Is Your DirecTV Picture Better Than Cable ?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 25, 2004 11:00:26 PM

I have a Pioneer Elite Pro HD510 TV. I recently upgraded from Qwest digital
cable (via S-video) to DirecTV using the Sony SAT300 receiver. The receiver
is connected to my TV via Monster component video cables. The picture on HD
satellite channels and OTA signals is amazing. However, I am very
disappointed with the picture quality on standard def channels. I haven't
cancelled my cable yet, so I have been doing a lot of A-B comparisons
between the two systems. The digital cable picture looks much cleaner and
crisp compared to DirecTV, especially on channels like Bravo, HBO,
Discovery, TCM, E!, TLC, etc. The DirecTV picture is much darker, and there
are obvious motion artifacts and 'fuzzy' borders around objects. Is this
normal ? If that is the case, I am switching back to cable. Why pay more for
the service and hardware when the picture is inferior. Has anyone else had
similar experiences, or is my receiver or installation faulty ?

Thanks,

John

More about : directv picture cable

Anonymous
April 25, 2004 11:00:27 PM

In regard to cable based HD vs satellite based HD, cable is better
quality (less compression) for the non-local channels. For local
channels your DirectTV box is using an over-the-air HD tuner so not
only do you get all the local channels in HD you get them at the best
quality. With cable local channels are piped though along with all the
other HD channel.

With non-HD programming the difference is usually almost unnoticable.
It could be that your TV is applying a comb-filter and possibly line
doubling to the S-Video input that isn't being applied to your
component input. Try hooking up your s-video cable to the DirectTV box
and switch over to s-video when you watch non-HD programming.

-Jeremy
New to HDTV? Check out my HDTV Buyers FAQ
http://hdtv.0catch.com

Scooter wrote in message news:<408c093c$0$35097$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>...
> I have a Pioneer Elite Pro HD510 TV. I recently upgraded from Qwest digital
> cable (via S-video) to DirecTV using the Sony SAT300 receiver. The receiver
> is connected to my TV via Monster component video cables. The picture on HD
> satellite channels and OTA signals is amazing. However, I am very
> disappointed with the picture quality on standard def channels. I haven't
> cancelled my cable yet, so I have been doing a lot of A-B comparisons
> between the two systems. The digital cable picture looks much cleaner and
> crisp compared to DirecTV, especially on channels like Bravo, HBO,
> Discovery, TCM, E!, TLC, etc. The DirecTV picture is much darker, and there
> are obvious motion artifacts and 'fuzzy' borders around objects. Is this
> normal ? If that is the case, I am switching back to cable. Why pay more for
> the service and hardware when the picture is inferior. Has anyone else had
> similar experiences, or is my receiver or installation faulty ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 6:11:32 PM

Scooter wrote:
> I have a Pioneer Elite Pro HD510 TV. I recently upgraded from Qwest
> digital cable (via S-video) to DirecTV using the Sony SAT300
> receiver. The receiver is connected to my TV via Monster component
> video cables. The picture on HD satellite channels and OTA signals is
> amazing. However, I am very disappointed with the picture quality on
> standard def channels. I haven't cancelled my cable yet, so I have
> been doing a lot of A-B comparisons between the two systems. The
> digital cable picture looks much cleaner and crisp compared to
> DirecTV, especially on channels like Bravo, HBO, Discovery, TCM, E!,
> TLC, etc. The DirecTV picture is much darker, and there are obvious
> motion artifacts and 'fuzzy' borders around objects. Is this normal ?
> If that is the case, I am switching back to cable. Why pay more for
> the service and hardware when the picture is inferior. Has anyone
> else had similar experiences, or is my receiver or installation
> faulty ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

My SD programming is better on DirecTV than cable for HBO and most of
the "better" cable channels like TNT/TBS. SD Locals sometimes look a
little better on cable, but cable has a lot of analog noise. Even with
the compression on the locals over DirecTV, I'd take it over cable. You
just may need to calibrate your component input on the TV for the
DirecTV signal. Try hooking your DVD player up to the same input and
calibrate using Avia or DVE.

--
David G.
Anonymous

over the air is great if you dont get drop off. plus I live on Long Island so I
got to constantly move my antenna and point it in two different directions east
and west for respective channels
End higher ticket prices! Go to local college games!
!