Why are all the widescreen laptops and computer monitors 1..

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
April 25, 2004 7:32:21 PM

Why didn't they just start making them 16:9?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
April 25, 2004 10:03:05 PM

"Chop Top" <mail@server.com> wrote in message
> Why didn't they just start making them 16:9?

It leaves a little room for menus and controls while still displaying a full
16:9 frame.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
April 26, 2004 1:15:17 AM

But, don't the menus and controls auto-hide anyway?
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
April 26, 2004 1:15:18 AM

> But, don't the menus and controls auto-hide anyway?

I guess it depends on how you like your desktop set up. All of the players
have setting to maintain the aspect ratio so it really doesn't matter all
that much anyway.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
April 26, 2004 6:07:47 PM

Chop Top wrote:
> Why didn't they just start making them 16:9?

A 1280x720 laptop screen would push the minimum limits in vertical
resolution for computer use. I think the 768 in a 1024x768 screen pushes
the limits as well, but at least these panels are cheap to produce since
they're the most produced. Widescreen panels are more expensive to
produce. I don't think widescreen laptops were necessarily designed for
HD use in mind. Probably more like watching movies and DVDs are
available most of the time in 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 which would require
different resolutions than HD. The panel manufacturers may also be
looking to get the maximum number of screens from the large panels from
which these smaller ones are cut.

--
David G.
!