Unable to delete shortcut files after upgrade

February 2, 2005 5:23:28 PM

Hi all

In previous Windows 2000 Professional, I have some shortcuts files (.lnk) in a folder that installed from Palm development tools,
but after remove W2K and upgrade to XP Professional (harddisk not formatted), I cannot delete these shortcuts but other files have
not this problem (exe, txt ... etc.), I tried to rename these files and change the shortcut target, the result is the same (I have
not change any authority for this folder). And I cannot change these files nature from read-only, or reset anything from advanced
page (even I login with administrator). Does anyone have the solution to solve this problem without format HD and reinstall XP?

Any help would be appreciated.

Harry
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:23:29 PM

"HarryLai" <nospam.harrylhy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> In previous Windows 2000 Professional, I have some shortcuts files
> (.lnk) in a folder that installed from Palm development tools, but
> after remove W2K and upgrade to XP Professional (harddisk not
> formatted), I cannot delete these shortcuts but other files have not
> this problem (exe, txt ... etc.), I tried to rename these files and
> change the shortcut target, the result is the same (I have not change
> any authority for this folder). And I cannot change these files
> nature from read-only, or reset anything from advanced page (even I
> login with administrator). Does anyone have the solution to solve
> this problem without format HD and reinstall XP?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Harry

delete undeletable files:
Can't Delete a File or Folder in XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi,

Ignore the "read only" attribute, as it has nothing to do with this (this is
normal on a folder, and is ignored by the system). Start/run cmd, then
navigate to the parent directory housing the folder. Use RD /s /q
<folder_name> to remove it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"HarryLai" <nospam.harrylhy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> In previous Windows 2000 Professional, I have some shortcuts files (.lnk)
> in a folder that installed from Palm development tools,
> but after remove W2K and upgrade to XP Professional (harddisk not
> formatted), I cannot delete these shortcuts but other files have
> not this problem (exe, txt ... etc.), I tried to rename these files and
> change the shortcut target, the result is the same (I have
> not change any authority for this folder). And I cannot change these files
> nature from read-only, or reset anything from advanced
> page (even I login with administrator). Does anyone have the solution to
> solve this problem without format HD and reinstall XP?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Harry

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:56:00 PM

Thanks Frank and Rick, after I disabled simplified sharing and reset the permissions, I can delete it.

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:u5fj8TRCFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...