Built-in bluetooth in a desktop?

bighop

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I want to put bluetooth into my upcoming build, but the only thing I can find are USB dongles and ways to put it into a laptop. Any ideas for this?

Thanks

bighop

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
most like link 1, I think, though I would like it to be completely internal and not use an expansion slot. the newegg link would work, but my MB will have Wifi, so I don't need another card with Wifi

Link2 goes to a mini pci card, can you use those in a desktop?

Would using one of the internal notebook adapters wired to an empty USB header on the MB and left inside the case work?

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
sry about that the mini pci card wouldnt work it says for notebooks only. i really dont know what to tell you. i just googled it to see what was available. finding some bluetooth pci card would be the only option since you dont want a usb one.

Would using one of the internal notebook adapters wired to an empty USB header on the MB and left inside the case work?

that i dont know, what do you mean by internal notebook adapters?

the only other option i can think of is to get a bluetooth pcmcia card and a pcmcia card to pci adapter pcmcia card adapter

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Would bluetooth even work inside a metal PC case? Laptops are plastic, allowing the signal through but not desktops. BTW I have a bluetooth usb adapter and it is the most difficult to set up, most unreliable piece of computer equipment I have ever worked with. Love my non-bluetooth wireless keyboard & mouse and wifi activesync and avoid bluetooth.

Jo

bighop

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
I guess most of the internal laptop additions are just bluetooth dongle with the outside plastic ripped off.

I don't know about the metal case. I read somewhere that the antec p180 case walls are plastic though.

I realized that the one PCI card you found was from a place in Germany. Don't want to have to deal with all that.

Looks like there's no easy way to do it, and since practically no one has replied I guess no one sees the need for it. I just thought it would be nice, I could hook my axim up and transfer stuff faster, and use my bluetooth headset with skype and stuff.

It's not that necessary, so I'm going to abandon this idea.

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
The best I can think of is a USB Bluetooth connector. If your really want it inside the system, buy a PCI card with some external USB 2.0 ports (you can never have too many USB ports!) and at least one internal USB port... it'll probably say something like 4+1 USB2.0 PCI Card... or buy a cheap bracket with two USB 2.0 on it... it hooks directly into your mobo (no PCI). Unscrew the connectors from the bracket and just let it sit in the bottom of your case.

I don't know much about interferance... I'd recommend just connecting externally.