Help with Ram Error on upgrade

goose36

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Hey Guys,

I have a quick question. I recently bought another 2 GB's of Corsair XMS memory for my system giving me a total of 4GB. I stuck the new sticks in and it seemed like there was an issue. I ram memtest and found errors. Since I was overclocked, I decided to put everything stock. Ran 5 hours overnight and found errors. When I took the 2 good modules and tested the new ones no errors found.

Do you have any idea why that would be?

goose36

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I am running XP Pro 32-bit. My errors are occuring in Memtest after POST not in an OS environment. In windows it shows 3GB as I expected but it ran funny with a couple of address errors which prompted me to test in memtest. It's weird since when I put the 2 sticks I bought it works fine. Even when I put my original 2 alone it's ok, it's only when I put all four at one time that I get errors. It's weird as hell! 8O

ninjaquick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I dont know what to say man, maybe its your motherboard, maybe it is something else. You prolly tried running 3 rather than 4 right? maybe ur mobo has issues with the four slots being used.

goose36

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Yeah, who knows. I am going to RMA them and see if the new ones do the same thing. Thanks for your time guys :p

ninjaquick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Well, It may not be the ram. Im leaning towards it being a motherboard issue, but if that works (that its bad ram) youll be saving the 125-250 investment in a new mobo :p