Unable to delete shortcut files after upgrade

Hi all

In previous Windows 2000 Professional, I have some shortcuts files (.lnk) in a folder that installed from Palm development tools,
but after remove W2K and upgrade to XP Professional (harddisk not formatted), I cannot delete these shortcuts but other files have
not this problem (exe, txt ... etc.), I tried to rename these files and change the shortcut target, the result is the same (I have
not change any authority for this folder). And I cannot change these files nature from read-only, or reset anything from advanced
page (even I login with administrator). Does anyone have the solution to solve this problem without format HD and reinstall XP?

Any help would be appreciated.

Harry
3 answers Last reply
More about unable delete shortcut files upgrade

    "HarryLai" <nospam.harrylhy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > In previous Windows 2000 Professional, I have some shortcuts files
    > (.lnk) in a folder that installed from Palm development tools, but
    > after remove W2K and upgrade to XP Professional (harddisk not
    > formatted), I cannot delete these shortcuts but other files have not
    > this problem (exe, txt ... etc.), I tried to rename these files and
    > change the shortcut target, the result is the same (I have not change
    > any authority for this folder). And I cannot change these files
    > nature from read-only, or reset anything from advanced page (even I
    > login with administrator). Does anyone have the solution to solve
    > this problem without format HD and reinstall XP?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >

    > Harry

    delete undeletable files:
    Can't Delete a File or Folder in XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
    You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Hi,

    Ignore the "read only" attribute, as it has nothing to do with this (this is
    normal on a folder, and is ignored by the system). Start/run cmd, then
    navigate to the parent directory housing the folder. Use RD /s /q
    <folder_name> to remove it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "HarryLai" <nospam.harrylhy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > In previous Windows 2000 Professional, I have some shortcuts files (.lnk)
    > in a folder that installed from Palm development tools,
    > but after remove W2K and upgrade to XP Professional (harddisk not
    > formatted), I cannot delete these shortcuts but other files have
    > not this problem (exe, txt ... etc.), I tried to rename these files and
    > change the shortcut target, the result is the same (I have
    > not change any authority for this folder). And I cannot change these files
    > nature from read-only, or reset anything from advanced
    > page (even I login with administrator). Does anyone have the solution to
    > solve this problem without format HD and reinstall XP?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >

    > Harry

    Thanks Frank and Rick, after I disabled simplified sharing and reset the permissions, I can delete it.

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:u5fj8TRCFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    > "HarryLai" <nospam.harrylhy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > In previous Windows 2000 Professional, I have some shortcuts files
    > > (.lnk) in a folder that installed from Palm development tools, but
    > > after remove W2K and upgrade to XP Professional (harddisk not
    > > formatted), I cannot delete these shortcuts but other files have not
    > > this problem (exe, txt ... etc.), I tried to rename these files and
    > > change the shortcut target, the result is the same (I have not change
    > > any authority for this folder). And I cannot change these files
    > > nature from read-only, or reset anything from advanced page (even I
    > > login with administrator). Does anyone have the solution to solve
    > > this problem without format HD and reinstall XP?
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >

    > > Harry
    >
    > delete undeletable files:
    > Can't Delete a File or Folder in XP