? The rest of us are buying $200+ mobos! And dammit, I WOULD buy you your first adapter set, if it meant future mobos were a bit cheaper for me and had more space with more modern tech!

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
The problem with the ASRock motherboard, is lack of proper voltage adjustments. You would be very very unlikely to hit 3.8GHz with the 805(more likely ~3.3-3.4GHz). The PCIe x4 doesn't make as big of a difference as you'd expect, on low/mid-range cards. Anything faster than a 7900GT will show a bottleneck.

Agreed. It's much like the jump to AGP, where the older cards didn't really see any benefit as they were designed to run on the slower slot. Amazingly, there are even regular PCI cards today that can keep up with some of today's graphics. At least one I know of is an X1300 built for PCI. Ok, so it can't really "keep up" but it can run some older games. Probably. =D

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
hmm then what do you suggest for a good budget motherboard?

Don't listen to Crashman, he's a moron. He thinks we should all buy motherboards with legacy ports on them. :)

I may be out there, or off base --- but it is pretty ballsy to be calling Crashman a moron.

Jack

I'm reminded of a song by AC/DC...:-D

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
can anyone suggest a good budget build then?
if possible that uses 333MHz ram and that has pci-e 16x slot
thanks

Don't pair an E6300 or anything else with PC-2700 ram. Save up more, buy a whole decent system at once. By the time you get around to upgrading RAM, your system could again be outdated. Most bang for the buck often means buying all at once.

Kuppo

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
well i was using a p4 3.2Ghz HT recently but the agp slot on the mobo shorted or something and it had no onboard graphics card so im stuck using my old 1.8GHz now
but im thinking instead of just replacing the mobo for the 3.2GHz i might as well just upgrade to a core 2 duo

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Hehe. :) Well if you get parts free...then what's a $5 part? The rest of us are buying $200+ mobos! And dammit, I WOULD buy you your first adapter set, if it meant future mobos were a bit cheaper for me and had more space with more modern tech!Nice....Quintuple posting. :roll:

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
well i was using a p4 3.2Ghz HT recently but the agp slot on the mobo shorted or something and it had no onboard graphics card so im stuck using my old 1.8GHz now
but im thinking instead of just replacing the mobo for the 3.2GHz i might as well just upgrade to a core 2 duo

If you have a decent AGP card and ram, might as well find a cheap board for your CPU.

But upgrading might be a good idea too, it seems like a decent time to do it. :)